ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two Mains and Two subs with one amp?  (Read 3583 times)

lukeschoeny

Two Mains and Two subs with one amp?
« on: June 16, 2011, 06:25:18 PM »

Hi Guys. I am a young aspiring audio engineer, And I am currently piecing together a PA for my band (im the drummer).  I currebtly have two 15" mains that are 250 watts rms, 500 program. Also a Samson SA3200 amp for them (750 wpc @ 8ohms and 1100wpc @ 4ohms).
Now I have a homemade 15" subwoofer (4ohm, and probably about 300watts, no internal crossiver) and I would like to build another one.

Obviously the amp has adequate power for the mains and I want to know if I could run the two subs of the same samson amp.  I know that I could run the mains in parallel of one channel and the subs the other, using a rackmount crossover between the mixer and amp. But idealy I would want to run the system in stereo.. Any idea how I could do that with just the one amp? passive crossover between the amp and speakers/subs?

Thanks!

David Parker

Re: Two Mains and Two subs with one amp?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:06:09 PM »

Hi Guys. I am a young aspiring audio engineer, And I am currently piecing together a PA for my band (im the drummer).  I currebtly have two 15" mains that are 250 watts rms, 500 program. Also a Samson SA3200 amp for them (750 wpc @ 8ohms and 1100wpc @ 4ohms).
Now I have a homemade 15" subwoofer (4ohm, and probably about 300watts, no internal crossiver) and I would like to build another one.

Obviously the amp has adequate power for the mains and I want to know if I could run the two subs of the same samson amp.  I know that I could run the mains in parallel of one channel and the subs the other, using a rackmount crossover between the mixer and amp. But idealy I would want to run the system in stereo.. Any idea how I could do that with just the one amp? passive crossover between the amp and speakers/subs?

Thanks!

1. I wouldn't worry about stereo
2. amps are cheap
3. passive crossovers in subs don't work that great. I'd much rather have a mono system bi-amped than a stereo system with passive crossovers in the subs.

Luke Landis

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:39:28 PM »

I do it all the time with my smaller rig. 2 12s up top and 2 18s for lows. One Itech 6000. 4 ohm load per side. Works great.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:39:28 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.