ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Inexpensive cable cover  (Read 15655 times)

Micky Basiliere

Re: Inexpensive cable cover
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 11:43:46 PM »

hmmmmm..... NOT!!! heavy duty rubber mat, and be done with it...good for ALL surfaces! :)

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 09:12:39 AM »

I'm thinking that rolling a wheelchair over it may be a problem, from a purchasers standpoint as well as an elderly occupany of said chair.

The audio company I freelance for used cut pvc pipes to cover the snake at Clearwater festival a couple of weeks ago.  The "Access" crew at this festival is the most intense I have ever seen.  I was told the festival has won awards and grants from the state of New York for its access.  They did not have an issue with this method of covering the snake run.  They did have a problem with James McMurtrey inviting the audience down to the front to dance in the vast area that had been reserved for wheelchairs but was empty at the time.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 09:35:30 AM »

I'm thinking that rolling a wheelchair over it may be a problem, from a purchasers standpoint as well as an elderly occupany of said chair.

I had a long reply to this that somehow has vanished.  The DigiDog must have eaten my homework, honest!

FWIW, a regular Yellow Jacket or similar product isn't ADA compliant for wheel chairs, either.  There are accessory approach ramps that lock onto the Yellow Jacket and provide the 1/8" rise per running foot that ADA specifies.  IIRC these ramps are >US$400 per pair.  Making an entire snake run ADA compliant would be very expensive.

ADA access is something that needs to be discussed with venue (indoors) and organizer/promoter (outdoors), or both.  Venues that regularly host public events are supposed to have a plan and materials for access.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Gensman

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 02:10:16 PM »

To answer some of the questions..here are my observations.

The ABS pipe is not hard enough that you can't roll a wheel chair over it. It simply flattens out..but it spreads the load over the snake instead of concentrating it where the wheels cross.

I had one person in a powered chair cross and the pipe simply flattens.

Trip hazard...yes. Cable laying on grass...trip hazard. Yellow Jackets..trip hazard. Carpet..trip hazard. Anything would be a trip hazard.

Rolls of carpet..great idea. After three days in a pouring rain storm just what I want to roll up and put on top of all my gear in my trailer. Plus twenty times the weight, easy to get all muddy, will blow away in heavy winds (we had 40 mile gusts at this festival in the Columbia Gorge).. so.. not so much.

On pavement they work equally well. I simply use small bungee cords to go under the snake and around the cable protector. The snake holds them down.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 02:23:52 PM »

To answer some of the questions..here are my observations.

The ABS pipe is not hard enough that you can't roll a wheel chair over it. It simply flattens out..but it spreads the load over the snake instead of concentrating it where the wheels cross.

I had one person in a powered chair cross and the pipe simply flattens.

Trip hazard...yes. Cable laying on grass...trip hazard. Yellow Jackets..trip hazard. Carpet..trip hazard. Anything would be a trip hazard.

Rolls of carpet..great idea. After three days in a pouring rain storm just what I want to roll up and put on top of all my gear in my trailer. Plus twenty times the weight, easy to get all muddy, will blow away in heavy winds (we had 40 mile gusts at this festival in the Columbia Gorge).. so.. not so much.

On pavement they work equally well. I simply use small bungee cords to go under the snake and around the cable protector. The snake holds them down.

What does your liability insurance carrier say about home-made cable covers.........assuming you carry insurance.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mark Gensman

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 01:07:04 AM »

What does your liability insurance carrier say about home-made cable covers.........assuming you carry insurance.

Dick, I do carry liability insurance but it is not specific to any particular type of equipment or gear. My carrier has no idea what kind of equipment I use and any injuries caused by any equipment are covered if I am negligent. Do you have to list all your equipment in your liability insurance coverage? I have never had to do that in 35 years of running sound.

Screaming yellow cable covers are much safer than cables laying on the ground that have frequently been tripped on by dancers, kids, etc.

This particular festival had a native American dance exhibition with sixty or more folks dancing in a circle....with my cable covers running right through the middle of the circle. Everyone danced over the cables and nobody tripped. I can only imagine what would have hapened if I would have had the snake and power cable just laying on the ground.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 09:15:28 AM »

Dick, I do carry liability insurance but it is not specific to any particular type of equipment or gear. My carrier has no idea what kind of equipment I use and any injuries caused by any equipment are covered if I am negligent. Do you have to list all your equipment in your liability insurance coverage? I have never had to do that in 35 years of running sound.

Screaming yellow cable covers are much safer than cables laying on the ground that have frequently been tripped on by dancers, kids, etc.

This particular festival had a native American dance exhibition with sixty or more folks dancing in a circle....with my cable covers running right through the middle of the circle. Everyone danced over the cables and nobody tripped. I can only imagine what would have hapened if I would have had the snake and power cable just laying on the ground.

Dick's question is one of product liability.  It's one thing to *use* someone else's product, have a member of the public trip, and another thing to *design & build* a product, use it have a member of the public trip.

Chances are almost 100% that your liability insurance does NOT cover product liability.

The way an attorney might pursue this:  The jury believes your yellow PVC meets the "reasonable person" test, so he goes after the product itself, finds a way to show the design is deficient, the material choice inappropriate for the use, etc... should the jury buy that argument, your insurance does not cover you.

That's what Dick was sayin'.

That all said, I'm of the mind that you did meets the reasonable person test and for juries in my area, that would probably be good enough to prevent a huge award...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Gensman

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 12:43:09 PM »

Dick's question is one of product liability.  It's one thing to *use* someone else's product, have a member of the public trip, and another thing to *design & build* a product, use it have a member of the public trip.

Chances are almost 100% that your liability insurance does NOT cover product liability.

The way an attorney might pursue this:  The jury believes your yellow PVC meets the "reasonable person" test, so he goes after the product itself, finds a way to show the design is deficient, the material choice inappropriate for the use, etc... should the jury buy that argument, your insurance does not cover you.

That's what Dick was sayin'.

That all said, I'm of the mind that you did meets the reasonable person test and for juries in my area, that would probably be good enough to prevent a huge award...

Well, we have gone a long way from inexpensive cable covers to liability laws, juries and product liability.

As everyone should know, an attorney can sue a ham sadnwich and you could get sued for anything at anytime by an overzealous lawyer working on contingency.

Been there, done that.

In the meantime, my inexpensive cable covers worked great. (And they aren't PVC, they are ABS).

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 03:57:37 PM »

In the meantime, my inexpensive cable covers worked great. (And they aren't PVC, they are ABS).

Was the 4" guess correct?
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Mark Gensman

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 07:16:42 PM »

Was the 4" guess correct?

Sorry Dan, I've been off at another festival.

No..they are 3 inch diameter pipes..

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 07:16:42 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.