ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: CNC Labhorn  (Read 29331 times)

Jon Geissinger

Re: CNC Labhorn
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 05:13:36 PM »

TOTALLY SMOKIN'!  Love it!  How much to make a flat-pak (all pieces cut, not other parts, unassembled)?

Thomas May

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 05:37:21 PM »

TOTALLY SMOKIN'!  Love it!  How much to make a flat-pak (all pieces cut, not other parts, unassembled)?
I guess it depends. I would have to calculate my hours of work and what material would be used. I personally used 18mm shop birch ($35 a sheet) rather than the way more expensive baltic birch (around $120) if it can even be found.

Do you want me to give you a figure on a flat pack? for how many LABs?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 07:48:45 PM »

I guess it depends. I would have to calculate my hours of work and what material would be used. I personally used 18mm shop birch ($35 a sheet) rather than the way more expensive baltic birch (around $120) if it can even be found.

Do you want me to give you a figure on a flat pack? for how many LABs?

Might want to be careful with this line of thinking. The LAB horn design is not one which you can profit from. It is donated to the DIY community, but is owned I believe by Tom Danley.

Other than that, you did a fine job here. I'm curious, how did you turn the sketchup files into something that the shopbot can use? I have access to a shopbot, but no practical knowledge of how to design for it. Are there any how-to's that you might recommend?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Thomas May

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 01:30:21 AM »

Might want to be careful with this line of thinking. The LAB horn design is not one which you can profit from. It is donated to the DIY community, but is owned I believe by Tom Danley.

Other than that, you did a fine job here. I'm curious, how did you turn the sketchup files into something that the shopbot can use? I have access to a shopbot, but no practical knowledge of how to design for it. Are there any how-to's that you might recommend?

I understand that one can not profit from the LABhorn. I was not planing on commercializing but presented with the proposition given by Jon Geissinger I briefly pondered with the idea of helping a fellow DIYer.

As for using the sketchup design on the shopbot I laid all of the panels on a 4x8 rectangle, the size of a piece of plywood and the max work size the shopbot can work on, and I shuffled them around to make it fit the best. once this was done I exported a 2D top view of the 3 4x8 sheets which I imported independently to the CAD to CAM software I have access to, V Cut Pro, where I selected the lines that were cuts and the ones that were pockets. I later saved the tool paths specifically for the shopbot. All these files are in the folder I have made public.

Any questions I would be glad to answer.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 02:17:55 PM »

Now that you described it, it seems so simple! I was playing with sketchup and just sitting there ataring at it wondering how to turn a 3d model into a tool path! LOL I never thought of doing the top-down view in 2d.

Thanks for the info. I've got some road cases and some subs that I need to start knocking out. Lucky for me, the shopbot I have access to is a 5x10 with a vacuum hold down, so I can use 5x5 sheets on it.

I'm giving some hard thought to making labsubs, even though I have no way to transport them right now. It's still tempting!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Thomas May

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 12:02:49 AM »

Now that you described it, it seems so simple! I was playing with sketchup and just sitting there ataring at it wondering how to turn a 3d model into a tool path! LOL I never thought of doing the top-down view in 2d.

Thanks for the info. I've got some road cases and some subs that I need to start knocking out. Lucky for me, the shopbot I have access to is a 5x10 with a vacuum hold down, so I can use 5x5 sheets on it.

I'm giving some hard thought to making labsubs, even though I have no way to transport them right now. It's still tempting!

good luck with your projects, if any help is needed just let me know. Currently I am sitting in front of the shopbot looking at the parts to my second labhorn get cut.

Jon Geissinger

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 10:01:16 AM »

good luck with your projects, if any help is needed just let me know. Currently I am sitting in front of the shopbot looking at the parts to my second labhorn get cut.

I'm not out of the running!  Seems back when I was going to make cabinets is when the market when in the trash can!  I'm still dreaming of making more cabinets (for myself and other people), and not as a business (not without permission from Danley).  Flat packs really isn't a business, your are providing the raw material, not a functional 'unit'; but then again, not without permission (over 6 I believe it says).
I'm going to be getting my hands on a old tape library that I intend on converting to a CNC rig, should take a half sheet of ply without a problem.
I'm on the east coast (PA).  We'll see what happens.
I want to lighten these units without loosing structural integrity.  Might do that with more bracing and fiberglass?  I don't want to color the sound with the cabinet.
Jon G
PS.  If Mr. Danley is reading this, please contact me so that I can stay out of trouble!  Do you want a royalty or what?  Thanks in advance!

Gregory Fenn

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 08:13:10 AM »

Anyway. This post was not about the speaker that went in to it but rather about the way the cabinet got build. I have several very detailed sketchup models of the LABhorn that I used to create some cnc cuts on the plywood. I am wondering if anyone is interested.
attached is a simple render of what I worked on.
Nice Work!

Senthil Seveelavanan

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 07:39:40 AM »

What version of labhorn is this? What plans were used to make the design files? v1? v2? etc

How does it sound? Did you make any frequency response measurements?

Thad Kraus

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 01:45:05 PM »

Did you have issue with making the grooves at exactly 18mm?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 01:45:05 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 24 queries.