ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wasted screen space  (Read 4612 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Wasted screen space
« on: December 16, 2010, 04:52:41 pm »

On my screen there is about an inch of unused border on both the left and right sides of the screen. This is making the forum screens very cramped feeling.

It is also a PITA to have to scroll down to find the "post" and "preview" buttons. Can they appear at the top of the posting window as well (or instead)?

Mac

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Wasted screen space
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 05:33:05 pm »

The wasted screen space is really bad on my iPad. The actual content, the stuff that brings people here to see the ads, is less than half of the screen width. In these days of ever smaller devices wasted space is more of an issue than ever.

It would also help if the avatar and member info was in a header, or if the message text could wrap under it. The empty area under the avatar is another big waste of valuable screen real estate.

Looking back at an individual post on the iPad, the text is actually less than 20% of the screen width. Wow!

Mac
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 05:39:01 pm by Mac Kerr »

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 06:30:16 pm »

Here are some crappy phone photos of both my iPad screen, and my laptop looking at both sites.

The first is my iPad looking at the main screen, the second is my iPad looking at an individual message, the third is my laptop looking at that same message, the fourth is my iPad looking at the current version of PSW.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bennett Prescott

• This text is personal!
    • Bennett Prescott Dot Com
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 10:09:42 pm »

Yes! Oh my god this layout is all over the place. Too much candy, no content. The ads I get, but once you're already taking up 1/4 of the screen with ads why take up another 1/4 for no reason? This whole forum layout is enormous!
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Chad Curll

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 10:23:49 am »

Yep. We're working on the skin and theme. This was sort of hacked together by me to a) show where the ads will be b) proof of concept for the header.

Our Art Director has been sick, I'm working with him on the layout. The layout should be fixed by the middle of next week. I know one hack broke the stylesheet, I'll see if that is still the issue.

Man, it looks really bad on the iPad.

Andy Peters

• "On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 07:50:22 pm »

Yep. We're working on the skin and theme. This was sort of hacked together by me to a) show where the ads will be b) proof of concept for the header.

Our Art Director has been sick, I'm working with him on the layout. The layout should be fixed by the middle of next week. I know one hack broke the stylesheet, I'll see if that is still the issue.

The default font size for the forum text should be smaller.

-a

Andy Peters

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 07:52:05 pm »

The default font size for the forum text should be smaller.

-a

What about nested quotes?

-a

Andy Peters

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 07:52:27 pm »

What about nested quotes?

-a

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 11:18:52 am »

The layout and space taken for a post seems even more of a problem if you're limited to flat view, you just can't see much on the screen at once.

And somewhat related, only being able to reply to the thread, not a post, and having to go to the top or bottom of the entire discussion to do so will be a pain.  In fact with the long and often multiple branched discussions that happen here I find being limited to flat view to be very awkward.

No spell check?

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 12:39:08 pm »

The layout and space taken for a post seems even more of a problem if you're limited to flat view, you just can't see much on the screen at once.

And somewhat related, only being able to reply to the thread, not a post, and having to go to the top or bottom of the entire discussion to do so will be a pain.  In fact with the long and often multiple branched discussions that happen here I find being limited to flat view to be very awkward.

No spell check?

You can quote from within the message you are responding to, and ideally that would be the only way to post. Being limited to flat view there is no way to follow the logical order of a thread, but at least having quotes would make it a little better. It will be important to get rid of those reply buttons at the top and bottom of the thread, or this will quickly become a quagmire.

Mac
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.