ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange Popping sound coming through multiple mixers in rooms simultaneously!  (Read 3667 times)

Gary Krauss

Hi Guys,

FILE LINK ADDED! PLEASE LISTEN IN!

In my nearly 30 years of doing conference work, I have never run into the following problem.  I can't figure it out.  House AV can't either.  Maybe you can?

Here is a link to the sound:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/910031243bad7972/

We are recording at the Hyatt Regency Reston, near DC.

We are recording a total of 9 breakouts.  The problem is with 3 of the rooms.

In these 3 rooms; A, B, C of the Grand Ballroom, we are getting an intermittent  [pop - high pitched buzz for several seconds sometimes - pop} - usually on all 3 decks at the same time.  Sometimes the high pitched buzz is not there, just the pops.

It sounds like someone is touching a direct box lead.  The buzz (when it happens) is high-pitched like a Blackberry.  But that's not it.

Unplugging the decks from power does not help.

We have even tried dead-miking with and without AC power - same problem!- I really thought I had the solution until I heard the popping with that test.

Iso ground lift on the XLR makes it sound worse.

The house AC power is wired properly.

I just did a test with a deck set right next to the mixer (all the mixers are set at the front of the room, near the podium).
The recording does not have the popping, but it is also evening now, and I am not sure if the popping is related to something happening here at the hotel during the daytime.

I will go ahead and record next to the mixers tomorrow, but I will be an unhappy camper if the popping crops up again!

If any of you has worked here and/or encountered this problem, I would love to hear if you know what may be causing it, and if there is a solution that has worked.

This group frequently does quiet processes, which makes the popping really stand out.  The pops can be edited out, but it will take a lot of time.  :(

Is there a good pop filter that works in Sound Forge?

Please let me know if you have any ideas!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 09:30:21 am by Gary Krauss »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

Hi Guys,

In my nearly 30 years of doing conference work, I have never run into the following problem.  I can't figure it out.  House AV can't either.  Maybe you can?

In these 3 rooms; A, B, C of the Grand Ballroom, we are getting an intermittent  [pop - high pitched buzz for several seconds sometimes - pop} - usually on all 3 decks at the same time.  Sometimes the high pitched buzz is not there, just the pops.

It sounds like someone is touching a direct box lead.  The buzz (when it happens) is high-pitched like a Blackberry.  But that's not it.

We have even tried dead-miking with and without AC power - same problem!- I really thought I had the solution until I heard the popping with that test.

I just did a test with a deck set right next to the mixer (all the mixers are set at the front of the room, near the podium).
The recording does not have the popping, but it is also evening now, and I am not sure if the popping is related to something happening here at the hotel during the daytime.

I will go ahead and record next to the mixers tomorrow, but I will be an unhappy camper if the popping crops up again!

If any of you has worked here and/or encountered this problem, I would love to hear if you know what may be causing it, and if there is a solution that has worked.

This group frequently does quiet processes, which makes the popping really stand out.  The pops can be edited out, but it will take a lot of time.  :(

Using wireless mics?  Going into the mixer via XLR?  I'd then check the mixers to see if phantom power is on, as it will charge up the wireless receiver's output capacitors, which will produce a pop or snap when the cap finally discharges.

The problem is ahead of the recorders.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Gary Krauss

Using wireless mics?  Going into the mixer via XLR?  I'd then check the mixers to see if phantom power is on, as it will charge up the wireless receiver's output capacitors, which will produce a pop or snap when the cap finally discharges.

Thank you Tim--I will report this to our man in the field!

Hopefully he will be able to rectify!

Gary

Gary Krauss

Thank you Tim--I will report this to our man in the field!

Hopefully he will be able to rectify!

Gary

Looks like you hit the nail on the head Tim! Someone had phantom poweron one of the wireless systems...somehow it was bleeding through to the other units nearby.

Steve Dean sends you a big THANKS from Reston VA!

Best,

Gary

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA

Hi Guys,

Qudos for the catch of the century. One answer and fixed. Nice job you hoser!
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ben Lawrence

• VT AUDIO VISUAL

Good info. Noted

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
OT: knowing everything.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 11:25:39 pm »

Of course Tim knew the answer Bob. The thing you need to understand is that us Scots invented everything in the modern world. Therefore we know everything about it ;) And most importantly, we know scotch!

Greg
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: OT: knowing everything.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 12:05:36 am »

Of course Tim knew the answer Bob. The thing you need to understand is that us Scots invented everything in the modern world. Therefore we know everything about it ;) And most importantly, we know scotch!

Greg

What we didn't invent, we took by plunder...
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: OT: knowing everything.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 12:05:36 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 24 queries.