ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha LS-9, Dante card recording without gigabit switch?  (Read 4507 times)

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
Yamaha LS-9, Dante card recording without gigabit switch?
« on: June 24, 2011, 04:43:43 PM »

Hello and thanks to everyone for all of the useful info I have gotten from the LAB over the last couple of years! Since this is my first post, here's a little background info.

My production company does small to medium sized shows, and also houses a small recording studio. Because it can all be done in-house, we try to market live recording and studio mixdown to all of the bands and event producers who hire us for live events.

One of the venues we frequent has a house system with an LS9-32. I bought an ADAT card for it, and have used it a few times, in conjunction with an audio interface from our studio, to record bands live. I have the opportunity to make an even trade, my ADAT card for another guy's Dante card. I am tempted to make the trade, simply because I could bring a laptop to record a show, without having to de-rack an interface from the studio.

I would rarely need to record more than 16 channels at a time, and could still bring in my interface to take 8 more analogue channels if I ever needed to record 24 at once.

Here's the main question that the internet doesn't seem to have the answer to: Can I connect the Dante card directly to my laptop, without using a gigabit switch, since I am only using one Dante card?

All of the scenarios I find online involve multiple Dante cards, and thus require a switch. Thanks in advance.

Michael John

• Eclipse Audio
Re: Yamaha LS-9, Dante card recording without gigabit switch?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 06:27:02 PM »

Yes, I do this all the time.

If your laptop is relatively new (last few years), the NIC will autosense and so you won't need a crossover cable. Make sure you have the latest Dante Virtual Soundcard and Dante Controller installed - both are available from the Audinate website (although you'll need to contact them for a license). Installing these will also install Apple's Bonjour service. Your laptop will settle on a zero-conf ip address range (169.254.x.x) and you're good to go. I use Sony Vegas and both record the direct out's from an 01V96 over the MY16-AUD card, and play stereo audio back to the console.

Cheers,
Michael

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 06:52:44 PM »

Yes, I do this all the time.

If your laptop is relatively new (last few years), the NIC will autosense and so you won't need a crossover cable. Make sure you have the latest Dante Virtual Soundcard and Dante Controller installed - both are available from the Audinate website (although you'll need to contact them for a license). Installing these will also install Apple's Bonjour service. Your laptop will settle on a zero-conf ip address range (169.254.x.x) and you're good to go. I use Sony Vegas and both record the direct out's from an 01V96 over the MY16-AUD card, and play stereo audio back to the console.

Cheers,
Michael

Great! This will make setup nice and easy, and I like the idea of playing house music from the same laptop and CAT5 cable during set breaks. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,
Andrew

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 12:18:21 AM »

Great! This will make setup nice and easy, and I like the idea of playing house music from the same laptop and CAT5 cable during set breaks. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,
Andrew
Each Dante card is supplied with a license for the Virtual Sound Card. Be sure you get it transferred to you when you buy the (or otherwise acquire) the Dante Card or you will have to pay for it. Make it a real transfer as you need an account with Audinate for updates and such and the account will list the devices you own.
At the moment, the sales office in the USA manages the licenses for US customers until they get it set up on-line.

Get a copy of the DPC Latency checker and run it on your laptop. I had trouble with a Vista laptop even though it has plenty of horsepower. Something was messing up DPC latency which messes up streaming audio. My slow Pentium XP laptop works fine (but just barely) for up to 16 channels even with a 100mb interface.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 12:21:27 AM by Rob Spence »
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 12:18:21 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 1.004 seconds with 23 queries.