ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crown I-Tech 6000 and JBL subs  (Read 12723 times)

billy peterson

Crown I-Tech 6000 and JBL subs
« on: June 08, 2011, 06:04:31 am »

Hi ya guys, my friend is selling his Crown I-Tech 6000 and he's told me that I can have it, but it's 1,500 he wants for it, I can't afford more than about 600 so he's told me I can give him the 600 and then pay off the rest of the balance bit by bit and can use the amplifier while i'm paying it off. My question is, would the I-Tech 6000 enable me to get more spl from my pair of SRX728S subs than the Peavey CS4080HZ, that's what I was using for ages. I got this idea because the I-Tech amplifiers power output specs state minimum guaranteed power, does this mean they can output that kind of power all night? Where most other amplifiers in the range of the Peavey CS4080HZ, Crown XLS5000, QSC RMX5050 can't continuously pump out that power?

Greg Harwood

Re: Crown I-Tech 6000 and JBL subs
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 08:53:27 am »

Ask your friend if he'll let you borrow the Itech and give it a test run.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  I've used Itech 6k for a couple of years and they made my system sound awesome (and my subs slam).

The Itech will also give you added flexibility due to the processing capabilities.  I believe the Itech is head and shoulders better than the CS amp, but not sure if it will give you tons of added volume though it does have more available power.
Greg H.

Tracy Garner

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 09:29:15 am »

Ask your friend if he'll let you borrow the Itech and give it a test run.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  I've used Itech 6k for a couple of years and they made my system sound awesome (and my subs slam).

The Itech will also give you added flexibility due to the processing capabilities.  I believe the Itech is head and shoulders better than the CS amp, but not sure if it will give you tons of added volume though it does have more available power.

Some say IT 6000 is the perfect match for the JBL728. I wouldn't consider the 4080 for a sub amp anyway.

billy peterson

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 12:33:21 pm »

Do you think the RMS limiting will help to protect my subs because I play drum & bass which has very long sustained sub basslines so have always been told to use an amplifier which can output my sub's continuous power handling. I guess there should be a preset on the I-Tech 6000 for the SRX728S subs don't you think?

Greg,
I was just wondering if the amplifier would give me a tad more spl simply because it could hammer out it's rated power continuously wheras most amplifiers can output their rated power, but not continuously. By the way, i've got a question, what factors make an amplifier unable to output it's rated power continuously? Does it have anything to do with how hard the amp is pushed and how warm they get? Or is it something to do with the mains power supply that the amplifier is getting? I've heard the Crown MA5002 can give it's rated 1,7775 watts RMS per channel all night because of it's overbuilt power supply and big power caps being able to store enough power for when it's needed.

Vinny DAgostino

• Warwick, RI
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 02:49:54 pm »

Don't know if there will be much noticeable difference at all volume/performance wise, but there will be a HUGE learning curve trying to figure out the DSP in the Itech.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 03:51:51 pm »

Don't know if there will be much noticeable difference at all volume/performance wise, but there will be a HUGE learning curve trying to figure out the DSP in the Itech.

Using System Architect, the DSP inside the ITech is very easy to configure.  You *do* need to know what you want it to do first, though.

For the OP, the quick answer is that if you expect to run your ITech to the rails, you will need to feed it 208-240v.  All the ITechs are current-limited to keep the 20amp line cord, and I think you *really* need to read Crowns write up about the PSU technology they are using.  Rated output is *burst* and then backs down, if necessary, to keep the line draw to 20 amps.  For most types of music this is perfectly acceptable, but for EDM it may not work out so well.

The other consideration is if your subs will take full rated power for x-amount of time before going into -3db power compression.  If you throw more voltage at them and all they do is get hotter, you need more cone area.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

billy peterson

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 04:31:09 pm »

I thought the I-Tech output was continuous because it states in the specs that the rated power output is minimum guaranteed power, that to me says the amplifier's power output might be a little more but at least the specified power output is available continuously. If it was burst then surely the specs wouldn't say guaranteed minimum would it? I know i'd be giving the amplifier it's own dedicated 13A/230V circuit.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 06:16:05 pm »

I thought the I-Tech output was continuous because it states in the specs that the rated power output is minimum guaranteed power, that to me says the amplifier's power output might be a little more but at least the specified power output is available continuously. If it was burst then surely the specs wouldn't say guaranteed minimum would it? I know i'd be giving the amplifier it's own dedicated 13A/230V circuit.

At 230v. it is possible to get rated output.  I had no idea you were in a place where 230v. is the de facto line voltage which is why I suggest using such line voltage and to read up on the ratings.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

billy peterson

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 04:24:45 am »

At 230v. it is possible to get rated output.  I had no idea you were in a place where 230v. is the de facto line voltage which is why I suggest using such line voltage and to read up on the ratings.

Thanks Tim. I'm wondering, have you any idea how much the power drops on the I-Tech amplifiers? I mean you said the power output is burst mode, but it states minimum guaranteed power output, so lets just say it IS burst mode and the power drops after a while, considering the fact my SRX728S subs are rated at 1,600 watts continuous power handling, would it be a better idea to go for an I-Tech 8000 instead of a 6000? Or even though the power drops, will the 6000 still at least be able to provide 1,600 watts RMS per channel into 4 ohms all night?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 10:17:49 am »

Thanks Tim. I'm wondering, have you any idea how much the power drops on the I-Tech amplifiers? I mean you said the power output is burst mode, but it states minimum guaranteed power output, so lets just say it IS burst mode and the power drops after a while, considering the fact my SRX728S subs are rated at 1,600 watts continuous power handling, would it be a better idea to go for an I-Tech 8000 instead of a 6000? Or even though the power drops, will the 6000 still at least be able to provide 1,600 watts RMS per channel into 4 ohms all night?

Crown publishes power and thermal ratings on their website, that's where I got the info I've provided.  The same resources are available to you.

We have IT8000s and VerTec 4880 subs, and the 8Ks are a good match, but I *really* think you need to hire the amp(s) you are considering and use them on a gig before committing to a particular model.  For almost anything EXCEPT EDM, I'd say buy the ITech and be done with it.  EDM presents a significantly higher duty cycle than 'live' music played on conventional rock instruments and EDM stresses amps and speakers in ways that 99% of uses do not.

Asking about audible performance on a forum is like buying a suit over the telephone.  Seriously, rent an amp and try it out.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

billy peterson

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 01:20:00 pm »

I can't hire any I-Tech amps out because there isn't a hire company within 120 miles that has them available for hire, most hire companies round here use either Lab Gruppem PLM or Camco Vortex 6 amps. I think there's still a couple of places who use old Crown MA5002, Crest 9001 and Crest CA18 amps.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 01:20:00 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 25 queries.