ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ADA8000 Clipping  (Read 11664 times)

David Parker

ADA8000 Clipping
« on: June 10, 2011, 12:13:32 PM »

I use an ADA8000 as an expander to my LS9. Since it's 8 channels and I usually dedicate 8 channels to drums, it makes perfect sense (to me) that I put the drums all on the second layer, which puts them on the ADA8000. 99% of the time this has worked well for me for several years. I have one band I work whose drummer has a light touch. I set the toms where they are as loud as anything else, so that when he plays them, they stand out nicely. Problem is, on two songs, he wails on the floor tom. I never know when they are coming, and it clips like crazy. It never lasts long enough for me to isolate exactly what is clipping, and I wonder if it's the ADA8000 or the mixer. If the ADA8000 has a problem with headroom, all the limiting in the world wont fix the problem. I've talked to the drummer about it, but the leader of the band is adamant that he wail on the floor tom on the songs in question. I know there are a lot of ADA8000 users out there, and wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. I also might use an inline pad on the floor tom channel if that is what is needed. Or I could switch just the floor tom for this band to one of the first layer channels, I know the LS9 preamps can handle the level.

cory waters

Re: ADA8000 Clipping
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 03:16:59 PM »

You can't get him to pound the tom repeatedly in sound check?

I'm not a fan of the input stage on our ADA8000 but I've not messed with any others so I can't say if ours is just a bad sample or what.  I mainly bought it to get signal out of our 01V.
CW

David Parker

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 03:22:09 PM »

You can't get him to pound the tom repeatedly in sound check?

I'm not a fan of the input stage on our ADA8000 but I've not messed with any others so I can't say if ours is just a bad sample or what.  I mainly bought it to get signal out of our 01V.
CW

I really hate to pound toms too long in a club that already has a few patrons present. I WILL remember to get him to wail on the floor tom next show before I call it good.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 03:34:14 PM »

I really hate to pound toms too long in a club that already has a few patrons present. I WILL remember to get him to wail on the floor tom next show before I call it good.

Or you could intentionally set the gain low enough for safety, then make up whatever you need on that channel when you set your compressor/limiter.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 07:41:13 PM »

The mic pres on the AD8000 (like all Behringer) clips really easily. I've got 2 of them and I typically use them as line inputs whenever possible. I'd either use a cuple of external mic pres (major PITA) or bump up to the other channels.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 08:13:08 PM »

I use an ADA 8000 and I have drums on it oo.  I build a couple 20dB pads that I use to get a better gain range.  I find that with most drummers you can turn the trim down all the way on them and they will still peak out.  See another recent thread for a small picture I posted of the circuit to build the pads.  It's just three resistors.

Don Spaulding

• Symphonic Sound
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 03:16:06 PM »

a couple 20dB pads that I use to get a better gain range. 
Pads are always handy to have on a gig! Less expensive preamps have a limited dynamic range (in this case converters as well), in addition to not sounding great. The quick fix is a pad. But maybe upgrade to a better sounding unit like a mackie 800r (it has pads built in). What mics are you using? Some mics can't handle high SPL's either.

David Parker

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 05:11:07 PM »

a couple 20dB pads that I use to get a better gain range. 
Pads are always handy to have on a gig! Less expensive preamps have a limited dynamic range (in this case converters as well), in addition to not sounding great. The quick fix is a pad. But maybe upgrade to a better sounding unit like a mackie 800r (it has pads built in). What mics are you using? Some mics can't handle high SPL's either.

mics are sennheiser E604, not likely the problem! It sounds like a digital clip, not just distortion.

David Parker

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 02:27:04 PM »

I use an ADA 8000 and I have drums on it oo.  I build a couple 20dB pads that I use to get a better gain range.  I find that with most drummers you can turn the trim down all the way on them and they will still peak out.  See another recent thread for a small picture I posted of the circuit to build the pads.  It's just three resistors.

will the pads pass phantom power?

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »

will the pads pass phantom power?

yes

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.