ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wasted screen space  (Read 4988 times)

David Karol

Re: Wasted screen space
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 08:12:06 pm »

You can quote from within the message you are responding to, and ideally that would be the only way to post. Being limited to flat view there is no way to follow the logical order of a thread, but at least having quotes would make it a little better. It will be important to get rid of those reply buttons at the top and bottom of the thread, or this will quickly become a quagmire.

Mac

Reply buttons at the top of the page are to the right of the "Pro Sound Web Community" header.  I need the window about the size of the screen to see everything, and it's a pain to look at this thread on the iPhone.  Can those move to below the header, instead of on the side of it?  This reply page is fine, however all of the text sizes can be decreased.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 03:50:03 am »

Space is wasted on the right side, but there's a bigger problem - pictures aren't auto-sized so the width gets way too wide PLUS the wasted space on the right for ADs.

This was a problem with Fudforum as well, so you should make sure you don't leave this unfixed on the new forums.

Here's how this thread looks on my screen:
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Phil LaDue

• Central and Metro NY
    • Philip LaDue
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 01:51:22 am »

It's not terrible with AdBlocker Plus.
But there is still wasted space.

BTW, this whole thing is so 2005.
Philip LaDue
Freelance Stagehand, A2, commercial driver, rigger, staging mechanic
M: 1-646-397-5028

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 09:31:06 am »

The default font size for the forum text should be smaller.

-a

I don't need smaller text, and sometime scale up PSW to read it easier.. a problem I don't encounter on other fora, of course since we can teak this on our end, no worries.

JR
Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 10:23:56 am »

I'm glad that the ad on the right hand side has disappeared, viewing the site on the iPad a breeze, no app needed. On a PC the forum looks simple and 'kiddie'. The extra space and additional borders between every single things make it seem like compensation for lack on content. I am a fan of no frills.

But when opening this thread, Mac's pictures forced the page outwards and changed the entire field-of-view. I would prefer that no matter what I am looking at, the forums stays the same pixel width. Web sites should only have one scroll direction, either all vertical or all horizontal.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 02:14:22 pm »

I'm glad that the ad on the right hand side has disappeared
It makes no difference, there's still a large blank space on the right of the forum.

But when opening this thread, Mac's pictures forced the page outwards and changed the entire field-of-view.
That's a flaw in SMF where it doesn't auto-size picture attachments.

I would prefer that no matter what I am looking at, the forums stays the same pixel width.
I agree, BUT that width should be set by me, not the web site. i.e. If I widen the window, the forum should widen as well. Fixed-width forums are a huge frustration. At least this forum does size itself to your browser width, they just need to get rid of that wasted space on the right of the page.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 05:34:19 pm »

It makes no difference, there's still a large blank space on the right of the forum.
I agree, BUT that width should be set by me, not the web site. i.e. If I widen the window, the forum should widen as well. Fixed-width forums are a huge frustration. At least this forum does size itself to your browser width, they just need to get rid of that wasted space on the right of the page.
Yes, this is even better than what I was thinking. My biggest complaint right now is that looking at the top of the page the search bar and "News:" is a third of a page over. Can we flush that with the right side of the messages? Somewhere above the "Unread Posts" and "MARK READ" buttons?

Picture, while Previewing my post this happened. I like that warning, however no new posts were added.

Dave Rickard

• SR Forums
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 11:22:33 am »

That "large blank space" is where a lot of the photos show up on my computer. 

Sort of like a dual screen monitor mode: text on the left monitor, photos on the right monitor. 

When there is a photo, I see a corresponding large white space on the left side.

I'm on a Mac/Safari.
The wrong piece of gear at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 11:22:33 am »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 24 queries.