ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: needing help  (Read 6990 times)

Matt Martin

Re: needing help
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 11:55:59 PM »

I've swapped all of my gear to JTR speakers. I use the 12x tops and orbit shifter subs. For us, they are very scalable system.
Matt Martin
Southern Missouri Sound

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 04:07:12 PM »

We're looking to replace the existing PA.  We would like something scaleable, feeding audiences of 200 to 5,000.  We would also like something ground-stackable, able to run on minimum power (if possible), easy to set-up/teardown, powered or unpowered, and preferably budget-friendly.

I know this is probably in the searches, but I don't know how to search for this.  We're looking to do something very soon.

Please give some ideas to look at.  A JBL SRX rig of 4 tops, 4 sides, processing, and amps is about $22,000 new.  We're looking for something along those lines, etc..

Thoughts please:

The SRX rig isn't scalable to 5k punters outside (unless only a few hundred want to hear it loud) and doesn't run on minimal power.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

dustin Bradley

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 04:11:51 PM »

reality check:  audiences up to 3,000.  The SRX rig will require 4 dedicated 20A circuits, which is do-able; I just didn't want a system that would require a bunch of circuits to work.
~ dustin Bradley

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 05:15:42 PM »

reality check:  audiences up to 3,000.  The SRX rig will require 4 dedicated 20A circuits, which is do-able; I just didn't want a system that would require a bunch of circuits to work.

Every system runs on a bunch of circuits... after the "really big switch".

The SRX rig will not do 3,000 outdoors, at least not for the kind of acts we frequently work with, or because of the venue geometry.  I'm trying to figure out if or how much different your situation is.

How about reviewing my other questions?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 06:06:31 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

James Feenstra

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 06:45:28 PM »

We're looking to replace the existing PA.  We would like something scaleable, feeding audiences of 200 to 5,000.  We would also like something ground-stackable, able to run on minimum power (if possible), easy to set-up/teardown, powered or unpowered, and preferably budget-friendly.

I know this is probably in the searches, but I don't know how to search for this.  We're looking to do something very soon.

Please give some ideas to look at.  A JBL SRX rig of 4 tops, 4 sides, processing, and amps is about $22,000 new.  We're looking for something along those lines, etc..

Thoughts please:
I can't think of anything new in that price range (for full rack and stack system anyways) that would reliably do 5000 people with proper coverage or spl and sound at least moderately good. a pair of srx's a side definitely won't cut it with a crowd that big.

maybe if it's inside a wide but shallow room for a talking head gig with a speaker who knows how to use a microphone and project, but that's still pushing it on a relatively low budget.

personally I'd look into used gear and pick up a mid sized line array...something like 4 boxes a side over 3 subs with a decent box you can use for delays and/or fills. You *may* be able to fit that into your budget with something like qsc, ev, peavy or yorkville. Not terrible boxes but by no means competition to something like meyer or l'acoustics.

it also allows for expansion in the future as you can easily pick up more boxes. I'd check and find out what people in the area have so you can cross rent to each other if one of you has a show you need a bigger PA on as well.

I assume you have a smaller system already which you can use for the smaller gigs
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 07:01:24 PM »

The SRX rig isn't scalable to 5k punters outside (unless only a few hundred want to hear it loud) and doesn't run on minimal power.

Exactly, I use SRX boxes everyday, in many differing configurations ranging from a pair of 715s on stands, up to 8x725+8x728. We top out at about 3-4k people with the full rig, providing side stage sound at a local festival, the main stage gets sub-contracted to a larger company plain and simple. It's not a matter of power here, it's a matter of getting that power where it needs to go, and an SRX rig just isn't designed for that type of application IMO.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 07:01:24 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.