ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sennheiser e835 vs SM58  (Read 47357 times)

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
Sennheiser e835 vs SM58
« on: June 17, 2011, 08:45:38 AM »

Been looking at the Sennheiser e835 as a replacement for the SM58/57 mics.  I read some opinions/comments on this topic in this forum as well as other forums.  Users of the e835 say the mic has great gain-before-feedback and a smoother high end.  All around, a better mic than the 58 (relatively speaking I’m sure).

However, other users report that feedback is a problem with the e835; requiring more EQ’ing and gain management to control it.
All things being relative, is the e835 more susceptible to feedback? 

Thoughts/opinions/experiences…?

David Jameson

• SR Forums
Re: Sennheiser e835 vs SM58
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 09:46:58 AM »

I'm just a small fish in the sea but....

In my experiences,a properly set up rig takes most of the feedback issues out of the picture before you even start. With that said, we use the 835 and the 935 as well as the 58 with no feedback problems and with great results.  Although each different type voice may bring some minor EQing, in general I will run them flat.  The 935, my personal favorite, sits well in the mix without any EQ.  My partner favors the 835 with excellent results also.  I'm not a big fan of the sound of the 58 although at times I have to use it.  With these three models, the 58 would be my last choice.

Good luck.
Jameson Productions
Anderson, SC 29625
jameson_prod at bellsouth.net

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 10:05:17 AM »

Been looking at the Sennheiser e835 as a replacement for the SM58/57 mics.  I read some opinions/comments on this topic in this forum as well as other forums.  Users of the e835 say the mic has great gain-before-feedback and a smoother high end.  All around, a better mic than the 58 (relatively speaking I’m sure).

However, other users report that feedback is a problem with the e835; requiring more EQ’ing and gain management to control it.

The E835 does not require any more EQ than a 58.  If you are used to ringing out your monitors for a 58 and then you try to do the 835 you will need to work at it only because the offending frequencies may be completely different.  So with regards to feedback, they are a non-issue.  If you or your buddy are happy with them then I say keep using them.

My personal opinion is that I hate the sound of the low frequencies of the e835 on most voices.  It works great on some voices, but not all.  In addition to that, anyone in the world will use a 58 because they know what they are getting.  Not so with the e835.  I own a crap load of 58s, I own one e835. 

Ten years from now I am SHURE that I will still own that same crap load of 58s plus more and they will still be making me money everyday.  I might still own the e835 and I might have made a return on my investment in it by then.  I have never once seen e835 on a tech rider to this date.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 10:09:55 AM »

Not sure I would say smoother high end.  Different sounding high end for sure
They are different sounding mics.

The 835 doesn't like some people.  Others it loves. 
The 58 is sort of an equal opportunity offender.  It sounds okay on most people with EQ, but rarely would I call it great. 

Tim Padrick summed up how I feel about vocal mics "all mics suck, they just suck differently".     

Gan before feedback is very manageable on both mics.

David Parker

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 11:21:16 AM »

I semi retired my SM58's because the grilles stayed bent up, and bought 6 E835's. I haven't A-B'd them side by side, but I enjoy mixing bands using the 835's. They are a very similar mic to the SM58. I keep a couple of SM58's in my mic case, but my first pick (out of what I have) is the e835 for general vocal use.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 11:32:52 AM »

Robert,

Like most of the others stated, I find a 835 to be a fairly lateral move, that comes down to personal taste with a particular singer. I do like the 835 for spoken word with untrained speakers.

For vocals, in the same price range, I am a fan of the EV PL80A. It has a nice tight hyper pattern and very smooth sound. It is not overly hyped in either the highs or the proximity effect. If a band gives me some leeway in choice (no rider issues) and I want a dynamic mic, it is usually what I would put up first.
Jay Barracato

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 11:41:17 AM »

ok - sounds good.  Figured the feedback issues would be with any mic; different mic, different feedback freq.

The 58's never really "sounded" right on some people, especially women singers (or men that sing in an upper register).  The 58's always needed some type of EQing.  And for some singers, the proximety effect was really bad.  For the upper register singers, I used to use the EV N/D (older model) series, but they had very noticiable issues with off-axis pick up.  Anyway, looking for something better.

I would like to have another mic available for shows - looks like maybe the e835 will work.  However, other options (EV, AKG, etc...) are still being considered.

Actually, it would be nice if the bands carried all their own mics!

Thanks for the responses!

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 12:47:07 PM »

I A/B'd the 835 against the 58 years ago when I was buying a bunch of vocal mics and they were selling the 835s on special. I chose the 835s because they have a more crisp top end. The 58 sounds darker to my ears. They aren't noticeably more prone to feedback than a 58, probably about the same. If I had to compare, I would say the 835 sounds ore like a beta58 than an sm58.  I've had those mics for about 12 years now and they are still holding up just fine. Like a previous poster said, the 58s get dented and look pretty bad when they get the rough treatment, the 835s not so much. I don't think you can go wrong with either, better yet, maybe get a few of each.

David Parker

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 01:30:14 PM »

ok - sounds good.  Figured the feedback issues would be with any mic; different mic, different feedback freq.

The 58's never really "sounded" right on some people, especially women singers (or men that sing in an upper register).  The 58's always needed some type of EQing.  And for some singers, the proximety effect was really bad.  For the upper register singers, I used to use the EV N/D (older model) series, but they had very noticiable issues with off-axis pick up.  Anyway, looking for something better.

I would like to have another mic available for shows - looks like maybe the e835 will work.  However, other options (EV, AKG, etc...) are still being considered.

Actually, it would be nice if the bands carried all their own mics!

Thanks for the responses!

I've used an E835 for events where various people made announcements, many not on the mic very well, and the E835 does a good job with off axis response.

Robin Whyte

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 07:38:56 PM »

I sold my 58.  I have two 835s(s).  Very smooth and open tenor section.  With my voice, there was a noticeable difference on the e835 on songs like "Get Back" or the middle part of "Squeeze Box".  There was like no translation - it really sounded like a voice coming out of the speaker.

I also practice with it into a Yamaha 512 and through an EV ZX-1 (sweet 8" EV piece - great for vocals) -- all in an octagon music room with a cathedral ceiling.  Very live room, noticeable echo just during conversation, and I can bring the gain way up with lots of compression and still no feedback.

I'm very happy with them.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 07:38:56 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.