ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving head lamp output bad...Cause?  (Read 8220 times)

Bill Bluell

Moving head lamp output bad...Cause?
« on: May 31, 2011, 10:57:15 AM »

This is a general question which should apply to most fixtures. The lamp output of one of the movers is about 1/3 of what it should be when compared to seven of the same movers. All the optics are fine, lamp exchanges between paired movers indicates that it is not the lamp but something internal to that specific fixture. My question is, if you had this issue, where would you start. The unit is older and discontinued and there is no support offered for it. Which component would be the likely culprit. I suspect it is  the transformer but am unsure. I will also note that all of the other functions work correctly so there appears to be no drop off in voltage to dichroic, gobo, shutter or pan and tilt motors. Thanks for the help, Bill

James Feenstra

Re: Moving head lamp output bad...Cause?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 02:25:46 AM »

This is a general question which should apply to most fixtures. The lamp output of one of the movers is about 1/3 of what it should be when compared to seven of the same movers. All the optics are fine, lamp exchanges between paired movers indicates that it is not the lamp but something internal to that specific fixture. My question is, if you had this issue, where would you start. The unit is older and discontinued and there is no support offered for it. Which component would be the likely culprit. I suspect it is  the transformer but am unsure. I will also note that all of the other functions work correctly so there appears to be no drop off in voltage to dichroic, gobo, shutter or pan and tilt motors. Thanks for the help, Bill
if the actual bulb is dimmer in fixture a than fixture b, i'd suggest an issue with the ballast

if the light output is less from fixtures a than fixture b, i'd be inclined to look at the shutter/dimmer/iris areas of the light first to see if something is impeding the lights output, mainly because those things are a lot easier to fix than a ballast
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Bill Bluell

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 10:14:07 AM »

if the actual bulb is dimmer in fixture a than fixture b, i'd suggest an issue with the ballast
It is nearly impossible for me to discern a difference in light output from one hid lamp to another, even when there is a large drop-off in output from one lamp to another. Stare into an hid lamp long enough James and you will ruin your night vision

if the light output is less from fixtures a than fixture b, i'd be inclined to look at the shutter/dimmer/iris areas of the light first to see if something is impeding the lights output, mainly because those things are a lot easier to fix than a ballast
I can assure you that the output is not being effected by the dimmer/shutter/iris mechanism. I cant see a difference in lamp output when, blindly I might add, I compare the lamps side by side, outside of the fixture, although this is not a scientific method of determining that output  8) 8)
When I install lamp A in fixture 1 (fixture in question) and 2 through 8, there is a noticeable difference or drop off in output of about 2/3 in fixture one , while the same lamp shows no loss of output in fixtures 2 through 8. There is also no loss of operation in any of the other components in fixture 1. The only thing that is effected is the lamp intensity. The motors run at correct speed so only the lamp output is effected. I have a spare fixture which currently has a solder joint loose on one of the boards so I will exchange the ballast and see if that corrects it.  Thanks for the suggestion James
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:21:10 AM by Bill Bluell »

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 11:32:01 AM »

What fixtures are you using? It's possible one of us may have experience with that specific fixture.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Bill Bluell

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 11:47:44 AM »

What fixtures are you using? It's possible one of us may have experience with that specific fixture.
Eliminator hulk 150. These were  $125.00 each,  so I don't have a huge investment in these but when you surround a drum riser with all of them, it makes for a neat and cheap little effect.  I only mention this as it means if I have to spend money on repair, it will not kill me. I would still however, like to remedy this myself. Thanks for the help

Bill Bluell

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 11:52:35 AM »

Eliminator hulk 150. These were  $125.00 each,  so I don't have a huge investment in these but when you surround a drum riser with all of them, it makes for a neat and cheap little effect.  I only mention this as it means if I have to spend money on repair, it will not kill me. I would still however, like to remedy this myself. Thanks for the help
If you own these lights, I am in no way bashing them. For what they are, they are great lights and I would buy them again. I certainly would never cover a large stage with these but they are very effective on smaller stages and the best part is, they are fairly small and their weight is minimal

James Feenstra

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 12:48:21 AM »

It is nearly impossible for me to discern a difference in light output from one hid lamp to another, even when there is a large drop-off in output from one lamp to another. Stare into an hid lamp long enough James and you will ruin your night vision
that's what a light meter is for...

by no means was I advocating staring into the bulb hahaha
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Bill Bluell

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 10:40:26 AM »

[/quote]that's what a light meter is for...

by no means was I advocating staring into the bulb hahaha
[/quote]
I have a light meter.... DUH. When the retina's in my eyes start to heat up, I know the lamp is bright
On another note, I will start by replacing the ballast out of the spare fixture. I'll let you know how it performs compared to the original

duane massey

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 12:03:45 AM »

I have worked with low-$$ fixture most of my life, no problem there. You just have to accept the limitations, do the best you can, and try like hell not to buy them again.
It is an odd problem. You're on the right track, just swap parts carefully until you find the problem. Not many components in the food chain on these fixtures, so it shouldn't take too long.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Bill Bluell

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 12:44:50 AM »

I have worked with low-$$ fixture most of my life, no problem there. You just have to accept the limitations, do the best you can, and try like hell not to buy them again.
It is an odd problem. You're on the right track, just swap parts carefully until you find the problem. Not many components in the food chain on these fixtures, so it shouldn't take too long.
Duane, I must confess, I like these lights. I was surprised when I opened them up to find that the build was pretty remarkable for an entry level mover. Everything was well organized and aside from some issues with solder joints and noisy fans, I have been very happy with these. As I mentioned before, the spare unit has, what I suspect is, a bad solder joint on one of the boards and is perfect for replacement parts. I will start with that ballast, as it makes the most sense when presented with the suggestion. If you think about shop lights and how often the ballast goes bad, it makes even more sense.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 12:44:50 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.