ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: System drive computers  (Read 10075 times)

Bill Fuss

System drive computers
« on: January 20, 2011, 09:46:36 AM »

Hey yall. 1st post to the new boards. Woo hoo.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a dedicated rack mount/mini computer for system drive applications.
One I was looking at is,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856176006

This computer would probably be running LA Manager/Smaart/Studio Manager/and maybe Soundvision.

The idea is the computer is just another part of the system like an amp or a cabinet. It wont be on the net except for updates and stuff.

I'm curious as to what everyone else is doing. Or is just bringing another laptop the way to go?

Thanks guys. Bill.

edit. punctuation.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:49:02 AM by Bill Fuss »

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
Re: System drive computers
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:16:13 AM »

Looks like it is a pretty solid computer to throw in a rack. What OS are you planning on running on it? I didn't see what when scanning over the specs?

I have had good luck with a mac mini as a show computer running bootcamp and windows xp pro. I like the form factory and have never had an issue with any of them, but they cost a bit more than the computer you are looking at.

As far as having a rack mount computer vs a laptop, I have both. It is nice to have one solid rack mount computer that you know will run everything and is prewired in a rack that gets set up the same way regularly. Seems to save a bit of time. I keep my laptop for running show material and remote desktop type applications. I am also running all the same software on my laptop should the rack mount computer die on a show I have a backup for it.

Hope this help.
Steven
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Bill Fuss

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 11:47:02 AM »

It would most likely run xp but 7 is an option as well. It has an upgrade option of 4 gigs of ram and a 500 gig hd. There are a ton of these mini barebones pc's out there.

My plan is to mount this in a rack right next to a wireless router in one or two spaces. Then have a drawer to hold a monitor and keyboard.

My main concern is would the processor be able to handle having several of these programs running at the same time? And would the graphics card hold up to running Smaart and or Soundvision?

Another big thing is this will only get used as a system computer. A lot of guys are using laptops that they also use for personal stuff, and inherently they get gunked up with crap. Pictures/music/facebook/malware/yadda yadda. Having a dedicated system controller off the net would let it perform at its best.

Of course I will always have a laptop for remoting in to the head unit or in the event of the rackmount computer failing.

Steven, how did you go about rackmounting your mini mac? Got any pics?

Thanks, Bill.

Tom Reid

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 02:07:15 PM »

Computers are noisy.
Puchasing today you have a lot of options.
Good cooling fans have db ratings.
If your CPU fan, or case fans don't have db ratings find one that does.
SSD drives are scary quiet.  And they are coming way down in price.
With proper fans, and an SSD drive, you may have to look if the power indicator is lit to tell if the computer is on.
Antec makes good cases, and they make rack mount cases too.
Parting a new computer should be a fun experience.
I use this site.
http://pricewatch.com

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 07:35:36 AM »

If you are concerned about running multiple programs, but 2 computers.
You can switch your monitor/keyboard/mouse between them.
Let's face it, they are cheap!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 07:42:51 AM »

Bill,
I use a rack mounted system in it's own 16U rack. I mount a drawer above it for all the little things and have a full sized flat screen mounted above the drawer. When stacked on an amp rack that puts the drawer about waist high. When in use I pull out the drawer out and put the keyboard across it. Easy to use and everything packs up into one case for the trip home.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bill Fuss

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 11:46:09 AM »

@ Tom.
Noise isn't really that big of a concern, though I could see it being troublesome on some corpy type gigs. Thanks for the link.

@ Bob.
That's pretty much what I'm getting at.
My question is what type of computer could I use? Are you using one of them server type rackmount units?
I'm hoping one of those mini desktop jobbers would have enough power to run everything that I would need at a typical show.
Does anyone have experience with those units? I guess the only way to figure it out is just to do it. They're cheap enough, if it doesn't work I could find a use for it at the house.

Thanks, Bill.

Gregor Buser

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 02:43:56 PM »

I'm in the process of put one of these little computers into an M7. It is an asus EEE Box with atom 330. It doesn't have excesive power, but enough to run smaart, SM, Jingle/MP3 player and do some recordings, altough smaart taxes the cpu quite high.
The main problem I have, is with the Dante DVS, that has drop outs even with only 2 tracks. But it is not a problem of CPU, load is below 10% with 2 tracks.
Audinate suspects the issue in the driver/ chip from realtek, I'm also not sure if nvidia tricked a bit on chip set side.
But I guess, as long as you don't have high realtime/ throughput demands, you will be fine with it.

Danny J. Avila

• This Land is doomed...
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 10:15:19 PM »

Hi Bill.

I would go for this instead as is intended to be Rack mounted.

http://www.superlogics.com/industrial-computers/rack-mount-pc-computer/SL-2U-A10-GD-E/36-3643.htm#

There are some LCD Monitor + KB drawers out there to complement the "combo":

https://www.acnodes.com/Short-depth-drawer-under-20-inch_KD7170.htm

Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:18:41 PM by dannyavila »
Never take freedom for granted.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 08:30:59 AM »

I would go for this instead as is intended to be Rack mounted.
If you are looking for a professional, rack mount solution, Danny points the way.
I have seen the screen/keyboard system and it is excellent.
However, if you want it cheap, why not a laptop in a drawer?
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 08:30:59 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.