ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Voltage from 95 to 104v - what to do  (Read 13191 times)

Todd Black

Re: Voltage from 95 to 104v - what to do
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 01:14:03 AM »

I wired into the main breaker

The cable, I bought it. I purchased 15 amp industrial sockets and connected them at each end.

For this job I disconnected the male socket and connected the cables 1 to the main breaker and the other 2 to the ground. Used my AC tester and everything was fine so I connected the audio system

Thanks,

the 'other 2 to the ground' was this the ground busbar or the neutral busbar? Or did the panel you were in contain the main bonding jumper and both branch circuit neutrals and grounds landed on the same bar?

Did you really connect your hot to the main breaker? Or did you install a 20 amp branch circuit breaker into the panel to supply your cable?

im still not entirely sure what you did here...

Dave Rickard

• SR Forums
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 11:23:35 AM »

Another vote for the AR1215.
The wrong piece of gear at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 12:20:20 PM »

Last night I was hired for a 300 kid party. I was hired to put subs and lights.

I arrived early installed my 2 TH-118s and powered them stereo from one CP4000S. The tops used where jbl prx525s.

Did a soundcheck at full volume and everything was ok.

When night fell and the lights started going on I began to have some noise problems due to decreases in voltage. I pulled my kill-a-watt and the current was as low as 95 volts :( and as high as 104v

I am sure I was way under 15 amps since I only had plugged in:

1 EV CP4000S in stereo (not bridge) ( I was only feeding 1200W to each sub)
2 JBL PRX525
2 Led Q-spot 260
1 AmericanDJ Galaxian laser
DJ equipment which were a Denon X500, Denon D6000, traktor Kontrol S4 and 4 laptops

Power came from the main breaker in the house from a 10 gauge cable I built which is around 40 feet in lenght

If I had something like this would it help me?:

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=P-2400AR

Thanks,

The system wasn't the only load on the electrical service.  The family could be doing laundry, meal preparation (it's a party!), running extra refrigerator, air conditioning, etc.  Also, the voltage delivered to the house could have been low to start with, because early evening is a peak air conditioning time and every home in the neighborhood is using it.  I really think this is where your problems began.

That all said, if you want to purchase an automatic voltage regulator, I strongly recommend the Tripp Lite that has been mentioned.  They show up in all manner of video & audio rigs, from local guys to national tours with Moo Video, Clair, Audio Analysts, Nocturne Video, etc.

Despite what Alan S will suggest, you do NOT need to put your power amp on the AVR.  Everything else, though, probably should be.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 08:28:39 AM »

I wired into the main breaker

The cable, I bought it. I purchased 15 amp industrial sockets and connected them at each end.

For this job I disconnected the male socket and connected the cables 1 to the main breaker and the other 2 to the ground. Used my AC tester and everything was fine so I connected the audio system

Thanks,

the 'other 2 to the ground' was this the ground busbar or the neutral busbar? Or did the panel you were in contain the main bonding jumper and both branch circuit neutrals and grounds landed on the same bar?

Did you really connect your hot to the main breaker? Or did you install a 20 amp branch circuit breaker into the panel to supply your cable?

im still not entirely sure what you did here...

To the ground busbar  :-\ (both neutral and ground together)

I met with a pro electrician and showed him what I did and he said I was lucky my equipment survived!!

Anyway He is building the distro I need with 8 gauge cables capable of up to 150 amps

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 09:00:53 AM »

I met with a pro electrician and showed him what I did and he said I was lucky my equipment survived!!

Anyway He is building the distro I need with 8 gauge cables capable of up to 150 amps
I think you need a new electrician.

http://www.generalcable.com/NR/rdonlyres/915E0C44-F5C5-4AE4-B404-6373E6D512FB/0/Pg12_Carolprene_SOOW.pdf

8 gauge 4-wire feeder cables are only good for 40A (80A of branch circuit capability for 120V hot to neutral circuits - 40A each leg). 

At the level you are at, you really only have a couple safe choices:

1.  Hire an electrician (a real one with entertainment experience) for each gig to tie-in a safe up to code distro

2. Reduce your current requirements (turn it down, LED lights, etc.) so you can run on available wall power

3.  Convince the venues you play at to install one or more NEMA 14-50R "dryer receptacles" so you can plug in a distro with a mating plug yourself.

There is a lot of stupid stuff done in McGuyvering gigs to get power.  The bottom line is if you're not a licensed and insured electrician with proper permission to do work in your buildings, your only legal source of power is a permanent receptacle.

By the way - the issue is not if your gear survives (though that's nice too) - you need your band and everyone in attendance to survive too.

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 10:55:56 AM »

Thanks TJ, I will definitely take that into account

Actually he did suggest 6 and 4 gauge cables but I told him 8

The connector is what holds 150 amps, I am only running 4 tops and 2 TH-118 subs and led lights.

Regarding the dryer receptacles, yes they are availaible and I will get that connector plus cabling to connect to breakers directly when in a house

Thanks for your comments!!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 10:58:46 AM »

Thanks TJ, I will definitely take that into account

Actually he did suggest 6 and 4 gauge cables but I told him 8

The connector is what holds 150 amps, I am only running 4 tops and 2 TH-118 subs and led lights.

Regarding the dryer receptacles, yes they are availaible and I will get that connector plus cabling to connect to breakers directly when in a house

Thanks for your comments!!
What connector are you referring to?  The system must be derated to its weakest link - if you use 8ga wire, you get 40A (35 if you count the neutral as a current-carrying conductor).  You also need to have overcurrent protection both for the 40A input (assuming you will use this fed from a source with a greater than 40A supply connector), as well as branch circuit breakers.

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 11:11:32 AM »

What connector are you referring to? 
the one that will go into the distro box

Unfortunately I do not know much about this so I do not know the details but this person is highly regarded here

When he gives me the details of the work to be done I will post it here so that I don`t make mistakes and give unnacurate info

Thanks for your interest and help!!

Todd Black

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 08:36:43 PM »

Unfortunately I do not know much about this so I do not know the details but this person is highly regarded here

When he gives me the details of the work to be done I will post it here so that I don`t make mistakes and give unnacurate info

just because someone is an electrician doenst mean they are qualified to manufacture portable power distribution equipment. Some are (if you ignore things like UL), but its not automatic. Just as I wouldnt have someone from motion labs come wire my house, i would want to fully understand what this electrician is going to do before spending any money. Just from the few mentions of wire size and connectors, something seems very wrong.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 01:05:34 AM »

I see big blue sparks in your future.  That's not good.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 01:05:34 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 26 queries.