ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thunderbolt MADI interface?  (Read 11000 times)

Josh Bessom

• Lazy Preacher
Thunderbolt MADI interface?
« on: June 02, 2011, 08:26:13 pm »

Seeing that Apple has discontinued the expresscard slot on all but the 17" MacBook Pro, anybody know of a Thunderbolt MADI interface?  Or even a Thunderbolt to expresscard slot adapter?

Would really rather not buy a new MacBook, and the 17" is just too big for me anyway.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Thunderbolt MADI interface?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 11:24:57 pm »

Seeing that Apple has discontinued the expresscard slot on all but the 17" MacBook Pro, anybody know of a Thunderbolt MADI interface?  Or even a Thunderbolt to expresscard slot adapter?

Would really rather not buy a new MacBook, and the 17" is just too big for me anyway.

There are not many audio applications that need the bandwidth of Thunderbolt. I have not heard of any dedicated audio interfaces in the pipeline, but the pro video world will be getting TB support soon. AJA, Matrox, and Blackmagic have all said they will come out with TB versions of their interfaces. Multiple streams of HD video are what really burn up the bandwidth.

You can get a lot of audio down a Firewire cable. Even dedicated high performance systems like Optocore get multiple hundreds of channels in 2GB networks.

Mac

Russel Murton

• RPM Audio
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 09:16:31 am »

Only one I have about so far has been Apogee Symphony I/O will be getting a Thunderbolt equipped Chassis.

Josh Bessom

• Lazy Preacher
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 06:41:17 pm »

There are not many audio applications that need the bandwidth of Thunderbolt. I have not heard of any dedicated audio interfaces in the pipeline, but the pro video world will be getting TB support soon. AJA, Matrox, and Blackmagic have all said they will come out with TB versions of their interfaces. Multiple streams of HD video are what really burn up the bandwidth.

You can get a lot of audio down a Firewire cable. Even dedicated high performance systems like Optocore get multiple hundreds of channels in 2GB networks.

Mac

True, firewire is good enough for audio.  So I guess what I'm really asking is, is there any MADI interface for laptops besides the RME MADIface (which is expresscard).  How can I get 56 channels of MADI to and fro a MacBook Pro without an expresscard slot.

Russel Murton

• RPM Audio
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 07:49:32 am »

True, firewire is good enough for audio.  So I guess what I'm really asking is, is there any MADI interface for laptops besides the RME MADIface (which is expresscard).  How can I get 56 channels of MADI to and fro a MacBook Pro without an expresscard slot.

I do not think there is a way.

Only option would be the upcoming Thunderbolt PCIe chassis from Sonnet: Echo™ Express PCIe 2.0 Expansion Chassis with Thunderbolt™ Ports. And add a PCIe MADI card from RME, SSL etc.

http://www.sonnettech.com/news/pr2011/pr041111_thunderbolt.html

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 01:08:14 am »

I recently had a vendor advise me against purchasing a RME HDSPe MADIface because the expresscard slot is "going away" (I don't disagree) and that RME is "coming out with a thunderbolt version of the MADIface." 

Now this may be true, but it isn't announced and could be 1 month or 1 year away.  Plus thunderbolt has extremely limited deployment so far so not having a TB equipped machine I decided to not hold out on this and just bought the HDSPe MADIface. 

I'm just hoping that if TB really does catch on that someone will eventually come out with an expresscard to TB interface.  Should be easy since TB just packages PCIe into another bus and expresscard is also just PCIe packed into another format.  I wouldn't expect it to hit the market until a year out at least.  It would be a somewhat limited market product.  But if TB does get widely adopted then I could see a mfgr like SIIG come out with an expresscard adapter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.