ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: DJ System Pics  (Read 112575 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: DJ System Pics
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2017, 06:32:32 PM »

The legs are spread more than adequate...

And you determined this how?

The distance between tripods is also within manufactures specs...

Aside from the prepackaged truss kits you can buy from Guitar Center, I'm not aware of any tripod manufacturer that states how large a span of truss their products can support.  Similarly, I'm not aware of any trussing manufacturer that publishes load tables for a cantilever situation like this, particularly where the centerpoint deflection is up instead of down, as in your case.

They are rated for 100 kgs each and there is barely 120 kgs of stuff hanging including cables.

Staying within a given product's SWL doesn't automatically make it safe, especially if it isn't set up all the way. 

We both are certified riggers that take these matters very seriously.

That's interesting.  Aside from intentionally reducing the stability of your entire setup, I also noticed that the direction of the lacing at junctions is parallel when they should be opposed.  I understand that isn't always possible depending on the make/model/size of the truss, but that'd make me even more hesitant to try such a setup.  Just my two cents.  Be safe.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2017, 07:36:23 PM »

And you determined this how?

Aside from the prepackaged truss kits you can buy from Guitar Center, I'm not aware of any tripod manufacturer that states how large a span of truss their products can support.  Similarly, I'm not aware of any trussing manufacturer that publishes load tables for a cantilever situation like this, particularly where the centerpoint deflection is up instead of down, as in your case.

Staying within a given product's SWL doesn't automatically make it safe, especially if it isn't set up all the way. 

That's interesting.  Aside from intentionally reducing the stability of your entire setup, I also noticed that the direction of the lacing at junctions is parallel when they should be opposed.  I understand that isn't always possible depending on the make/model/size of the truss, but that'd make me even more hesitant to try such a setup.  Just my two cents.  Be safe.

^^^ This is why you need to be careful whipping your dick out in here, you will probably get it stomped on. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC
DJ System Pics
« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2017, 07:56:50 PM »

What is the truss brand?  It appears to be spigoted like global truss and the like. GT does not publish any data for cantilevered loading. I don't even remember seeing that for Tomcat. My experience is like Jeff's. Most manufacturers specify maximum allowable deflection between two supports for various lengths. Some also provide max distributed loads as well as single, double, and quarter point loads.

Regarding the stands, I could see that leg spread being acceptable only if the stands are very heavy. Even then, I agree with Jeff. What take the chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:00:30 PM by BrianHenry »

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2017, 07:58:30 PM »

^^^ This is why you need to be careful whipping your dick out in here, you will probably get it stomped on.

Thanks, now I have soda up my nose. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2017, 11:10:06 PM »

From what I see in the picture, it appears to be "euro style" truss, as offered by Global Truss, Cosmic, and others. The lift stands appear to be Global ST-132 stands, which are rated at 100 kg maximum vertical load. The crank handle that can be reversed "in" sure looks like the ST-132 design.  The OP appears to be European (based on the phone number and prominent CE stickers on some of the gear). Perhaps GT (or whomever) provides more load data and other information than I've seen in USA-market documentation.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Peter Hvedstrup

• Disco-Flex
« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2017, 05:10:51 PM »

From what I see in the picture, it appears to be "euro style" truss, as offered by Global Truss, Cosmic, and others. The lift stands appear to be Global ST-132 stands, which are rated at 100 kg maximum vertical load. The crank handle that can be reversed "in" sure looks like the ST-132 design.  The OP appears to be European (based on the phone number and prominent CE stickers on some of the gear). Perhaps GT (or whomever) provides more load data and other information than I've seen in USA-market documentation.

That is very close to being 100% correct.

It's funny how some people refuse to listen and keeps going down a wrong path. This a very safe setup and it's within manufacturer specs and guidelines which are readily available on all our rigging gear.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2017, 08:54:55 PM »

It's funny how some people refuse to listen...

I asked you several pointed questions - I'm all ears for the response.  Simply stating "This is a very safe setup" without any sort of numerical verification or engineering analysis won't cut it here.  A certified rigger such as yourself should have no difficulty proving the safety of this cantilever assembly with parallel lacing at the joints, or lack thereof.  I'll also ask it again - please kindly explain how you determined that only opening your tripods to the first notch provides "more than adequate" stability.

...and keeps going down a wrong path...

A wrong path of what...being safe?  Minimizing risk in a life safety situation?  Not cutting corners for my own convenience?  Yep, guilty as charged. 

...and it's within manufacturer specs and guidelines which are readily available on all our rigging gear.

Again, you're welcome to prove me wrong.  Please do - I'd love to see the specs and guidelines that are published for this particular form of setup.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2017, 08:35:35 PM »

As the owner of "euro style" truss, and ST-132 crank lifts, I too am interested in seeing the data. I am aware that the so-called 12" box truss is available in both 2mm and 3mm wall thickness. (At least for some sizes of truss.)
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2017, 12:22:09 PM »

The legs are spread more than adequate
... so there's a point where they'd be spread *less* than they are now that would be considered "adequate?" Just wondering.

Either way...
We both are certified riggers that take these matters very seriously.
if this is truly the case, you should be able to talk about the load calculations, weights, and so on.

-Ray "not a certified rigger but still does things safely"
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2017, 12:22:09 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.