Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Cellphone-related interference at major events

(1/3) > >>

Tracy Garner:
My company deploys wireless credit card terminals and some are in use by major concert merchandisers. Recently, we've had some recent communication-related issues. One in FL, one in Texas, and a few in other regions.

Supposedly, the carriers have awesome coverage in these areas. When the venue reaches around 15,000 people, we start having issues with our credit card terminals.

At the same time, IP networks may not be available at some venues. We need a backup solution when the credit card terminals lose signal.

Questions:
Do most major sound companies typically carry enough extra IP banwidth to support maybe 20-30 IP credit card terminals with a very small network imprint on their local networks?

Do the sound companies generally have their own connection to the internet with the IP networks they use for their SR gear?

Am I even barking up the right tree?

Rob Spence:

--- Quote from: Tracy Garner on June 23, 2011, 10:55:19 AM ---My company deploys wireless credit card terminals and some are in use by major concert merchandisers. Recently, we've had some recent communication-related issues. One in FL, one in Texas, and a few in other regions.

Supposedly, the carriers have awesome coverage in these areas. When the venue reaches around 15,000 people, we start having issues with our credit card terminals.

At the same time, IP networks may not be available at some venues. We need a backup solution when the credit card terminals lose signal.

Questions:
Do most major sound companies typically carry enough extra IP banwidth to support maybe 20-30 IP credit card terminals with a very small network imprint on their local networks?

Do the sound companies generally have their own connection to the internet with the IP networks they use for their SR gear?

Am I even barking up the right tree?

--- End quote ---

Gee, I would be surprised if "sound companies" connect "their" networks to the Internet at all. On the other hand, the "Production" may need Internet for some functions.

I would expect a few laptops carried by the sound folk to connect to a venue Internet connection though.

g'bye, Dick Rees:

--- Quote from: Tracy Garner on June 23, 2011, 10:55:19 AM ---

--- End quote ---

Coverage, yes.  Capacity?  Maybe not so much.

Andrew Hastings:
HI Tracy

As Dick says the problem is the Capacity of the system, the local cells will only
be able to connect a certain amount of callers at one time.
And 15,000 people would probably be two many.
Some cell companys would bring in extra transceiver masts,to the location, to add extra capacity to the local system, for the event.

There is one big job that i do every year, and up until they brought in extra capacity
transceiver masts, for the three day event last year.
You could not get an incoming or outgoing signal, on the second day between 1100am and 6.00pm
until some of the crowd went home, and then all your missed calls and text messages arrived to your phone around 6.30 pm ;D

Hope this helps

Andrew

Tracy Garner:

--- Quote from: Andrew Hastings on June 23, 2011, 12:25:29 PM ---HI Tracy

As Dick says the problem is the Capacity of the system, the local cells will only
be able to connect a certain amount of callers at one time.
And 15,000 people would probably be two many.
Some cell companys would bring in extra transceiver masts,to the location, to add extra capacity to the local system, for the event.

There is one big job that i do every year, and up until they brought in extra capacity
transceiver masts, for the three day event last year.
You could not get an incoming or outgoing signal, on the second day between 1100am and 6.00pm
until some of the crowd went home, and then all your missed calls and text messages arrived to your phone around 6.30 pm ;D

Hope this helps

Andrew

--- End quote ---

Exactly the info I'm looking for. I actually have an inquiry to understand how it might be possible to basically lock in coverage from one of those portable masts. Imagine the loss of sales at the absolute largest audiences when the credit card terminals fail to process during that short window of opportunity. At this point, its about 80% card vs cash sales these days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version