ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville Elite LS800P Subs - Do I need an external crossover?  (Read 6524 times)

Vince Gibbs

• The only thing constant in life is change.
    • Pure Sound Entertainment LLC

Hey guys,

I've been running my Yorkville ls800p subs from an aux send and adjusting their sound with the crossover knobs on the back.  This works great for the sound of the subs, however; I feel there is too much bass in my tops (Peavey Impulse 1015Ps).

Does anyone know if I connect the outputs of the Yorkvilles to the Peavey tops, can I control the high pass to the tops from the knobs on the back of the Yorkies?

Or do I need an external crossover to control the tops?

Also, if I do need an external crossover, would that interfere with the built in crossover on the Yorkies?
Vince Gibbs
Pure Sound Entertainment LLC
www.puresoundent.com

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Yorkville Elite LS800P Subs - Do I need an external crossover?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 09:36:50 PM »

Hey guys,

I've been running my Yorkville ls800p subs from an aux send and adjusting their sound with the crossover knobs on the back.  This works great for the sound of the subs, however; I feel there is too much bass in my tops (Peavey Impulse 1015Ps).

Does anyone know if I connect the outputs of the Yorkvilles to the Peavey tops, can I control the high pass to the tops from the knobs on the back of the Yorkies?

Or do I need an external crossover to control the tops?

Also, if I do need an external crossover, would that interfere with the built in crossover on the Yorkies?

From the Yorkville product literature:

"The control panel features a +/- 12dB Level pot for matching the LS800P's output with the rest of the system, a tunable 90 to 150Hz HF Roll off pot to let you match the LS800P to any full-range enclosure without an electronic crossover, a unique Shape control that modifies the bass response, a Line/Speaker Input Level button and LEDs to indicate Power, Limit and Clip."

Maybe there's a bit more in the manual.  Have you RTFM?

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Vince Gibbs

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:20:30 PM »

Yep, I RTFM but it wasn't clear to me how the built in crossover affects the output.

I have read online where some have said the crossover only affects the subs and not the outs.  That if you want to control the freq on the tops, you have to use an external crossover or whatever built-in features the tops may have.

My tops don't have any high pass features.

I thought I'd check in here first before calling Yorkville on Monday.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:22:16 PM by Vince Gibbs »
Vince Gibbs
www.puresoundent.com

Will Rigby

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »

It looks like the link connection is wired parallel with the input, before the high-pass. The service manual (http://www.yorkville.com/downloads/servman/smls800p.pdf) has some good diagrams.

Those subs are pretty substantial, too. We were running a pair underneath a pair of U15P tops, and the subs would outrun the tops pretty easily if I remember right (though I was the drummer on that gig, not FOH).

Vince Gibbs

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 11:49:54 PM »

It looks like the link connection is wired parallel with the input, before the high-pass. The service manual (http://www.yorkville.com/downloads/servman/smls800p.pdf) has some good diagrams.

Yes and that makes perfect sense.  I would want the link connection to be before the high pass and shape so that I can control the sound of both subs with the knobs on one.

But that doesn't tell me about the outputs (not links).

And you're right... these subs put out MAJOR low end and they are LOUD.  I love 'em!  My problem is that my Peaveys also put out a lot of bass and I feel I am not getting the best use out of my system because I have a ton of bass coming from my subs and my tops.  I need to know the best way to eliminate all that bass from my tops and still get the best sound from my Yorkville subs.
Vince Gibbs
www.puresoundent.com

Will Rigby

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 12:09:11 AM »

But that doesn't tell me about the outputs (not links).

I'm a bit confused - I don't remember them having any separate output connections - just the four links (2 TRS, 1 XLRF, and one XLRM, which are all paralleled per the service manual) and the mono blend input. I am thinking of the right LS800P, right?

For reference, here's the back (stolen from Yorky's website, but uploaded to ImageShack):

As for crossover settings, I would still run your subs aux-fed, use the Yorky crossover as the low-pass for the subs, and use a separate crossover to high-pass your tops, but I'm not an expert PA guy.

Vince Gibbs

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 02:18:48 AM »

Will, my man!  Thanks!!!

You are absolutely correct and you have answered my questions perfectly.  I didn't remember exactly what jacks were on the back of my subs and when I started researching this earlier today, I think I was looking at the manual for a different version of the ls800p... a more updated model that does have outputs on it.  My subs are currently stowed away deep inside my enclosed trailer and I didn't want to go dig 'em out to look behind them.

So now that I know exactly what jacks are back there from looking at your image, I know that I do need an external crossover for my top cabs.

Thanks so much man! :)
Vince Gibbs
www.puresoundent.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 02:18:48 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.