ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for digidesign friendly monitor guys  (Read 12172 times)

Sherv Emmanuel

Question for digidesign friendly monitor guys
« on: June 10, 2011, 02:16:20 PM »

On a profile, How do you achieve separate level control  over your IEM cue and monitor cue wedge?

To my knowledge there is only one monitor bus out. If you double patch it, yes you will have two sources but still one control.

What is your solution? 

Jay Rigby

Re: Question for digidesign friendly monitor guys
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 06:06:02 PM »

Ok, its not an easy solution but it works perfectly (on any digital desk with only one solo bus for that matter).

Step 1: Soft patch your monitor bus outputs to the digital 2 track out
Step 2: Use a short XLR to jump the AES 2 track out back into the AES 2 track input
Step 3: Soft patch the AES 2 track input to 3 input channels, for example digital 2 track left to 46, digital 2 track right to 47, digital 2 track left to 48.
Step 4: Assign 46 and 47 to the LEFT/RIGHT master bus and pan accordingly, assign 48 to the mono bus.  Raise all faders to unity level to send to left, right and mono
Step 5: Patch your IEM Que to the LEFT/RIGHT master bus output and your cue wedge to the MONO output.
Step 6: Make 2 mute groups, one mutes CH 46 and 47 (IEM), the other mutes CH 48 (CUE WEDGE).

Every time you solo something it will be sent out the digital 2 track back in to the digital 2 track which will come up on ch 46, 47 and 48.  Use your 2 mute groups to switch between IEM's and CUE wedge. 

Make sure to leave the CUE ON MAIN FADER option up so you don't accidentally solo your solo bus.

Hopefully this makes sense.  I've done this on multiple tours on a profile and have seen others do the same.  Any questions let me know!

Sherv Emmanuel

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 12:21:19 PM »

Aaaahhh. Makes sense. I will try this next time I get on a profile.

My other question then is, and this may be a dumb question, but, in theory can you use the headphone out as a cue source using a TRS to double XLR into your IEM cue? Is the level coming out of the headphone out not the same as your monitor out? Or is that just considered the "ghetto" way to go about it.

Kent Elliott

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 11:28:14 AM »

The headphone out should work fine.  We had to do this on the early version of the SC48 when the software didn't include a soft-patch cue route.  Generally speaking, headphone outputs have plenty of drive for power amps-- although the SC48 headphone drive seems wimpy for phones, I don't recall having problems driving a power amp.  You'll have to experiment a little to find the 'unity gain' equivalent if you want a true level match to the ouputs.
Kent Elliott
Kent Elliott

Sherv Emmanuel

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 01:26:33 PM »

Awesome. Thank you guys. I like this forum already :-)

Yes I figured I'd have to find unity for true level if I did go that rout but once that's done there ya go.

Sherv Emmanuel

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 11:57:01 PM »

Thank you @ Jay Rigby. I've been using this over the past few days. I was able to create a "toggle mute function switch" between my ears and wedge. Works like a charm.

Michael Jone

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 10:52:52 AM »

when you say leave cue on main fader option "up" do you mean on or off?

Sherv Emmanuel

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 11:08:53 AM »

On

Brad Ferguson

• Brad Ferguson
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 12:25:53 PM »

I've tried this method too, but had a considerable amount of noise on the output side - has anyone ever experienced that?
Brad Ferguson
Tour Manager, Sound Engineer
http://www.bradferguson.ca

Jay Rigby

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 12:46:22 PM »

I've tried this method too, but had a considerable amount of noise on the output side - has anyone ever experienced that?

Never had any noise.... not sure what you may be experiencing. Make sure your "AES" jump is shorter than 25' if your not using an actual AES cable (any XLR shorter than 25' will still carry AES digital signal)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 12:46:22 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.