ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet another rumor about Avid Profiles..  (Read 3078 times)

Corbin Prosche

Yet another rumor about Avid Profiles..
« on: June 20, 2011, 04:02:25 PM »

Earlier this year a customer of mine (church) wanted to upgrade their current mobile recording truck while upgrading their current recording studio to a Profile as well. We lost the bid to another vendor here in town. However, we have such a great relationship with this customer that today after they finished their training on the console, they called me to double check some things..

See if anyone has heard this one yet..

Rumor #1
You can double up on your local cage to add additional inputs and outputs at FOH.

Rumor #2
That the 64 input ProTools rig would run fine, with all the plug ins on three DSP cards.

Rumor #3
They were sold a 48 channel Profile with a 64 input Mac ProTools HD rig to accompany it.

Inside the training they were told that they could record the 64 inputs out in the field, then when they got back into the church's recording studio they could add more tracks (not overdub) to the 64. Like I told my customer I hadn't heard of this one yet, but would check around and get back with them.

So... Anyone heard of these rumors?

Sheldon??

Sheldon Radford

• Avid VENEU Home Page
Re: Yet another rumor about Avid Profiles..
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 07:38:20 PM »

Hi Corbin,

Rumor #1
You can double up on your local cage to add additional inputs and outputs at FOH.

I think what's being referred to is the IOx option card, which fits in the FOH Rack and adds additional analog and digital I/O. http://www.avid.com/US/products/IOx-Option-Card

They may also be referring to the fact that the FOH Rack supports up to two Stage racks (each rack housing 48 mic pres). It's possible to locate one Stage rack remotely, and another at FOH, if desired.

Rumor #2
That the 64 input ProTools rig would run fine, with all the plug ins on three DSP cards.

True, if I understand the comment correctly. A Pro Tools HD2 system is required to record 64 tracks, and consists of a Core card and an Accel card for the host computer. The console also uses DSP cards, but only a single DSP card is needed in order to provide the necessary connections to Pro Tools. 

Rumor #3
They were sold a 48 channel Profile with a 64 input Mac ProTools HD rig to accompany it.

Inside the training they were told that they could record the 64 inputs out in the field, then when they got back into the church's recording studio they could add more tracks (not overdub) to the 64. Like I told my customer I hadn't heard of this one yet, but would check around and get back with them.

Sure, it's possible to have more than 64 tracks within Pro Tools. The 64 number simply represents the number of simultaneous I/O between VENUE and Pro Tools (and there's a maximum of 128 simultaneous I/O available when using a larger Pro Tools system). Within Pro Tools there can be additional tracks, for example submixed stems using the Pro Tools mixer, which then feed into the 64 available I/O.

Hope that clears things up!

Sheldon Radford
Avid

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Yet another rumor about Avid Profiles..
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 07:38:20 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.