ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Will one AC outlet handle powered speakers?  (Read 15974 times)

Steven Danger

Will one AC outlet handle powered speakers?
« on: June 06, 2011, 12:44:50 AM »

I'm considering moving to powered speakers but many of the small clubs we play only have one ac wall outlet to plug everything in.  So we already have a powered mixer, three guitar amps, two keyboards, three powered monitors, one power amp going into the one wall oulet already.  Now I'm going to add two powered speakers so I don't want to end up blowing a circuit and not being able to do a show.  Anyone here have a similar situation and do I need to worry?  Thanks.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
Re: Will one AC outlet handle powered speakers?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 12:57:07 AM »

I'm considering moving to powered speakers but many of the small clubs we play only have one ac wall outlet to plug everything in.  So we already have a powered mixer, three guitar amps, two keyboards, three powered monitors, one power amp going into the one wall oulet already.  Now I'm going to add two powered speakers so I don't want to end up blowing a circuit and not being able to do a show.  Anyone here have a similar situation and do I need to worry?  Thanks.

It's impossible to say without knowing how much current each item will potentially draw. Things like keyboards and guitar amps will have a relatively static draw. But power amps for bass, PA, and monitors will be speaker load and content dependent. IOW, with the powered mixer & outboard amps, the speaker load (impedance) will directly affect current draw. For most live music, 1/8th to 1/3 an amps maximum current draw rating using high duty cycle test signals is what you can expect. So an amp that will draw say 20 amps at clip with 4 ohm loads on each channel using sine wave test signals typically will have an average draw between 3 to 7 amps maximum with live music. With compressed recorded music, you'll be running on the higher side of that number. Current ratings on lower end self powered speakers are usually worst case current draw, but you'll have to check with the manufacturer to know for sure since that info isn't always in the specs.

Greg
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 05:29:31 AM »

If it were me, I wouldn't book those crappy clubs anymore. That's like asking their chef to cook full-course meals with only one stove burner. It's time they learned that they need to be properly equipped to handle a live band.
Member since 2005.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 06:47:49 AM »

I'm considering moving to powered speakers but many of the small clubs we play only have one ac wall outlet to plug everything in.
Greg already addressed it being dependent on the actual equipment and operating conditions.  The other aspect is that it is not just the number of receptacles that matters but the quantity and rating of the circuits.  A single duplex with each receptacle wired to dedicated a 20A circuit provides much greater capacity than multiple duplexes all wired to the same 15A circuit.

I would guess that a single 15A or 20A circuit would likely be rather limited on how hard you could push three guitar amps, two keyboards, a powered mixer, an amplifier, three powered monitors and adding two powered mains, but would you be losing either the powered mixer or amplifier with the use of powered speakers?

Robert Patch

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 02:48:40 PM »

You'd be surprised what you can do if you have to.  I just ran an IT-4000, IT-6000 and two guitar amps off one 15 amp circuit for an outdoor event with a blues band with no problems.  So the answer really is, it depends.

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 05:08:50 PM »

You Might consider plugging everything and testing it at your shop or home, You could be surprised at how much you can run if needed.

As a backup or splitting the load, you could run an extension cord from another location.

I always try to recommend a "Panel Change" and dedicated circuits (Sub-Panel) for the stage, if needed.

Sometimes they do it, Sometimes not. The cost to a small club might be as little as a couple of thousand dollars (A weeks rent for some venues in L.A.)

Regards,  John

Scott Bower

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 07:07:51 PM »

As said before you will have to try it but I routinely play and do sound at these kind of places and have had no problems with my powered speakers tripping breakers. I also usually plug backline into the same circuit as PA to prevent ground loops. Many times I have run front end(2 Mackie SWA1501 and 2 SA1521), 3 or 4 monitors (GSC K10) board,rack gear etc. along with guitar/ bass amps and keys. I just can't share a circuit with my lights.

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 09:38:49 PM »

Get this:

http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307410450&sr=8-1

plug everything into it and start turning up the volume, it will measure your amp draw

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 10:34:49 PM »

Get this:

http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307410450&sr=8-1

plug everything into it and start turning up the volume, it will measure your amp draw
However, that unit is rated for a maximum 15A/1875VA, which is common in residential applications while circuits in commercial buildings may be 20A.

What it really comes down to is not what current the system could draw but what it does draw.  If you pop a breaker you simply have to turn some thing(s) down.

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 10:36:12 PM »

However, that unit is rated for a maximum 15A/1875VA, which is common in residential applications while circuits in commercial buildings may be 20A.

Can you recommend me on that will measure up to 50 amps?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 10:36:12 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.