ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Wireless Handheld Systems  (Read 9336 times)

Jeffrey Lotz

Best Wireless Handheld Systems
« on: June 20, 2011, 11:31:12 AM »

We are currently looking into updating our rig.  We wanted to go with wireless mics for our vocalists to help clean up our stage a bit and make it look a little "neater".  Money is a bit of an issue, but not a huge one.  The thing that we are most concerned with is getting the most bang for our buck so to speak.  I've been looking a lot at Sennheisers, I've heard as a general rule of thumb you can not go wrong with Sennheiser when it comes to wireless.  I have read through several blogs and the like and have a better understanding of some of the different features of different receivers.  What I am having a hard time finding is some good (and by good I mean informative, not just in favor of) reviews of people that have actually tried out any of these systems.

I know that a lot of choosing mics comes down to preference as well. But I wanted to see if I could get any good input on here

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Best Wireless Handheld Systems
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 01:20:04 PM »

We are currently looking into updating our rig.  We wanted to go with wireless mics for our vocalists to help clean up our stage a bit and make it look a little "neater".  Money is a bit of an issue, but not a huge one.  The thing that we are most concerned with is getting the most bang for our buck so to speak.  I've been looking a lot at Sennheisers, I've heard as a general rule of thumb you can not go wrong with Sennheiser when it comes to wireless.  I have read through several blogs and the like and have a better understanding of some of the different features of different receivers.  What I am having a hard time finding is some good (and by good I mean informative, not just in favor of) reviews of people that have actually tried out any of these systems.

I know that a lot of choosing mics comes down to preference as well. But I wanted to see if I could get any good input on here

What model line of Sennheiser?  While the Evolution series is pretty decent (and superior, IMHO, to similarly priced competitors) the 3000 and 5000 lines are audibly better, the construction more robust, and the software support for multi-channel systems is very good.

At those levels, though, Shure and others have some nice kit.  The UHF-R works well and sounds good.

Another brand that makes very good gear is Lectrosonics.  The Venue-series receivers can put 6 channels in 1 rack space and takes care of antenna distribution internally.  The RF is rock solid and the digital hybrid audio path is clean and sweet; no companding.  There are other features that may be appealing to you, visit their web site.

What makes "bang for the buck" varies considerably for each user.  How much buck, per channel, are you budgeting?

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 01:56:44 PM »

What model line of Sennheiser?  While the Evolution series is pretty decent (and superior, IMHO, to similarly priced competitors) the 3000 and 5000 lines are audibly better, the construction more robust, and the software support for multi-channel systems is very good.

At those levels, though, Shure and others have some nice kit.  The UHF-R works well and sounds good.

Another brand that makes very good gear is Lectrosonics.  The Venue-series receivers can put 6 channels in 1 rack space and takes care of antenna distribution internally.  The RF is rock solid and the digital hybrid audio path is clean and sweet; no companding.  There are other features that may be appealing to you, visit their web site.

What makes "bang for the buck" varies considerably for each user.  How much buck, per channel, are you budgeting?

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Tim has got some really good points here, I have been using the UHF-R stuff for a while and it has always been rock solid for me, but it all comes down to budget. I have always preferred the sound of the cheaper sennheiser stuff vs. the competition, and will always recommend them if not going to the top of the line pro grade gear.

What kind of budget are you looking at?

Another thing to look at is microphone capsules for various brands. What mic are you currently using now?
There are a few different capsules available for each brand of wireless, so that might also be a big deciding factor. If you want a Neumann head, they are only available for the sennheiser stuff, If you want M80 or Audix stuff it is only available on the shure stuff.

Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 07:25:23 AM »

It's my opinion that the Sennheiser G3 systems are very good value for the $$.
Seems like the RF quality is better than the pricing would suggest.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 04:04:22 PM »

My current system is Sennheiser 2000 series. Our hand helds have either the MMK 965 and MMD 945 and 935 capsules. The MMK 965 capsules sound very very good. And the battery compartments on the 2000 and EW 500 G3 series hand helds are much, much, much easier to get open than the 3000 and 5000 series.

BTW, the MMK and MMD 900 series capsules DO fit on the 500 G3 series hand held transmitters.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 04:07:27 PM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Alwin Acuña

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 05:12:09 AM »

My current system is Sennheiser 2000 series. Our hand helds have either the MMK 965 and MMD 945 and 935 capsules. The MMK 965 capsules sound very very good. And the battery compartments on the 2000 and EW 500 G3 series hand helds are much, much, much easier to get open than the 3000 and 5000 series.

BTW, the MMK and MMD 900 series capsules DO fit on the 500 G3 series hand held transmitters.

just asking if the 965 capsule will fit G3 ew100 series transmitters.? Thanks

MikeHarris

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 11:26:55 AM »

just asking if the 965 capsule will fit G3 ew100 series transmitters.? Thanks

yes

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 12:33:33 PM »

yes

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression the the 100 and 300 series EW had the capsules hard mounted on the transmitters, i.e. they could not be removed.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Alwin Acuña

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 04:35:03 PM »

yes

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression the the 100 and 300 series EW had the capsules hard mounted on the transmitters, i.e. they could not be removed.

G3's ew100 are removable...

Justin Bartlett

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 09:46:11 PM »

yes

All G3 handhelds have swappable capsules.  We have 20 100-series G3 systems; I have swapped between e865 and e835 capsules periodically on some units.  They're interchangeable with everything up to the 2000 series; my understanding is that the big-time stuff (3000/5000 series) is different though.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 09:46:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.