ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good SMALL drum wedge- any advice?  (Read 12913 times)

David Hoover

Re: Good SMALL drum wedge- any advice?
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 09:05:39 AM »

I am in the process of replacing all my wedges.  I'm currently using EV ZX-4's.  I'm switching to EAW SM-122's across the front and I need some suggestions for a good drum wedge.  This is for my small portable system so space is at a premium.  I was considering the SM-159 but I was told I might be happy with the bass response on it.  Any suggestions, kids?

Justin

If you don't want to loose your hearing get some cans or in ear headphones with excellent isolation and a headphone amp.  I wouldn't want my musicians loosing their hearing.  It's bad for everyone.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:07:13 AM by David Hoover »

Paul Thomas

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 09:41:56 AM »

Rolls Personal Monitor amp with some in-ears and a 15" & 1" wedge is a good choice.

Standard is the double 15 & 2. I have seen 18" wedges used for keys but not drums.

Best option personally is a KV2 EX2.2 sub with a small 10 & 1" on top will keep any drummer happy.

RCF325a seem passable in a few clubs. 

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 04:26:21 PM »

Right!  Those both fit the description of a "good SMALL drum wedge" perfectly!

Honestly I don't think there's very many small wedges/cabs that will handle the kind of sub that a smashy rock drummer will piss and moan about not having. If you do mostly jazz and acoustic gigs or work exclusively with seasoned old school drummers then you can get by on a wedge but the majority of drummers I work with want a big stupid loud as hell fill. Especially on an outdoor stage. For a small box to handle that I think I'd recommend a Microwedge w/ microsub or other high end cabs. If you work with the same drummer every gig put him/her on ears with a seat kicker. We've got a JBL 3 way with a 18" and it gets worked out fairly regularly in our smallish 550 cap room. A PD friend at a large 1000+ cap room in town has a EV dual 12"+2" on top of a dual 15" Danley sub and it's till not getting the job done. He's going to have to replace it with a dual 18" or a folded horn sub like the SB1000 or something. But it's all relative to the shows your working. Rock stars are often whinny bastards. And being rockstar drummer is almost like being a rockstar twice!   
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

Bill Burford

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 05:14:07 PM »

nothing is going to meet your space & bass requirement.  I recommend a powered 12" Behringer.
its the smallest speaker I put up on a stage (smaller than the other small ones). 
For how small it is, it's sound is right out in front and cuts through drums.
I think it "works" for chopping through snares and crashes.  your kick will provide the bass.. but it can add the higher frequencies to help..  A drummer asked me again for the 10th time in 3 years when I am going to put something up there that he can "feel"..
The other great thing about it is its small enough to fit inbetween most drum-hardware or in just behind the mic-stand. 
its my smallest monitor and it's always on drum duty and it gets the least complaints.  By that, I mean, I am hardly ever asked to turn it up.  It weighs little more than a passive speaker.

Behringer powered = perfect for you
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 05:27:27 PM by Bill Burford »
This forum helped me

Randall Hyde

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 07:19:42 PM »

I am in the process of replacing all my wedges.  I'm currently using EV ZX-4's.  I'm switching to EAW SM-122's across the front and I need some suggestions for a good drum wedge.  This is for my small portable system so space is at a premium.  I was considering the SM-159 but I was told I might be happy with the bass response on it.  Any suggestions, kids?

Justin
The folks at JBL were recommending a VRX 915m for this duty to me. Or you could use a small single 18" sub and stick an SM-122 on top of that (obvious truck pack issue, though).
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Bill Burford

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 10:20:46 PM »

I didn't know the 915M's existed.. nice.  I didn't like the 712M's for the money.  I actually liked the old mp415 better.
I'm glad I saw this due to my brand loyalty disorder
This forum helped me

Tom Reid

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 10:26:07 PM »

I didn't know the 915M's existed.. nice.  I didn't like the 712M's for the money.  I actually liked the old mp415 better.
I'm glad I saw this due to my brand loyalty disorder
The MRX512 is a cross between the MP and the SRX 12" wedge.
Quite a handy little box.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 05:52:32 PM »

I happen to be using some VRX915's today and can tell you that they are an ass-kicking wedge. Even when run passive.

Until you decide to go 3-way with something like an HPR153 or the like, you are stuck using a 15 inch wedge.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Doug Maye

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 06:27:34 AM »

Justin
Just how loud do you think you need? For festival work I use a QSC HPR122i sitting on top of a Proel Flash 15sa.Gives you just about the perfect height. At 5 ft this combination can make you deaf rather quickly. Bass players have a tendancy to like this combo also.

chuck clark

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 07:17:06 PM »

Hi Justin, I've spent over 20 yrs and a lot of money on this very problem. here's the findings: The problem is physics. You have a kick drum head about 3.5 feet from your head when your playing drums. to "re-inforce" that you need something that will move more air than that 22" or so, kick head.
After all manner of experimenting with various boxes, amps and bi-amping, here is what works.
Compact: in ears w/ a shaker on the drum throne.
Midsize: 2 Yamaha club V 15" or better, monitors (1 on either side with your head EXACTLY in the middle) off center will phase cancel and not work.
Medium large: Yamaha Club V 215's, or better.
Large: tons of stuff -as long as it has at least 2 beefy 15" spkrs. and plenty of power.

Lots of monitors w/ single 10, 12's or 15's will give you plenty off "attack" or "Punch" but it seems it takes at least 2 quality 15's with good power to move enough air to re-inforce the low end of a kik drum enough to be louder than the kik itself so the drummer can "feel" it.  Good luck, have fun!
Chuck

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 07:17:06 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.