ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: needing help  (Read 7054 times)

dustin Bradley

needing help
« on: June 26, 2011, 06:58:39 PM »

We're looking to replace the existing PA.  We would like something scaleable, feeding audiences of 200 to 5,000.  We would also like something ground-stackable, able to run on minimum power (if possible), easy to set-up/teardown, powered or unpowered, and preferably budget-friendly.

I know this is probably in the searches, but I don't know how to search for this.  We're looking to do something very soon.

Please give some ideas to look at.  A JBL SRX rig of 4 tops, 4 sides, processing, and amps is about $22,000 new.  We're looking for something along those lines, etc..

Thoughts please:
~ dustin Bradley

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: needing help
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 07:01:19 PM »

We're looking to replace the existing PA.  We would like something scaleable, feeding audiences of 200 to 5,000.  We would also like something ground-stackable, able to run on minimum power (if possible), easy to set-up/teardown, powered or unpowered, and preferably budget-friendly.

I know this is probably in the searches, but I don't know how to search for this.  We're looking to do something very soon.

Please give some ideas to look at.  A JBL SRX rig of 4 tops, 4 sides, processing, and amps is about $22,000 new.  We're looking for something along those lines, etc..

Thoughts please:

Dynacord Cobra.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

dustin Bradley

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 07:03:31 PM »

We're currently using the Cobra system.  It's okay for indoor shows and smaller gigs outside, but it's not enough for the larger outdoor gigs.    :-(
(this system may be for sale very soon)
~ dustin Bradley

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 07:10:43 PM »

We're currently using the Cobra system.  It's okay for indoor shows and smaller gigs outside, but it's not enough for the larger outdoor gigs.    :-(
(this system may be for sale very soon)

It's scalable a la your requirements and can add more cabinets more easily than trap cabs.  I'd say just add more.  That's a big leap between 500 and 2000, but I've done much more than 2K folks with a Cobra 3 rig.  I wouldn't look a lot farther than expanding on what you have.  It's a great sounding system and is very compact and quick to set up as you know.

dustin Bradley

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 07:17:52 PM »

we have an older cobra-2 system... I really want something different. :-\
~ dustin Bradley

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 07:43:57 PM »

I really want something different. :-\
Okay, but why? Is your current system not performing to your expectations?  If so, HOW is it lacking? 

Does your rig require a proprietary black box from the manufacturer?  If so, and you don't have it, that could be a part of the problem.

Do you keep "running out of gas" or blowing drivers?

We need specifics before we can make more recommendations.  It would be nice to work within your current means rahter than outside of them, wouldn't it?
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

dustin Bradley

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 07:49:08 PM »

yes, the system runs out of gas quickly on outside gigs.  It seems to be fine for the first 75', then it's just downhill from there.  We have the Dynacord speaker management and EV amps.  The lows especially are lacking.

I would prefer the same system for small and larger gigs, but scaleable (small gigs: leave some of the PA on the truck).
~ dustin Bradley

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 07:54:16 PM »

yes, the system runs out of gas quickly on outside gigs.  It seems to be fine for the first 75', then it's just downhill from there.

Something's wrong here.  The Cobra 2 is rated to be 6dB down @ 50 meters IIRC and that's always seemed to be achievable.  If you need more LF they have some "longer throw" subs in the Cobra family.

Again, something seems wrong.  Could be the equipment, could be the expectations.  Hard to tell.  But I've always thought it to be one of the most scalable systems out there for the money.  YMMV and apparently does.

dustin Bradley

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 07:57:24 PM »

it could be my expectations.  maybe double the pa per side?  idk.
~ dustin Bradley

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 11:33:48 PM »

it could be my expectations.  maybe double the pa per side?  idk.

I never got to audition a Cobra rig, but my guess is you need a bigger venomous reptile.

Part of the reason you find the LF lacking at distance is likely the result of a "short line" or "dash" deployment.  If you're shy on subbage, you either need more of what you have, or move up to bigger-boy subs and figure out your own sub to LF processing.

From a business standpoint, how often do you need to go over 2000 pax?  At what SPL? What types of program material do you need to reproduce?  What is the coverage geometry of the venues you currently work?  There are lots of factors, and if you have to be able to do everything for everyone, you will need 2 systems, minimum and keep them both busy for at least 3 years.

If your current clients are happy with your PA, don't make a lateral move just to please yourself.  The PA is a business tool, not a big personal stereo.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 11:33:48 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.