Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

RIP Don Kirshner

(1/2) > >>

Craig Leerman:
Many of you younger folks don't have a clue who Don Kirshner was, but to those of us who lived in the 70s remember him for the best music television show ever.  Before MTV and music videos, there was Don Kirshner's "Rock Concert". The show featured  everybody you can think of, from folksy acts, motown and soul, pop, rock, disco, and even punk bands. Even comedians like George Carlin were on it.

While most music variety shows  of the period featured just one musical guest per show, Rock Concert was wall to wall music (with an occasional comedian's set thrown in). And the best part, IT WAS ALL PERFORMED LIVE!  No lip syncing band like on Soul Train, but live performances.

Don was also a successful music publisher, and was influential in many artists and songwriters careers. 

Ned Ward:
Oh I remember him. For a time he lived in our town in NJ, and had this pretty amazing house - late 70's and he had underwater speakers, a phone in every room. Came to blows with the town when he wanted to put up a broadcasting tower, which was quashed.

I remember staying up to watch bands on that show - Kansas, Cheap Trick, Kiss,  to name a few. We also used to laugh at Paul Schaffer's impression of him on SNL.

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: Craig Leerman on January 18, 2011, 10:43:48 PM ---Many of you younger folks don't have a clue who Don Kirshner was, but to those of us who lived in the 70s remember him for the best music television show ever.  Before MTV and music videos, there was Don Kirshner's "Rock Concert". The show featured  everybody you can think of, from folksy acts, mowtown and soul, pop, rock, disco, and even punk bands. Even comedians like George Carlin were on it.

While most music variety shows  of the period featured just one musical guest per show, Rock Concert was wall to wall music (with an occasional comedian's set thrown in). And the best part, IT WAS ALL PERFORMED LIVE!  No lip syncing band like on Soul Train, but live performances.

Don was also a successful music publisher, and was influential in many artists and songwriters careers.

--- End quote ---
You are right on.  I remember watching Rock Concert through the fuzz on my TV set.  I lived in the mountains at the time so reception was poor at best.

That show is part of the reason I got into this business.

Pat Latimer:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on January 19, 2011, 07:57:15 AM ---You are right on.  I remember watching Rock Concert through the fuzz on my TV set.  I lived in the mountains at the time so reception was poor at best.

That show is part of the reason I got into this business.

--- End quote ---

His show was on the same line as Burt Sugarman's Midnight Special if I remember correctly. Both were excellent shows! I've seen some of the re-issue DVD's and you can't beat "live"!

RIP Don.

Pat

Ken Barlow:

--- Quote from: Craig Leerman on January 18, 2011, 10:43:48 PM ---Many of you younger folks don't have a clue who Don Kirshner was, but to those of us who lived in the 70s remember him for the best music television show ever.  Before MTV and music videos, there was Don Kirshner's "Rock Concert". The show featured  everybody you can think of, from folksy acts, mowtown and soul, pop, rock, disco, and even punk bands. Even comedians like George Carlin were on it.

--- End quote ---

I remember being introduced to many bands from his show. I remember being floored when Black Sabbath performed. Made me pick up a guitar and was I was hooked immediately. Sad day indeed. R.I.P DK.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version