ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FOH Speaker chioce for mobile rig  (Read 4215 times)

Brian Snyder

FOH Speaker chioce for mobile rig
« on: June 08, 2011, 04:58:40 PM »

I am a weekend warrior type.  I do sound for local bands.  Small indoor & outdoor venues.  I used to have passive speakers with subs, but the whole rig was just too large and cumbersome so I sold most of it off.

I would like to purchase a new, smaller rig based on powered speakers.  I went today and listened to the QSC KW153, and the JBL PRX635 and PRX625.  I felt like the 625 won that comparison -- in part because they are lighter than the QSCs, but I thought the sound was quite impressive.

The question is, for a smaller rig, are the larger speakers like that the way to go?  Or should I get powered tops (12 or 15", 2 way) and subs? 

Thanks.

Randall Hyde

Re: FOH Speaker chioce for mobile rig
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 08:10:08 PM »

I am a weekend warrior type.  I do sound for local bands.  Small indoor & outdoor venues.  I used to have passive speakers with subs, but the whole rig was just too large and cumbersome so I sold most of it off.

I would like to purchase a new, smaller rig based on powered speakers.  I went today and listened to the QSC KW153, and the JBL PRX635 and PRX625.  I felt like the 625 won that comparison -- in part because they are lighter than the QSCs, but I thought the sound was quite impressive.

The question is, for a smaller rig, are the larger speakers like that the way to go?  Or should I get powered tops (12 or 15", 2 way) and subs?  I would not consider operating the PRX625 cabs without subs if you're doing anything loud.

Thanks.

Considerations:
Storage space
Transportation space
Audience size
Competition with backline
How many monitor channels do you need?

if you're doing the setup and strike yourself, a PRX615 might be a whole lot nice than a PRX625. OTOH, if you have room for a decent hand truck in your trailer/truck pack, this is less of an issue.

Sad thing is the subs. For a one man show you're talking PRX 618s and they're a bit weak by themselves (or even in pairs) unless those local bands are relatively quiet.  Two minimum for rock shows; four is a whole lot better; even in a small club.

The higher you can put your tops, the better. Just don't neuter your subs and place a pair of them on each side of the stage (always stack them together). A PRX615 on a stand will do a better job than a PRX 625 on the floor; if you can put the PRX 625 on something that will get it 3-4' off the ground, that will help get the sound over everyone's heads.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »

Do the full-range boxes give you what you need? Do you need subs? Buy what suits your application.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Brian Snyder

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 02:11:24 PM »

No matter what I do, I'm in a compromise situation.  I have a mid-size SUV, so the real limiting factor is that everything has to fit in the SUV.  Multiple subs is not an option.  Ideally, I'd love to have 4 subs, but I'd need a trailer to tow it around.

I am all set on everything except FOH speakers.  I have powered monitor wedges, mixers, cables, mics, IEMs, you name it. 

Space is my ultimate limiting factor.  Given that, I'm trying to figure out what will give me the best performance given my constraints.  The JBL PRX625 sounded pretty impressive to me, and they will fit.  While I was there, I also saw an EV speaker/sub combination.  I think it was a 12 or 15" top (can't remember which) and an 18" sub, that didn't look particularly huge. 

What I want to know is, if I can make them fit (that's a big if) would something like the EV combination (small top/sub) be the better way to go? 

I'm really looking at fairly small gigs here.  I already have QSC K12s and K10s that I use for monitors or very small acoustic only gigs.  The problem is when we go full band, I find that K12's by themselves aren't enough to overcome the stage volume.

For larger shows, I have the ability to borrow subs and additional equipment.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 05:19:37 PM »

I would suggest the JBL PRX612M on a pole over SRX618S-XLF.  As Randall said, you really need to get those speakers up high to be heard by everyone in the room.  Note that I said XLF, not the regular 618S - big difference!  If you really can't fit the subs, go for the PRX 625, but you will have to figure out some way to get them up high.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 05:19:37 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.