ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: DJ System Pics  (Read 113134 times)

Stephen Snipes

Re: DJ System Pics
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2016, 12:20:13 AM »

My Personal Wedding (2 laptops because I did a short set so our families could see me DJ)

Bank of America/ Ritz Carlton Urban Gardens in Charlotte, NC

Same system from my wedding but I was DJing a wedding for someone

DJ Gear
2 - Tech 1200mk2
1 - Rane 62

Audio
2 - SRX 835 (4 in middle pic)
2 - SRX 828 (4 in middle pic)
1 - EV ZXA5 for DJ Monitor

Lighting
2 - Chauvet LED Q-Spot 160
4 - Blizzard RGBAW Puck
4 - Cheap lights I had the promoter purchase that actually worked better than I expected (middle pic only)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2016, 02:19:36 AM »

My Personal Wedding (2 laptops because I did a short set so our families could see me DJ)

Bank of America/ Ritz Carlton Urban Gardens in Charlotte, NC

Same system from my wedding but I was DJing a wedding for someone

DJ Gear
2 - Tech 1200mk2
1 - Rane 62

Audio
2 - SRX 835 (4 in middle pic)
2 - SRX 828 (4 in middle pic)
1 - EV ZXA5 for DJ Monitor

Lighting
2 - Chauvet LED Q-Spot 160
4 - Blizzard RGBAW Puck
4 - Cheap lights I had the promoter purchase that actually worked better than I expected (middle pic only)

Nice looking setup, love the SRX.  When using two tops a side you need to "splay" the speakers instead of aiming them straight ahead.  That causes a portion of the coverage to overlap, in the areas of overlap you will have destructive interference.  Unless you need to cover a really wide room I doubt you need two tops a side either.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

veditor78

« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2016, 09:15:30 AM »

Don't let the simple look of this setup fool you. Please forgive the poor quality of the photo, it has an Instagram filter on it.

The subwoofers are under the table cloth in front of the table. I put the movers on top of the subs.

There are two more movers on top of truss totems and 4 pars on a crank stand behind the pipe and drape.

Behind the camera are two wireless delay speakers for an attached dining area that was about 80' from the main speakers. Without the delay speakers i would have had to blow away the people close to the DJ table and it would have increased the chances of feedback. It also allowed me to control the volume of music vs. mic to these speakers as I fed them with an Aux feed from the mixer.

All the speakers are networked, either hardwire or WiFi, to be controlled with the SRX Connect app. I did this so I could control the sub volume and set the delay and volume of the delay speakers.

Audio:

FOH -
2 SRX812P, 1 SRX818SP, 1 SRX828SP
Mackie 1402VLZ3
Denon MC6000 w/ VDJ
Sennheiser EW135 wireless mic w/ remote located A 1031 omni-directional antennas
Sennheiser E835 wired mic
dbx 1066 for mics

DELAY -
2 SRX812P
2 Sennheiser EW135 receivers w/ 2 each remote located A 2003-UHF directional antennas
2 IOGEAR GWU627 WiFi to Ethernet bridge
1 Sennheiser wireless beltpack transmitter

Lighting:

4 Chauvet Intimidator 350 Spot LED
4 Chauvet COREpar 80
1 ETC Source4 LED Tungsten for monogram
1 Chauvet D-Fi Stream 6
Elation Emulation DMX software
MIDIcon surface wing for Emulation
Josh Rawls

Stephen Snipes

« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2016, 08:45:48 PM »

Nice looking setup, love the SRX.  When using two tops a side you need to "splay" the speakers instead of aiming them straight ahead.  That causes a portion of the coverage to overlap, in the areas of overlap you will have destructive interference.  Unless you need to cover a really wide room I doubt you need two tops a side either.

Oh I definitely need 2 tops a side.  Had I ran 1 a side it would have been clipping all night long.   

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2016, 10:42:17 PM »

Oh I definitely need 2 tops a side.  Had I ran 1 a side it would have been clipping all night long.

The math doesn't support that assertion.

