ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about TC Helicon Voiceworks  (Read 14839 times)

Sean Barry

Questions about TC Helicon Voiceworks
« on: June 23, 2011, 07:07:19 AM »

I am considering a TC Helicon Voiceworks for live shows. I have several questions about the unit for anyone with experience with it or a similar item. I would be useing it as a lead vocal channel strip with some verb and light harmonies.
1. Reliability, do they stand up on the road?
2. What is the difference between the Voiceworks and Voiceworks Plus? Is it worth twice the price for live shows?
3. Are there other, better options/brands of this type unit?
4. How would you rate the mic preamp as compared to mixer preamps, ie, Peavy vs AH vs Behringer vs Midas?
Thanks, Sean.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 12:00:45 PM by Sean Barry »

Vinny DAgostino

• Warwick, RI
Re: Questions about TC Helicon Voiceworks Enlarge F
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 09:37:58 AM »

I have the Voice Works Plus, been using it a little over a year now and its held up well.
Not really sure what all the differences are with the Plus unit, but I always end up kicking myself for not buying the better unit...so I just bought the better one!
It takes a while to get used to the programming, but once you get the hang of it it's not bad.
One thing I would suggest is using a splitter box: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SplitterBox/
I found it way to hard to control feedback in the monitors when not spliiting the signal.
Different effects have drastic levels (hot to soft) and it's very difficult to dial in if you plan on just using Mic/Processor/Mixer.
With splitting the Mic signal I get a clean dry signal for normal use and for the singers monitor send.
The processed signal I then blend in with the un-processed vocal, I also keep the processed vocal out of the monitor mix........some singers get lost hearing 3-5 different vocal harmonies at once!
Thats what has worked best for me.

Sean Barry

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 11:00:49 AM »

Thanks Vinnie, very helpful. I will have a separate monitor mix on stage and the signal will be split there so I should be OK right?

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »

One thing I would suggest is using a splitter box: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SplitterBox/

Isn't that a line level spiltter..?

Vinny DAgostino

• Warwick, RI

Tom Reid

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 09:31:23 AM »

I am considering a TC Helicon Voiceworks for live shows. I have several questions about the unit for anyone with experience with it or a similar item. I would be useing it as a lead vocal channel strip with some verb and light harmonies.
1. Reliability, do they stand up on the road?
2. What is the difference between the Voiceworks and Voiceworks Plus? Is it worth twice the price for live shows?
3. Are there other, better options/brands of this type unit?
4. How would you rate the mic preamp as compared to mixer preamps, ie, Peavy vs AH vs Behringer vs Midas?
Thanks, Sean.

I've had a voiceworks in the FX rack for about a year and 1/2 now.  Gigs at least 3 times a week and is still ticking.
Besides, TC has some pretty good support if you ever break their stuff.  At least in my experience.
The voiceworks + is the newer version of the voiceworks, probably has newer chips with better algos, and the front panel looks like it's a little easier to tweak. 
For the price, I don't think there is anything that comes close to doing what these do.
I can't comment on the mic pre.  I never turned it on.

Sean Barry

Re: Questions about TC Helicon Voiceworks
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 12:03:20 PM »

Thanks Tom. Do you run it in an aux bus or as a channel insert?

Scott Bolt

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 06:32:35 PM »

I have the original hooked up with a Harmony Control (also from TC).  I use it every week.  Not even a hiccup in around 3 years.

I have considered the new VoiceLive2; however, it would be much bigger on stage at my feet where I already have a guitar footswitch area.  I really only have room for my harmony on/off switch (3 button).

The sound is outstanding.  Perhaps the "plus" is a bit better, but I haven't heard it.

Tom Reid

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 06:45:50 AM »

Thanks Tom. Do you run it in an aux bus or as a channel insert?

It is fed from aux 6 and returns to one of my stereo channels.

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 07:06:56 PM »

It is fed from aux 6 and returns to one of my stereo channels.

Two points to consider:

The TC boxes I've worked with have introduced some latency which when I attempted to split and donate wet/dry caused some phase cancelation that made the split un usable.

While the pre in it is ok and usually but not particularly good the other crap like EQ and what not should be kept off as it's just gonna cause problems. Turn everything off but the FX you want to use. Even those may cause problems in the wedges which is why us "sound guys" don't wanna put them in the monitors if we're mixing from front of house across a room of people where we can't hear the monitors at
alll. I recommend just handing it to the FOH guy and let him patch it in to the console and checking the blend at soundcheck. 

And for God sake if you control it on stage MUTE It BETWEEN SONGS!
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 07:06:56 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.