ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with building/buying insert looms.  (Read 4844 times)

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
Need help with building/buying insert looms.
« on: June 21, 2011, 05:57:51 PM »

Replacing a A&H desk that has single point TRS inserts with a desk that has seperate TRS send and return inserts which means building new insert looms for about 24+ channels of outboard.

I've priced out everything from Audiopile but will still have to either custom order peices or modify them to for XLR connectors on the rack side and the tails wont span wide enough to reach all the inputs of the 64 frame console. Classic problems I know.

For this reason I'm considering building my own as i have some materials already and could use some advice on recommended shrink wrap types and brands and opinions on orange county speaker's 1/4 TRS ends as I'm going to have to buy blind and in bulk.

From my iPhone. Please excuse typos.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 06:40:28 PM by Marsellus Fariss »
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

Don Davis

• So Cal
Re: Need help with building/buying insert looms.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:39:41 PM »

Replacing a A&H desk that has single point TRS inserts with a desk that has seperate TRS send and return inserts which means building new insert looms for about 24+ channels of outboard.

I've priced out everything from Audiopile but will still have to either custom order peices or modify them to for XLR connectors on the rack side and the tails wont span wide enough to reach all the inputs of the 64 frame console. Classic problems I know.

For this reason I'm considering building my own as i have some materials already and could use some advice on recommended shrink wrap types and brands and opinions on orange county speaker's 1/4 TRS ends as I'm going to have to buy blind and in bulk.

I'll be at OC Speaker tomorrow to pick up some stuff. Do you want me to look at their TRS ends and give you my opinion? I've bought mic cables from them before and the XLR connectors aren't up the Neutrik standards but are usable. Camel traders has always had good pricing on Neutrik ends, you might ask if they do bulk pricing.

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:30:24 PM »

Yea man that would be helpful! I like thier mic line and use a lot or thier XLR ends because of the price already but I've not had any experience with the 1/4's.

I'll be at OC Speaker tomorrow to pick up some stuff. Do you want me to look at their TRS ends and give you my opinion? I've bought mic cables from them before and the XLR connectors aren't up the Neutrik standards but are usable. Camel traders has always had good pricing on Neutrik ends, you might ask if they do bulk pricing.
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Don Davis

• So Cal
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 06:20:33 PM »

Hi Marsellus,
I finally got over to OC Speaker and had a chance to look at their TRS connectors. They're not bad for the price and in my opinion look like they would serve well for your need. The price break in bulk is pretty significant too. I took a photo of one disassembled (sorry for the bad phone photo).
Hope this helps.
Don

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 04:31:53 PM »

I do appreciate that! Looks like they're a pretty solid Switchcraft knockoff. And while I like the Neutrik style better I think at the price these will get the job done. It's an install and won't be drug around the world. I'll just have to guy a case of beer, rent some movies and spend the day soldiering ends.

Can anybody recommend a quality shrink tube?

Hi Marsellus,
I finally got over to OC Speaker and had a chance to look at their TRS connectors. They're not bad for the price and in my opinion look like they would serve well for your need. The price break in bulk is pretty significant too. I took a photo of one disassembled (sorry for the bad phone photo).
Hope this helps.
Don
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 05:36:28 PM »

Hello.

These threads might interest you :) :

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/608694/0/?srch=Kristian+Loom+insert+TRS+TS#msg_608694

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/51372/0/

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/299746/0/?srch=insert+loom#msg_299746

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/287333/4389/?srch=TRS+insert#msg_287333

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/10003/0/?srch=insert+loom#msg_10003

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 05:36:28 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.