ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: PA Newbie  (Read 5577 times)

chad kaleb

PA Newbie
« on: June 27, 2011, 08:02:56 PM »

I have just started running the PA for my band. Right now what I have for power is a Behringer 4000 watt power amp, and a QSC 850 power amp.  Right now I am running the mains on one channel of the Behringer and Subs on the other through the Main outs, and running the monitors with the QSC out of the AUX out of the mixer.  I know this is a very basic setup, but is this the best way to set this up, like I said I just started and dont really know a whole lot.  Any help would be Appreciated.

Taylor Phillips

Re: PA Newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:47:15 PM »

I have just started running the PA for my band. Right now what I have for power is a Behringer 4000 watt power amp, and a QSC 850 power amp.  Right now I am running the mains on one channel of the Behringer and Subs on the other through the Main outs, and running the monitors with the QSC out of the AUX out of the mixer.  I know this is a very basic setup, but is this the best way to set this up, like I said I just started and dont really know a whole lot.  Any help would be Appreciated.
What speakers are you using?  Do you have a graphic EQ or a crossover?  Any effects?

Is the main out split somewhere between the mixer and the amp, or do you have the Left output going to the main speakers and the Right output to the subs (or vice versa)? -That's how I would do it, so you can put the bass instruments in the subs and keep the treble out using the pan controls and also have a fader for the overall sub volume. 

You have two channels on the QSC as well, so if you have another aux send on the mixer, you can have two different monitor mixes.  With two mixes, I would make one mix for the bassist and drummer, the other mix for everyone else.

Albert Thomas

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 09:52:17 PM »

It sounds like you're putting your available power to work the best way. The QSC 850 puts out around 200 into 8 ohms
vs. 450 for the 4000, so the Behr is the best choice for the mains and sub.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 10:03:41 PM »

Sounds like a good start. You'll probably get some hate for the Behringer, but I'd take them over some other budget options for sure, do keep on eye out for some good deals. Guys upgrade from XTi's to I-Techs (or RMX to PL, etc) all the time so you could benefit from that. Aside from that, just spend some time reading articles here on PSW, and then try to apply that learning when your out gigging, it takes time but you'll learn the ropes soon enough.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

chad kaleb

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 04:40:59 PM »

What speakers are you using?  Do you have a graphic EQ or a crossover?  Any effects?

Is the main out split somewhere between the mixer and the amp, or do you have the Left output going to the main speakers and the Right output to the subs (or vice versa)? -That's how I would do it, so you can put the bass instruments in the subs and keep the treble out using the pan controls and also have a fader for the overall sub volume. 

You have two channels on the QSC as well, so if you have another aux send on the mixer, you can have two different monitor mixes.  With two mixes, I would make one mix for the bassist and drummer, the other mix for everyone else.

The speakers we have are 2 500 watt JBLs for the mains, and 2 peavey 18" for the Subs.  I dont have any eqs or crossovers, the only other thing I have besides the power amps is an effects processor. I have the left output going to the main speakers and the right going to the right to the subs.  I didnt even think about panning to put all the bass instruments in the subs and keep the treble out.  One thing I did notice is that the subs were not pounding as much as they have before with the other setup my ex lead singer had, could that be because I had all the vocals and everything else coming through the subs and not just the bass instruments.

Derek Konop

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 04:50:56 PM »

The speakers we have are 2 500 watt JBLs for the mains, and 2 peavey 18" for the Subs.  I dont have any eqs or crossovers, the only other thing I have besides the power amps is an effects processor. I have the left output going to the main speakers and the right going to the right to the subs.  I didnt even think about panning to put all the bass instruments in the subs and keep the treble out.  One thing I did notice is that the subs were not pounding as much as they have before with the other setup my ex lead singer had, could that be because I had all the vocals and everything else coming through the subs and not just the bass instruments.

The first thing you are going to want to do to get the most out of the speakers and power you have is to get a crossover. For a simple setup a two way crossover will get only the low signal you need (100hz or so and below) to the subs and only the mid and high signal to the tops.

Derek
Trying to think of something clever to put here.

chad kaleb

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 06:43:44 PM »

The first thing you are going to want to do to get the most out of the speakers and power you have is to get a crossover. For a simple setup a two way crossover will get only the low signal you need (100hz or so and below) to the subs and only the mid and high signal to the tops.

Derek

This maybe a stupid question, but what is the crossover used for

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 07:07:39 PM »

This maybe a stupid question, but what is the crossover used for
What you really need to do with your system is be able to send only the subwoofer signal to its channel on the power amp, and send only the 'top box' (JBL) signal to its channel on the power amp.  That is what the filters of a crossover do.  In your case, a frequency in the 80-100Hz range is the dividing line.

For our purposes, a crossover is a complimentary pair of filters that attenuate part of the signal that is applied to them.  In a 2-way crossover you would have a Low Pass Filter (LPF) and a High Pass Filter (HPF).  They do exactly what their names imply.

When we say "complimentary" it means the frequency at which these behaviors take place is basically the same.  There are other considerations, but for right now we can leave it at that.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Derek Konop

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 07:39:39 PM »

What you really need to do with your system is be able to send only the subwoofer signal to its channel on the power amp, and send only the 'top box' (JBL) signal to its channel on the power amp.  That is what the filters of a crossover do.  In your case, a frequency in the 80-100Hz range is the dividing line.

For our purposes, a crossover is a complimentary pair of filters that attenuate part of the signal that is applied to them.  In a 2-way crossover you would have a Low Pass Filter (LPF) and a High Pass Filter (HPF).  They do exactly what their names imply.

When we say "complimentary" it means the frequency at which these behaviors take place is basically the same.  There are other considerations, but for right now we can leave it at that.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

I should have specified, an active crossover is what you want. It used to send only the desired signal to the corresponding channels on each amp you are using so that channel on the amp is producing only the frequencies that you want to send.to the speaker. Whether it be the mids and highs going to you jbl's or the lows going to the Peavey subs. Use the search function here and look through the archived forums to learn all you can. Like Tim said, have fun!

Derek
Trying to think of something clever to put here.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 07:45:24 PM »

And let's be practical also. You don't need anything more at this stage than a basic analog crossover. So the system become Board, EQ, etc. (if you have them), xover, amplifiers, speakers in that order.

As Tim states above, the xover seperates the highs from the lows, so the low outputs from the xover feed the amplifier used for the subs, and the high outputs from the xover feed the amplifier for the main cabinets.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 07:45:24 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.