ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Still looking for a big boy console. Road Hog, IPC, Ma light or Avo???  (Read 9907 times)

Scott Flaws

Subject says it all. I cant afford a full MA which is what i want but not knowing any other platforms, is what has me concered. CAn being a MA guy and make the switch to a hog or avo easily??

James Feenstra

Subject says it all. I cant afford a full MA which is what i want but not knowing any other platforms, is what has me concered. CAn being a MA guy and make the switch to a hog or avo easily??
a MA guy can program a hog or an avo, but probably won't like them

Hog 3/Road Hog is like a bad version of MA with less playbacks and options...that being said I'm running a show on an IPC right now (thankfully it's just a corporate gig so I can get by with only 9 playbacks)...it'd be more useful with a wing or two

Avo is popular in the states and with metal guys because it's a quick and dirty console, but lacks a lot of the advanced functions of the Hog and MA lines

I'd look at Chamsys and Vista as cheaper options to MA, chamsys will be very easily picked up by any MA programmer and they seem to like them

Vista gets mixed reviews, but is by far my favourite desk due to the ease of programming and versatility of the console.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

a MA guy can program a hog or an avo, but probably won't like them

Hog 3/Road Hog is like a bad version of MA with less playbacks and options...that being said I'm running a show on an IPC right now (thankfully it's just a corporate gig so I can get by with only 9 playbacks)...it'd be more useful with a wing or two

Avo is popular in the states and with metal guys because it's a quick and dirty console, but lacks a lot of the advanced functions of the Hog and MA lines

I'd look at Chamsys and Vista as cheaper options to MA, chamsys will be very easily picked up by any MA programmer and they seem to like them

Vista gets mixed reviews, but is by far my favourite desk due to the ease of programming and versatility of the console.

+1 for chamsys.. best damn console out there for the money.

Neil Juneja

• Muvment Lighting

Definitely Chamsys.  They have consoles up to the $40k range, but you can start with PC wings for around $1500

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!

And another vote for Chamsys Magic Q. 
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California

Hi Guys,

Will this be of any value learning the Chamsys Magic Q?

It looks like you just plug into the Computer and a DMX input.

http://www.chamsys.co.uk/magicdmx

Regards,  John

waldo [Casey Williams]

Hi Guys,

Will this be of any value learning the Chamsys Magic Q?

It looks like you just plug into the Computer and a DMX input.

http://www.chamsys.co.uk/magicdmx

Regards,  John

Yes; that is to say, you can learn MQ (or any other software-based console) without an actual output universe. But that chamsys adapter is the cheapest (especially the 5-hour-limited version for a whopping œ∑´®†¥¨ˆø‘“øæ…¬˚∆˙©ƒ∂å

waldo [Casey Williams]

...cheapest option, far and away, for a whopping £10.

(sorry, accidently hit 'post' prematurely while searching for the £-sterling keyboard shortcut...it's option-3 on the Mac if anyone's curious!)

I just ordered the full version of that adapter, which is still an amazing deal. That will make the 3rd universe for me (enttec ODE on the other 2).

One limitation: I believe you can run at most 1 universe with the MQ usb-dmx adapter, and must use other hardware for any other universes.

But to answer your question: no, you don't really need any output adapters to spend time getting over the (significant, imho) learning curve with MQ. You can look at the output window and see the results of your programming. My advice is to spend the time training without cost and then buy output hardware when you've got your show ready.

good luck!

waldo

John Livings

Hi Waldo,

Thanks for the heads-up, I ordered the 10 Pound ($17.00) unit.

An Inexpensive way to get started using the computer, I now use an Elation SD-2, and even that learning curve is steep for me ;D

We own very few moving lights so 1 universe is fine.

Also it was not my intention to HJ the thread.

Regards,  John

John Livings

(sorry, accidently hit 'post' prematurely while searching for the £-sterling keyboard shortcut...it's option-3 on the Mac if anyone's curious!)

Or you could use the Long Cut;  Click on U.S. Flag (Upper Right Toolbar>Character Pallet>Symbols>Currency   :)

Regards,  John

waldo [Casey Williams]

Click on U.S. Flag (Upper Right Toolbar>Character Pallet>Symbols>Currency

Ah yes, I've been deleting that flag for the last 5 computers I've owned (not un-patriotic, just don't want to see any flag taking up real estate on my screen).

Anyhow, my Chamsys adapter arrived only an hour after my last post; seems to work like a champ, no drivers needed. 2 days postal shipping from UK to California, gotta love that! Complaint: usb end has a large silicone encasement which is rather outsized. That's the end of my review for now.

I do have two things to add:

The chamsys USB adapter is hardwired to output universe 1.

As far as learning MagicQ goes, be aware of their forum: magicq forum (danger, answers in Dutch sometimes.)

cheers,
waldo

John Livings

[Anyhow, my Chamsys adapter arrived only an hour after my last post; seems to work like a champ, no drivers needed. 2 days postal shipping from UK to California, gotta love that! Complaint: usb end has a large silicone encasement which is rather outsized. That's the end of my review for now.]

I guess I will have to wait a little longer for mine :(

[This email is confirmation that we have dispatched your order. Please allow 28 days for delivery.

If you have any queries regarding your order, you can contact us by email at [email protected] or by phone on +44 (0)2380 238666. ]

Regards,  John

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Still looking for a big boy console. Road Hog, IPC, Ma light or Avo???
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 11:09:38 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.