ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues with Wireless Lavaliere Mic  (Read 12725 times)

Kevin Wilson

• Living Word Fellowship
Issues with Wireless Lavaliere Mic
« on: January 19, 2011, 08:33:06 AM »

Hello everyone

I am having an issue with our wireless lavaliere mic distorting and causing some major problems.  Im thinking it is interference - but hoping some of you with more knowledge can give me some suggestions on how to fix it.

We are currently using a Freeway 600 series from Audio Technica.  It is having major issues of loud crackling and fading in and out.  This startles the congregation during the teaching and is a big interruption.

We also have a ATW-R3100 series from Audio Technica that we could use if it would be better.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  What other info is needed?

Thanks

Kevin Wilson
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:26:31 AM by pk4yahweh »
Kevin Wilson

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: Issues with Wireless Lavaliere Mic
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 08:53:06 AM »

Kevin,
Please read the rules and use your real full name, rather than an alias.

The moderator will be by and give you the same info and then lock the thread if there's no response.

As to your question.  What city, zip code, are you located in?
The wireless system that you have was only available in two channel ranges.
Band A, 470MHz - 480MHz
Band B 482MHz - 492MHz
Which range do you have?

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Kevin Wilson

• Living Word Fellowship
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 11:28:46 AM »

Sorry Lee - I thought my signature at the end covered the full name requirement.  Fixed it.

My location is in Voluntown - 06351.

My freq range is Band A.

Thanks

Kevin Wilson
Kevin Wilson

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 12:42:25 PM »

Sorry Lee - I thought my signature at the end covered the full name requirement.  Fixed it.

Or not. Please go to your profile and put your real full name in the "name" field.

Mac

Kevin Wilson

• Living Word Fellowship
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 05:31:54 PM »

OK...  I misunderstood... sorry.

Kevin Wilson

Arnold B. Krueger

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 08:32:52 AM »

[quote author=Kevin Wilson link=topic=319.msg1278#msg1278 date=1295443986

I am having an issue with our wireless lavaliere mic distorting and causing some major problems.  Im thinking it is interference - but hoping some of you with more knowledge can give me some suggestions on how to fix it.

We are currently using a Freeway 600 series from Audio Technica.  It is having major issues of loud crackling and fading in and out.  This startles the congregation during the teaching and is a big interruption.

We also have a ATW-R3100 series from Audio Technica that we could use if it would be better.
[/quote]

I've had problems like these, and solved them by simply moving the equipment to a different channel in the same band.

My original channel choice was informed by one of the wireless vendor web sites, but even though they thought that it was free, it was obviously not free.  In my situation, one tip-off was that the receiver indicated the presence of a low-level signal when the trnasmitter was turned off.

BTW, the problematical receiver was an A-T ATW 3100, and it has become one of my favorites since I resolved the channel assignment problem. We now have 2 of them with two transmitters each - one is the body pack and the other is the little transmitter that screws onto the base of any mic with an XLR connector. We've used the mic-attached transmitter with both dynamic mics and mics that are speced to work with 12v phantom power, of which there are quite a few.

Jeff_Lowes

• OTR Mastering
    • OTR Mastering @ Shoutlife.com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 12:46:32 PM »

Sounds like an RF issue to me. You either have a weak signal or there is another system nearby
operating at a freq very close to yours.

Do these:
- Make sure you have fresh batteries in the beltpak
- Turn on the receiver only and look to see if there is any activity on the signal meter. If so, you have interference on the channel you've selected. If this is the case, try another channel
- Turn the beltpak on and look at the signal strength meter on the receiver to see how strong your signal is being picked up.
- Make sure you are using both antennas fully extended
- Try moving the receiver to another location. It would probably work better to place it on stage somewhere and send the signal to your mixer thru the in-house wiring or a snake.
- Make sure you're not operating any other RF devices on or near the same freq as the w/l mic

Hope these help.
JL
JL
OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
shoutlife.com/OTRMastering

John Fiorello

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 04:06:11 PM »

We are currently using a Freeway 600 series from Audio Technica.  It is having major issues of loud crackling and fading in and out.

What is the distance from the mic being used to the receiver?

JF
Stop.  Think.  Speak.

Kevin Wilson

• Living Word Fellowship
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 09:16:03 AM »

We have the receiver in the sound booth - right next to all the rest of the equipment (as well as another wireless handheld mic which has no issues).  The stage is approx. 125 ft. away (a guess).

Im going to try and relocate the receiver to the stage...  and also check signal strength.  I have tried several freq and they all cause the same issues - so my guess is it isn't that.
Kevin Wilson

John Fiorello

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 10:55:16 AM »

Im going to try and relocate the receiver to the stage...

9 times out of 10, that fixes it :)  Really, the receivers should be as close as possible to the transmitter, but convenience sometimes trumps that, which is why some of the remote networking of receivers is cool.  For instance, the Senny G3 300 series.  The receivers could sit just off stage, but you could be viewing the status' of all the units on a laptop in the sound booth (once they're networked, and you have the software).

Hope it fixes it :)

JF
Stop.  Think.  Speak.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 10:55:16 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.