ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: With limiter enabled speakers can still blowup  (Read 5971 times)

Johnny Diaz

With limiter enabled speakers can still blowup
« on: June 12, 2011, 01:02:35 PM »

Why is it the speakers can still blow up even if limiter are enabled on the processor? I always hear still have to monitor the levels even if you have the limiters enabled. 

Alan Sledzieski

Re: With limiter enabled speakers can still blowup
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 01:18:12 PM »

Why is it the speakers can still blow up even if limiter are enabled on the processor? I always hear still have to monitor the levels even if you have the limiters enabled.

Because you can just keep driving them harder and harder and not clip the amps.  You think your safe because the limiter is hitting, but your actually putting more average power to them because you don't see the amp clipping, so you turn things up.

I set my limiter so the amp never clips any more, but when I see the limiter lite I don't keep turning things up.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 01:50:17 PM »

If you had a limiter that perfectly modeled how loudspeakers can overload (long term thermal, short term peak excursion, etc), it would indeed be difficult to damage speakers, but only some very sophisticated DSP based limiters come close.

In general a short term peak limiter does not prevent long term heating, or vice versa, so you need to manage a combination of multiple parameters.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

David Parker

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 02:08:54 PM »

Years ago I had a behringer unit, processor of some sort, can't remember what it was, but it had a limiter, and also, if you stayed above the limiter for, I think it was 10 seconds, it dropped the output 10db to get your attention. Interesting feature.

Johnny Diaz

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 02:48:58 PM »

Case Study

Signal Chain below

Rane DJ Mixer--> DBX 260--> QSC Amp ---> Speaker.

Now I have the limiter enabled on the dbx.  I keep driving the DJ Mixer to clip and now the limiter is limiting.  What would happen if I don't bring down the gains on the mixer and it still clipping and the limit is limiting? 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 03:20:37 PM »

Case Study

Signal Chain below

Now I have the limiter enabled on the dbx.  I keep driving the DJ Mixer to clip and now the limiter is limiting.  What would happen if I don't bring down the gains on the mixer and it still clipping and the limit is limiting?

You'll blow your shit up.  You simply don't have Enough Rig for the Gig if you MUST push it this hard to get the levels you or your client desires.  That said, I find that most DJs have zero clue about how loud is appropriate and will run any and every device into clip.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 04:05:36 PM »

Case Study

Signal Chain below

You'll blow your shit up.  You simply don't have Enough Rig for the Gig if you MUST push it this hard to get the levels you or your client desires.  That said, I find that most DJs have zero clue about how loud is appropriate and will run any and every device into clip.

I went to a club run by DJs once. What a clip joint.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 06:45:07 PM »

I went to a club run by DJs once. What a clip joint.
[/quote]i see from your foto that your hair got clipped !!! curly !!!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 06:47:03 PM by Jeff Harrell »

Russel Murton

• RPM Audio
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 10:35:40 PM »

RMS and peak limiting can help and setting your gain staging properly will also help.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 11:17:32 AM »

RMS and peak limiting can help and setting your gain staging properly will also help.
And using the gray matter analyzer will do wonders.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 11:17:32 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.