ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 8 channels and 4 tubes  (Read 2781 times)

David Parker

8 channels and 4 tubes
« on: June 26, 2011, 04:37:58 pm »

Bought an ART Tubeopto 8 adat mic pre unit to replace my Behringer ADA 8000. Much better piece of kit! My question is, it has 8 channels of tube mic preamps, but only 4 tubes. How does that work?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: 8 channels and 4 tubes
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 05:16:49 pm »

Bought an ART Tubeopto 8 adat mic pre unit to replace my Behringer ADA 8000. Much better piece of kit! My question is, it has 8 channels of tube mic preamps, but only 4 tubes. How does that work?
Dual tridodes?  A very common cheap tube used in all sorts of audio gear.

I would assume a transformer input-then a single tube (OK- half a tube) gain stage-then converts to digital.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David Parker

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 05:30:26 pm »

I would assume a transformer input-then a single tube (OK- half a tube) gain stage-then converts to digital.

my first record player, about 1959, had a tube amp, as did the radio in the family car.

Joe Breher

• Front Range, CO, USA
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 08:52:09 pm »

I think Ivan pegged it. The 12AX7 has probably been the most ubiquitous tube on the face of the planet for several decades running now, and it happens to be a dual triode.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 11:00:47 pm »

I think Ivan pegged it. The 12AX7 has probably been the most ubiquitous tube on the face of the planet for several decades running now, and it happens to be a dual triode.

Correct. The 12AX7 is literally a pair of tubes and one of the most common tubes used for the first gain stage of a pre-amplifier circuit. It has a number of "cousins" in the 7025, 5751, 12AY7, 12AT7, 12AU6, each with a different but lower gain factor than the 12AX7. Each has it's own characteristics, but all of the tubes I mentioned are interchangable with one and another. Each will have a lower gain factor and different tone than the 12AX7. You may want to try swapping the tube for a pair of channels to see if performance, tone, or noise level is improved. The 5751 has slightly lower gain than the 12AX7, but many prefer the tube for it's great all around performance.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.