Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

RIP James Arness

(1/3) > >>

John Halliburton:
Marshall Dillon heads off into the sunset...

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/scimedemail/la-me-james-arness-20110604,0,1034881.story

One of the longest running television series in history.

John

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: John Halliburton on June 03, 2011, 01:52:23 PM ---Marshall Dillon heads off into the sunset...

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/scimedemail/la-me-james-arness-20110604,0,1034881.story

One of the longest running television series in history.

John

--- End quote ---

And the monster in the original "The Thing". An actor with a really long career, who will always be remembered as Marshall Dillon.

Mac

John Roberts {JR}:
I always found it mildly disturbing that every week in the show's intro, he was second to fire, but always won the quick draw shoot out against the bad guy... maybe one time, but every week?

RIP...

JR

Tom Young:

--- Quote from: John Roberts {JR} on June 03, 2011, 05:23:34 PM ---I always found it mildly disturbing that every week in the show's intro, he was second to fire, but always won the quick draw shoot out against the bad guy... maybe one time, but every week?

RIP...

JR
--- End quote ---

Yeah. I really hate that about series. Why do the principal/lead characters always have to live ?

:-\ ;)

Chris Davis:

--- Quote --- To give Arness and "Gunsmoke" a publicity boost when it debuted, (John) Wayne provided an on-camera introduction in which he praised the new TV western series for being honest, adult and realistic.

"I knew there was only one man to play in it, James Arness," Wayne told viewers. "He's a young fella and may be new to some of you. But I've worked with him, and I predict he'll be a big star. So you might as well get used to him, like you've had to get used to me."

--- End quote ---
A classic moment for sure! 

I remember reading about Arness's thoughts later on in life about Gunsmoke.   He appreciated it in retrospect for being a study in realism and character development, delivered in the form of a TV show.  A thinking man's actor who had no regrets.

RIP

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version