ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Gig size with SRX722/725 & 728s x4  (Read 6713 times)

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
Gig size with SRX722/725 & 728s x4
« on: June 07, 2011, 08:54:31 AM »

Just wondering what is the largest indoor venue (people-wise) you've done with this setup, without any delay/fill boxes and was very happy with the outcome.

The largest I've done was 900. I didn't have the opportunity to go full throttle due to very limited power. Since then I've upgraded my amps. Going from bridged PLX3002s on subs and stereo PLX3402/PL236 on mains to the Crown Macrotech i.

I only get to use my "A" rig about once a year if I'm lucky, other times I'm renting my boxes to another sound company. I ask the question because I have a request for a 1500 patron event. I've already sent questions back that would address delay/fill speakers, etc..

Right now, I'm just interested in the answer to my first question. BTW, the current amp setup is as follows;

(2) racks with exactly the same amps in both. One rack to be used for each side.

Crown Amps

#1: Xti-4000   (Monitors as required)
#2: Xti-6000   (Monitors as required)
#3: MA-5000i  (tops)
#4: MA-9000i  (subs)

This will be my first opportunity to use this setup, can't wait.  :)

Last Question: what would you charge for this system? Large band, 24-32 mixer. I plan to use the Presonus SL24.

I'm thinking I should scale up my old price a bit due to the amp changeover. I realize what may be the rate in NYC, could be very different in small town USA. I'm in the Wash, DC area.

Bob Leonard pls chime in, I know you've done a lot with your setup.

Garry
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound
Re: Gig size with SRX722/725 & 728s x4
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 09:47:04 AM »

Gary,

I'm using an EV system with similar amplification and have worked with audiences this size. I think you'll be fine with this size audience. Get your mid/high boxes up fairly high and if the room is especially wide use a center fill.

Good Luck and have fun.

Eric Christian

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 12:45:41 PM »

Just wondering what is the largest indoor venue (people-wise) you've done with this setup, without any delay/fill boxes and was very happy with the outcome.

I've done over 1000 ppl outdoors with  2/side 725's over 728's for rock n roll.  It was adequate but not astounding.  The 15's run out of gas on this particular rig before the subs do.  Its powered with Crown CTS 4200 highs, CTS 3000 mids and CTS 2000(1ch per 18"driver) on subs.

What kind of show is this for and do you know the spl requirements?  How deep and wide is the room? 

Will Rigby

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 04:17:49 PM »

Where in the DC area are you? I'm considering going rig shopping soon, and I'd love to have a chance to hear the SRX stuff.

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 04:56:01 PM »

Where in the DC area are you? I'm considering going rig shopping soon, and I'd love to have a chance to hear the SRX stuff.

I'm in Laurel, but do a lot of gigs in DC, just give me a holla. If it happens, it'll be at the convention center in August, don't have all the details yet.

www.986sound.com

Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 04:57:53 PM »

I've done over 1000 ppl outdoors with  2/side 725's over 728's for rock n roll.  It was adequate but not astounding.  The 15's run out of gas on this particular rig before the subs do.  Its powered with Crown CTS 4200 highs, CTS 3000 mids and CTS 2000(1ch per 18"driver) on subs.

What kind of show is this for and do you know the spl requirements?  How deep and wide is the room?

Don't have details yet other than venue and crowd size.
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 06:15:15 PM »

I've done over 1000 ppl outdoors with  2/side 725's over 728's for rock n roll.  It was adequate but not astounding.  The 15's run out of gas on this particular rig before the subs do.

That's a good to time to change the crossover point between the subs & tops. On those gigs where I need more gas out of the tops, I'll bump up the crossover point so the subs are handling more low mids and taking that work away from the tops. Sure, most rigs sound better with lower crossover points between subs and tops. But when you're losing headroom and increasing distortion, raising the crossover point can help get a bit more out of the rig.

Greg
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 11:46:41 PM »

I've done over 1000 ppl outdoors with  2/side 725's over 728's for rock n roll.  It was adequate but not astounding.  The 15's run out of gas on this particular rig before the subs do.

That's a good to time to change the crossover point between the subs & tops. On those gigs where I need more gas out of the tops, I'll bump up the crossover point so the subs are handling more low mids and taking that work away from the tops. Sure, most rigs sound better with lower crossover points between subs and tops. But when you're losing headroom and increasing distortion, raising the crossover point can help get a bit more out of the rig.

