ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which has the highest spl out of these two speakers?  (Read 6963 times)

billy peterson

Which has the highest spl out of these two speakers?
« on: May 31, 2011, 01:19:30 PM »

I'm wondering, which has the highest maximum spl between the Nexo PS15, Martin Audio H3 and EAW KF650 speakers? Does anyone know?

Mark Mattocks

Re: Which has the highest spl out of these two speakers?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 01:58:10 PM »

I'm wondering, which has the highest maximum spl between the Nexo PS15, Martin Audio H3 and EAW KF650 speakers? Does anyone know?

They are all in the 134-137dB range (calculated). All of the spec sheets are online at the manufacturers' websites - not really hard information to find.

billy peterson

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 02:17:25 PM »

I know the Martin H3 spec states that it's capable of 131db maximum continuous and the Nexo spec states it's capable of between 131-134db maximum continuous but the EAW KF650 spl psec is calculated so I wasn't sure how much spl it could give. That's why I thought i'd come and ask you guys because i'm sure you've maybe heard and used all 3 cabs at some point.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 02:21:34 PM »

They are all in the 134-137dB range (calculated). All of the spec sheets are online at the manufacturers' websites - not really hard information to find.

A.  That's three speakers, not two.

B.  The Nexo is considerably different in configuration from the other two. 

C.  Nexo's spl specs of a 133-136db "nominal" are misleading.  The fine print says this is only through the band 300-3000hz.    Based on their wideband sensitivity rating of 99db, max spl peak would be 99+33=132(peak), given their 2000 watt(peak) amp recommendation for the LF section in passive mode.

D.  The 650 is spec'd at 134.5db max spl.  That calculates backwards to the 100db sensitivity rating of the LF, 700 watts of continous power yielding a 128.5db spl figure.  A 6db crest would bring it up to the 134.5 figure.

Given the design of the H3 and the 650, I'd say either of them are the louder of the three, and probably have lower distortion, and better directivety.  The H3 has a rated sensitivity of 104db in the LF section, with a caveat that I can't find on the spec sheet-the "Notes" section only goes to "4", and the sensitivity ratings are referred to a non existant "6" on the notes section.

Now, depending on what your needs are, the Nexo may still be the right speaker in spite of this.

What are you trying to do?

Best regards,

John

billy peterson

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 07:04:59 PM »

Here's the specs of the Martin H3+, not sure exactly what differences there are between the H3 and H3+ :

http://www.martin-audio.com/products/datasheets/h3+datasheet.pdf

I'm asking because i'm wanting a pair of tops to go with my custom made dual 18" subs, they're loaded with RCF LF18N401 18" drivers. I do small gigs for no more than 300 people really and thought i'd ask you guys which were the loudest because I know all three speakers are great quality.

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 07:16:09 PM »

You need to take other things in consideration too. The Martin box are almost double in size from both of the others. Plus it is 70 degree in horizontal dispersion unlike the Nexo which has asymmetrical dispersion, or the 650 that is 60 degree box. Plus if you think about the new Nexo ps15-2, then you should know that it is very dsp dependent in order to sound as is should.
Also EAW and Martin are biamp/triamp boxes, Nexo can be run passive.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 08:03:12 PM »

I'm asking because i'm wanting a pair of tops to go with my custom made dual 18" subs, they're loaded with RCF LF18N401 18" drivers. I do small gigs for no more than 300 people really and thought i'd ask you guys which were the loudest because I know all three speakers are great quality.

Honestly, the subs aren't the worry(up to a point).  Shows up to 300 people-in what type of venues?  You need to define coverage patterns-the 650's would be great in a narrow room with the stage at one end, but may not be much fun outside where folks would tend to crowd around the stage, unless seating were fixed in a complimentary pattern for the speakers perhaps.

Or, are you able to fly the cabinets high enough to expand the coverage area at ear level? Maybe stacked on top of the subs on stage wings, and people barricaded back a bit to allow them to be herded into the coverage better?  Give us more info about what you're plan is on deployment, and better answers can be posted.

Also, what type of music?

Best regards,

John

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 09:26:46 PM »

I know the Martin H3 spec states that it's capable of 131db maximum continuous and the Nexo spec states it's capable of between 131-134db maximum continuous but the EAW KF650 spl psec is calculated so I wasn't sure how much spl it could give. That's why I thought i'd come and ask you guys because i'm sure you've maybe heard and used all 3 cabs at some point.
I'm sure the maximum output specified for all three models is probably calculated, in fact it may be calculated based on an measured 'continuous' power rating, a peak power level assumed to be 6dB greater than the continuous rating (based on the 6dB crest factor of the test signal used for determing that power rating), having exactly that peak power level into the speaker at all frequencies and a nominal sensitivity that may or may not be valid for all frequencies over which the speaker might be operating.

As John suggested, there are probably other factors to consider.  And one might be how the output relates to that of your subs, is having the greatest potential output that important if you have would run the mains well below that in order to get good balance with your subs?

billy peterson

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 04:00:55 AM »

The venues is a function room, kind of like a hall, and its measurements are 80ft x 45ft. I don't mind the speakers being heavy and big, it's sound quality and spl that is more important to me than having light boxes really. I'm not able to fly the speakers, they'll be stacked on top of scafolding to get them up high enough to fire over people's heads.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 07:29:17 AM »

I'm not able to fly the speakers, they'll be stacked on top of scafolding to get them up high enough to fire over people's heads.
Why would you want them firing over people's heads?  Or did you actually mean to get them up higher and then angle them down at the listeners?

billy peterson

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 12:48:32 PM »

I meant get the horns above people's heads and then angle the speakers down slightly.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 12:48:32 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.