ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: CNC Labhorn  (Read 29324 times)

Thomas May

CNC Labhorn
« on: June 07, 2011, 10:34:28 PM »

I have assembled my first Labhorn after countless hours of designing a proper cad model of this spectacular beast. I cut and routed most of the parts with a ShopBot. My design replaced the biscuit joints with a 5mm pocket on the side panels as well as the inter module, this effectively became a jig to true everything up. Also this pocket combined with tap plastics epoxy made for a sure air tight seal.

Here are some pictures of the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/thomas.may/Labhorn#

I would not mind to share my cad drawings with the community that developed this amazing beast. just ask...

TM

Lance Qu

• Engineer/Sales
Re: CNC Labhorn
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 01:47:07 AM »

I have assembled my first Labhorn after countless hours of designing a proper cad model of this spectacular beast. I cut and routed most of the parts with a ShopBot. My design replaced the biscuit joints with a 5mm pocket on the side panels as well as the inter module, this effectively became a jig to true everything up. Also this pocket combined with tap plastics epoxy made for a sure air tight seal.

I would not mind to share my cad drawings with the community that developed this amazing beast. just ask...

TM

Hey TM, I have a question, what size of the transduer will be right for this LABhorn , 15inch ??
Lance Quinn

Jesus always loves us;
Let music comfort your pain...
http://www.icespeaker.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 11:02:28 AM »

Hey TM, I have a question, what size of the transduer will be right for this LABhorn , 15inch ??

The LABHorn is designed to use only 1 model of speaker, and it's a 12".  You can't just dump any speaker into a horn, willy-nilly. 
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Thomas May

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 03:03:20 PM »

The cabinet has always been intended for a lab12 speaker, that is what I put in mine.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 03:04:06 PM »

The LABHorn is designed to use only 1 model of speaker, and it's a 12".  You can't just dump any speaker into a horn, willy-nilly.
You can "dump" most any speaker into any cabinet using an adapter plate.
The results may or may not be better than using the speaker the cabinet was designed for.
The Lab 12 was quite different in concept from the usual "horn load" speaker when it was designed, but there are now many cones with similar TS parameters that will work well in the LabSub.

Thomas May

CNC Labhorn
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 09:40:38 PM »

Anyway. This post was not about the speaker that went in to it but rather about the way the cabinet got build. I have several very detailed sketchup models of the LABhorn that I used to create some cnc cuts on the plywood. I am wondering if anyone is interested.
attached is a simple render of what I worked on.

Thomas May

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 03:49:30 PM »

I have added a link with all the files I used of this project.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1Bn7qgyH1QRNDhhNDMyYjktODNhMS00NmFmLWFjZGEtODA0NTNkZjNmZThm&hl=en_US

The files in the "ready for vcut" folder are the ones I used for the shopbot.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 05:46:44 PM by Thomas May »

Pascal.Pincosy

• SR Forums
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 09:58:34 PM »

I have added a link with all the files I used of this project.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1Bn7qgyH1QRNDhhNDMyYjktODNhMS00NmFmLWFjZGEtODA0NTNkZjNmZThm&hl=en_US

The files in the "ready for vcut" folder are the ones I used for the shopbot.
You rock Thomas! Great contribution!!!

Albert Thomas

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 05:00:50 PM »

TM

Very nice TM!  The ShopBot is cool! I wish I could justify the outlay, although the labor time saved makes the equation look a lot more favorable. Is speaker building it's primary mission? 

Thomas May

CNC Labhorn
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 06:38:52 AM »

Your welcome. I will work on making the flange parts into a 3d part so the shop bot cuts the angles perfectly. I will run them soon to give feedback. as for now I have it all the parts for 1 labhorn laid out to fit on 3 sheets of 4X8 plywood. I figure that the shop bot cuts all the parts in around 5 hours if one is a good operator and all the files are correctly setup. This does not include the bevel cuts, these are all done on a table saw. but it does create a smooth very true side for the parts that fit in the 5mm pocket the sides have.

It might not be as fast as doing it all by hand but it is very precise,  and it has extra reinforcement and sealing is built into the design. epoxy and a few clamp ensure a perfect seal.

take a look at the sketchup files. they are very clean.

ProSoundWeb Community

CNC Labhorn
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 06:38:52 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.