Greg

That's a very good point Greg. Before we dumped the the 722s we were running with the 725s I found the need to move up to almost 100hz at times. Now with all 725s and a DBX 480 I have found that I can run at 82.5hz all day long and never run out of gas. I think though that 1000 waterbags outdoors is the practical limit for the system. Indoors, maybe more depending on the room, but 700-800 = just right. One other thing. I run QSC amps, 4050s and 3602s. Most people know how I feel about the 3602s for subs, but for use with 725s they seem to be a great fit, and 4050s for the subs? Well, they never run out of steam and neither combo clips or distorts at their highest levels.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 12:01:20 AM »

The largest I've done was 900. I didn't have the opportunity to go full throttle due to very limited power. Since then I've upgraded my amps. Going from bridged PLX3002s on subs and stereo PLX3402/PL236 on mains to the Crown Macrotech i.

I only get to use my "A" rig about once a year if I'm lucky, other times I'm renting my boxes to another sound company. I ask the question because I have a request for a 1500 patron event. I've already sent questions back that would address delay/fill speakers, etc..

Right now, I'm just interested in the answer to my first question. BTW, the current amp setup is as follows;

(2) racks with exactly the same amps in both. One rack to be used for each side.

Crown Amps

#1: Xti-4000   (Monitors as required)
#2: Xti-6000   (Monitors as required)
#3: MA-5000i  (tops)
#4: MA-9000i  (subs)

This will be my first opportunity to use this setup, can't wait.  :)

Last Question: what would you charge for this system? Large band, 24-32 mixer. I plan to use the Presonus SL24.

I'm thinking I should scale up my old price a bit due to the amp changeover. I realize what may be the rate in NYC, could be very different in small town USA. I'm in the Wash, DC area.

Bob Leonard pls chime in, I know you've done a lot with your setup.

Garry

Garry,

I see here you mention in the thread title 722/725. I recognize that the 722 is one hell of a box, and own a pair used for vocals only.... until lately when I replaced them with 725s.

I/we, the band, were nevr really happy with the 722s when compared side by side with the 725s. But, I'll also state that had I not used them side by side I would have seen/heard no reason for a change. That being said I am now fully convinced that the 725 is a far better sounding and more usefull box than the 722. The transition to an 18" sub is much smoother, and low mids (kick and bass guitar) will simply kick your ass.

The drawback to the 725 is it's size. It's easy enough for one person to handle at 100lbs, and even an old guy like me can put one on top of a sub by myself. It's the size of the box that may matter. They're large, no two ways around it, but if that is not a major concern do yourself a favor and go with 725s all around.

And if you still have to buy 722s I have a pair that are like new with covers for $1000 each plus shipping sitting in my basement.  ;) 
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 12:32:23 PM »

Garry,

I see here you mention in the thread title 722/725. I recognize that the 722 is one hell of a box, and own a pair used for vocals only.... until lately when I replaced them with 725s.

I/we, the band, were nevr really happy with the 722s when compared side by side with the 725s. But, I'll also state that had I not used them side by side I would have seen/heard no reason for a change. That being said I am now fully convinced that the 725 is a far better sounding and more usefull box than the 722. The transition to an 18" sub is much smoother, and low mids (kick and bass guitar) will simply kick your ass.

The drawback to the 725 is it's size. It's easy enough for one person to handle at 100lbs, and even an old guy like me can put one on top of a sub by myself. It's the size of the box that may matter. They're large, no two ways around it, but if that is not a major concern do yourself a favor and go with 725s all around.

And if you still have to buy 722s I have a pair that are like new with covers for $1000 each plus shipping sitting in my basement.  ;)

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your input. I should have been clearer in my OP. I meant (4) 725s or (4) 722s. I have four 722s. I bought them instead of the 25s due to size/weight and to save a little money. One of my biggest problems is height of the 722. After some time with the 22s, if I had it to do all over again, I'd buy the 25s. A friend of mine with a soundco bought the 25s. We purchased our gear around the same time, with the thought of putting the systems together if either of us had a large show. We both bought 4 & 4, he pushed for the 25s, I pushed for the 22s, we ended up going our own direction. I have discovered that it is a LOT easier to get the sound I want with the 725.

With my recent amp upgrade, unfortunately I can't afford to get the 25s no time soon. Hopefully, I will eventually make it happen.

Garry
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 12:32:23 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.