You add cabinets to increase width (area) not volume (loudness).  Under the most ideal of circumstances the extra cabinet would give you 3db.  With the amount of overlap you have you are destroying more sound than you are creating.

Without splaying the cabinets properly you won't get the width.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Snipes

« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2016, 10:56:46 AM »

The math doesn't support that assertion.

You add cabinets to increase width (area) not volume (loudness).  Under the most ideal of circumstances the extra cabinet would give you 3db.  With the amount of overlap you have you are destroying more sound than you are creating.

Without splaying the cabinets properly you won't get the width.

With 2 it was clipping with 4 it wasn't... Not really much more to it than that.  Would the crowd the notice the difference?  Nope not one bit, as almost every club in the city has a horrible sound system.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2016, 12:56:02 PM »

With 2 it was clipping with 4 it wasn't... Not really much more to it than that.  Would the crowd the notice the difference?  Nope not one bit, as almost every club in the city has a horrible sound system.

What does either of those things have to do with anything?

Why was the system pushed to clipping?  Were two speakers a side producing more output or covering more area?  Since the DJ/Operator can't know the answer to either question behind the speakers were measurements taken to establish levels in the club at various input levels?

I am sure that the DJ forums fawn over this stuff, but the fact is we listen with our ears not our eyes and those two forward facing speakers the system would sound clearer with less distortion.

Because other clubs in your market suck you want to take great gear, deploy it improperly, make it underperform then use the fallacious reasoning that it sucks less than other clubs in the market?

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2016, 06:39:01 AM »

The volume difference between clipping and not clipping is almost in-perceivable. When you add  two more speakers on to two clipping speakers you get 4 clipping speakers, unless you pull your fader down, which I'm sure you did.

People mistakenly hear destructive interference as loudness, so I'm sure you thought it was louder with 4 top speakers but per what Scott said, it most likely wasn't actually any louder. At least not the tops. Subs, might have been a different story.

Had they been properly splayed you would have been producing a little more overall sound in the room, and I think when you are just on the verge of not having enough, 3 db can make a difference, but as you had them unlikely you got any benefit with your tops.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Stephen Snipes

« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2016, 02:12:30 AM »

What does either of those things have to do with anything?

Why was the system pushed to clipping?  Were two speakers a side producing more output or covering more area?  Since the DJ/Operator can't know the answer to either question behind the speakers were measurements taken to establish levels in the club at various input levels?

I am sure that the DJ forums fawn over this stuff, but the fact is we listen with our ears not our eyes and those two forward facing speakers the system would sound clearer with less distortion.

Because other clubs in your market suck you want to take great gear, deploy it improperly, make it underperform then use the fallacious reasoning that it sucks less than other clubs in the market?

If you're looking for a scientific answer sorry that won't happen.  Like I said, when just 1 per side was on the limit light was popping on constantly.  Once 2 per side were on it barely came on. I'll be right back in the same venue, renting the same system to them again in Nov.  I can take video and screenshot the db if that will please you? 

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2016, 02:25:49 AM »

If you're looking for a scientific answer sorry that won't happen.  Like I said, when just 1 per side was on the limit light was popping on constantly.  Once 2 per side were on it barely came on. I'll be right back in the same venue, renting the same system to them again in Nov.  I can take video and screenshot the db if that will please you? 

Stephen,

It's not about pleasing me.  I am living testimony that the guys in this forum that freely give advice will reshape your company and turn you into a better operator.

I don't have an emotional connection beyond gratitude for the tools I have gotten here that I am trying to share. 

What I am asking you to do is to take the leap of science and trust the physics.  A DB meter isn't going to show you anything however I am sure Ivan can give you a clever method to show just how much destructive interference is occurring in the area of overlap. 

You say the light was flashing and it wasn't with two, does that mean that you turned down the input level when the second speaker was added?  If so why did you do that?  Did you think the system was perceptibly louder and an adjustment was in order?

What is your gain structuring?  Where did you make this adjustment?  Did you collect any data from the speakers?  It certainly would be worth bringing some Ethernet cables and/or an access point if you need wireless and using the JBL tools to collect performance data.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2016, 02:25:49 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.