ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EQing help!  (Read 11473 times)

Christopher John

EQing help!
« on: January 19, 2011, 12:41:28 PM »

Hi Guys, I need helping a team better EQ with an M7CL!  Attached is a quick pic of the drums.

Let me know where to look or send me pics of your console eq curves.  Thanks!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: EQing help!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 12:46:13 PM »

Hi Guys, I need help

Please go to your profile and change the name field to your real full name as required by the posting rules of these forums.

Mac

Michael Gazdziak

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 07:04:16 PM »

Hi Guys, I need helping a team better EQ with an M7CL!  Attached is a quick pic of the drums.

Let me know where to look or send me pics of your console eq curves.  Thanks!

I'd like to help you eq your drums, but I can't hear them through the internets. So I'll need you to identify and tell me the frequencies that don't sound right, as well as if you think there is too much or little of those frequencies, and I'll give you advice. Or we could cut out the middleman, and you could figure it out, like every other sound person on this planet, by listening and trying things out.

Make an adjustment, if it sounds better keep it, if it sounds worse get rid of it.

Also, kick should be on ch 1, not 17, snare should be on 2, you need to add hat on ch 3, and toms should be on 4. Also, you need to have 2 kick mics, 2 snare mics, and it doesn't matter if the kit has been tuned.

First post on the new forums! Yay!

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 09:48:40 PM »

Can't really tell much from the pic (can't hear it) but it appears that your are killing them by taking every bit of attack away.

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 01:05:08 AM »

I learnt a long time ago that looking at the graphic display means nothing. You mix with your ears, not your eyes

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 02:02:35 AM »

Also, kick should be on ch 1, not 17, snare should be on 2, you need to add hat on ch 3, and toms should be on 4. Also, you need to have 2 kick mics, 2 snare mics, and it doesn't matter if the kit has been tuned.

Says who? I pretty much never have the kick on channel one. In fact I rarely have ANYthing on channel one. I keep my inputs patched closer to the center of the console so I have to stretch less to reach them.

Also, I always patch so that the vocals (or violin 1 if no vocals) are on the first faders, from there I go in score order--strings, woodwinds, brass, piano, percussion and odd inputs like video, or playback at the bottom of the input list. I will also many times leave an empty spacer channel between groups of inputs.

There's nothing special about putting the kick drum on the first channel.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 02:33:32 AM »

I have to agree with Justice there when it comes to you and only you mixing, put it where you want. If it makes sense to you and no poor bastard has to come in and decipher it who cares?

Now when I send an input list that shows kick 1 on 1, kick 2 on 2, snare top on 3, snare bottom on 4, etc I expect to see that. If not the changeover is gonna take a few minutes longer while we both get up there and re-patch.

Clayton Luckie

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 08:59:34 AM »

Says who? I pretty much never have the kick on channel one. In fact I rarely have ANYthing on channel one. I keep my inputs patched closer to the center of the console so I have to stretch less to reach them.

You probably couldn't see Mike's tongue in his cheek from where you were sitting.  Besides, everyone knows that ch1 is where you put the Tesla Coil.

cl

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 10:20:26 AM »

A few things:

Make sure the drums are in good shape, fresh heads, and TUNED properly.

What mic are you using on the kick drum?

Zero out that eq first.

Work on mic placement, get that sound as good as you can get it, then go back to the eq.

As others have said, use your ears, not the display.

Experiment, and not one hour before the gig during soundcheck if at all possible.

Best regards,

John

Andre Vare

• Hamilton, ON Canada
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 11:04:12 AM »

What mic are you using on the kick drum?
No!  :o

Andre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 11:04:12 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.