ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Outdoor Portable Stage - Monitor Placement  (Read 6382 times)

Glenn May

Outdoor Portable Stage - Monitor Placement
« on: June 27, 2011, 06:07:59 PM »

They close up for transport and open on three sides for use at Fair grounds and small outdoor concerts.  I have so far avoided them but now I have an engagement where I will be doing sound for an event that will be using one.  My question is what happens when floor monitors are used on these rigs.  They would seem to provide a relatively low ceiling for sound from the monitors to bounce off of.  Even if the roof is angled up I am concerned about sound bouncing back into the front of the microphones.  Inside small bars where the rooms have low ceilings and small stage spaces I often do better using the wedges as side fills would this be a place to do that?

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
Re: Outdoor Portable Stage - Monitor Placement
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 06:26:19 PM »

They close up for transport and open on three sides for use at Fair grounds and small outdoor concerts.  I have so far avoided them but now I have an engagement where I will be doing sound for an event that will be using one.  My question is what happens when floor monitors are used on these rigs.  They would seem to provide a relatively low ceiling for sound from the monitors to bounce off of.  Even if the roof is angled up I am concerned about sound bouncing back into the front of the microphones.  Inside small bars where the rooms have low ceilings and small stage spaces I often do better using the wedges as side fills would this be a place to do that?

I hate Show Mobiles!  Hopefully the one you will be in will have drape on the back wall.  Many do since they are a pain in the butt to deal with sonically.

Use your monitors as you normally would.  Expect your EQ curves to look a little different and sometimes completely bizarre to ring out the monitors.

In the past I have experimented with adjusting the roof angle with varying success.

Goodluck.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 11:01:42 PM »

We have played 2 years in a row on showmobiles, and monitors were fine. Not great, but that could have been because they were ancient JBL boxes. Our roof was also angled pretty high up, no drape on it either year.

I'd place them normally and EQ to taste.

Sam Zuckerman

• Baltimore, MD
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 11:33:05 PM »

If it opens front and back you'll be fine. I remember we had a (well, many) gig where in only opened in the front so the drummers back was against a wall. Sweet lord did it ever feed back.

You should be fine though. Just ring 'em out real well and you'll be OK.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 09:08:46 AM »

#1.  Avoid firing any wedges directly at the back wall.  Angle them wherever possible.

#2.  I use a pair of side wash monitors firing across stage for vocals.  Set them on tripods and get them up at head height.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Derek Konop

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 07:51:38 PM »

#1.  Avoid firing any wedges directly at the back wall.  Angle them wherever possible.

#2.  I use a pair of side wash monitors firing across stage for vocals.  Set them on tripods and get them up at head height.

I'll second the sidewash or sidefill monitors idea. My 3 piece band uses a side fill on each side of the stage and we love them. Like Dick said, up on poles and blasting right at ear level. It works great for us because we only have two guys up front so I've got one right by my melon and the other Guy has one right by his. We haven't really had any volume before feedback issues onstage for as long as I can remember, even with minimal time spent ringing them out.

If you've got a four or five piece band then you obviously need wedges to accommodate the fellas in the middle of the stage.

Good luck!
Trying to think of something clever to put here.

Jason Phair

• Marketplace
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 08:10:40 PM »

As others have said, a drape on the backwall is your friend.  The city owns a showmobile here (2, actually), and I do a bunch of small gigs during the summer on it.  Usually those rigs end up having WSX subs, which I cluster in the middle.  The height tends to match up pretty well with the deck, so I put downstage wedges there, which helps a bit.  Sometimes the sub coming back from the clustered wedges is an issue, but it tends to be kind of a pick your poison situation.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 09:23:05 PM »

As others have said, a drape on the backwall is your friend. 

The only way I know to put any kind of "drape" on the rear wall of such stages is to have a bunch of clamps to fasten some "nailers" to the metal frame, then deck screw some stringers across the top and hang your drape from that.

Most cities frown on self-tapping screws into the metal............
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

chuck clark

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 07:30:26 PM »

I often do better using the wedges as side fills would this be a place to do that?

YES!
Chuck

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 07:30:26 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.