ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Passive PA suggestions (Large Format)  (Read 5155 times)

Dylan Billmaier

Passive PA suggestions (Large Format)
« on: June 04, 2011, 01:08:16 AM »

Hey everyone,

I’ve recently come across a project big enough for me to want some outside opinions/expertise from other engineers or technicians.  I’m looking to design a new PA system in a 650 seat auditorium that will be used several times a year for large theatrical events.  Because of the width of the room, and having seating in Left, Middle, and Right configurations I believe a Left/Right with a Center cluster will be the best way to fill the room.  Ive worked a lot with powered cabinets recently, and I have become attached to most of QSC’s products in that area, but I just don’t see powered working because of the location and distance from a power source. So what do you guys think is the best passive speaker out there that can be flown? I know the SRX line from JBL is pretty hot, but I’m wondering what else you guys think would work out nicely. I’ll probably use powered subs from either Meyer or QSC that will roll away when not in use for large shows, so the cabinets don’t need to go down too low.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Passive PA suggestions (Large Format)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »

Hey everyone,

I’ve recently come across a project big enough for me to want some outside opinions/expertise from other engineers or technicians.  I’m looking to design a new PA system in a 650 seat auditorium that will be used several times a year for large theatrical events.  Because of the width of the room, and having seating in Left, Middle, and Right configurations I believe a Left/Right with a Center cluster will be the best way to fill the room.  Ive worked a lot with powered cabinets recently, and I have become attached to most of QSC’s products in that area, but I just don’t see powered working because of the location and distance from a power source. So what do you guys think is the best passive speaker out there that can be flown? I know the SRX line from JBL is pretty hot, but I’m wondering what else you guys think would work out nicely. I’ll probably use powered subs from either Meyer or QSC that will roll away when not in use for large shows, so the cabinets don’t need to go down too low.

Thanks for any suggestions!
The first suggestion is to change your name to your real name or this thread will dissappear-as per forum rules.

THe next suggestion is to provide exact dimensions (including flying height) so people could get an idea of what coverage the loudspeaker needs to have.

You say "the best" so are we to assume you have an unlimited budget (if needed)? or is there a budget number that needs to be meet?  Is this to include amplification?  what about DSP processing?

Are you skilled in rigging and have all the proper tools-so that you don't kill somebody?

Don't EVEN think about brands or models-untill you have narrowed down the specific requirements/limitations.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 10:36:39 AM »

So what do you guys think is the best passive speaker out there that can be flown?

Generally, "passive" means a multi-way speaker with a passive internal crossover that can be driven with a single amp channel. If that's what you're referring to, you'd be hard pressed to find anything better than Danley. If you're referring to multi-way amplification of a non-powered box, that's considered 'active' and there's a plethora of boxes out their to choose from. But Danley would be something to consider in any case.

Greg
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Niels Hempel

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 10:41:58 AM »

How high will the speakers be flown?  What type of coverage patterns? Whats the budget?

Here are two that I would consider...

JBL AM series:
(passive or active) sound great, pricey, several coverage pattern options.  Check out the AM7200 high/mid boxes

Community SLS:
great value, high output, standard coverage patterns.  check out the SLS920.

ooops... I didn't realize how old this thread was...  hehe
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:44:17 AM by Niels Hempel »
Niels Hempel
Tri-Tronics Professional Electronics, NC
www.tri-tronicsproelectronics.com
A/V Sales

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 12:20:42 PM »

It's an old thread but seems to have languished a bit without any responses.  Maybe some new conversation will kick-start the discussion.

I’ve recently come across a project big enough for me to want some outside opinions/expertise from other engineers or technicians.  I’m looking to design a new PA system in a 650 seat auditorium that will be used several times a year for large theatrical events.
Theatrical applications can have a number of application specific considerations, have you considered getting someone familiar with those types of venues and applications involved?

Because of the width of the room, and having seating in Left, Middle, and Right configurations I believe a Left/Right with a Center cluster will be the best way to fill the room.
Are you addressing an 'ecploded' mono system with a speaker covering each seating area or a stereo plus center mono approach or true left/center/right?  Those are three potentially quite different concepts.

As Ivan noted, it's a bit premature to start looking at specific products without knowing much more about the venue and the goals for the system.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 12:20:42 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.