ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On board processing or Driverack PX?  (Read 2947 times)

Chris dePaola

• Outdoor Movie Events | AirScreen Inflatable Movie Screen Rentals | Blazing Star Cinema
On board processing or Driverack PX?
« on: May 31, 2011, 03:04:38 PM »

So just got some JBL PRX615's and PRX618-xlf's and am curious what folks think about either simply sending my signal to the speakers and letting them do the processing or running through the Driverack PX that I have in our rack.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: On board processing or Driverack PX?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 03:15:14 PM »

So just got some JBL PRX615's and PRX618-xlf's and am curious what folks think about either simply sending my signal to the speakers and letting them do the processing or running through the Driverack PX that I have in our rack.

How about both? I would use the driverack for eq and the builtin crossover (unless JBL has a specific preset for those in the driverack)
Jay Barracato

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 04:55:10 PM »

It entirely depends on the situation at hand. Is it a mobile rig or an installation? Is it for speech and program playback or a band. If a band is it a big loud band or is the mix mostly just vocal and DI's?

The processing in the PRX boxes will take care of box correction and component time alignment and protection but it won't do equalization for the venue, time align tops to subs or time align the whole PA to the backline. The Driverack will if you tell it too. And while the Driverack does has Graphic EQ's built it I find them cumbersome to use on the fly and totally less then ideal unless perhaps your running the control software on a laptop and can grab controls with a mouse on the fly.

So... IF you find it beneficial to do room corrections, time alignment and other "seasoning to taste" for your rig then put the DRPA in the chain and us it for that. If you never bother with these things because it's ancillary for your application or don't know the techniques yet then leave it out and experiment with this kind of thing later maybe.   
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 05:16:50 PM »

I have four of the XLF's and I would agree with the answers you have been given.  The crossover and DSP in the XLF is excellent and made for the system. But, you at least need EQ for the over all system, and if the Driverack PX is what you have, use it for that.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 05:18:25 PM by Chuck Simon »

Chris dePaola

• Outdoor Movie Events | AirScreen Inflatable Movie Screen Rentals | Blazing Star Cinema
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:10:13 PM »

Thanks for all the input, greatly appreciated.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:10:13 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.