Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Active v Passive Acoustic Pickup? Help me decide.

(1/2) > >>

Jon Koziel:
Looking to pick up an LR Baggs M1 but I'm not sure if I should get the Active or Passive model.  I need to run into a xlr - xlr snake and then into a board with a pre-amp in the channel.  The snake is 200 - 300ft.  So on one hand the passive would require I run through a DI in order to boost the signal however I don't want to spend the additional money nor do I want additional gear.  The Active Pickup solves these needs but running it into a pre amped channel may cause the signal to be too hot?  Is this true?  Does anyone know if I ran the active pickup into a pre-amped channel if that would be a major issue?  Is there ways to work around that? Perhaps just keeping the gain low on the board.

Also I would need a 1/4" to XLRM in order to plug into the snake.  I can only find this in a Balanced TRS 1/4" to XLRM patch cable.  Does anyone know if this would cause any noise or hum issues?

Tim Padrick:
Even with a preamp you'll likely need a DI, as some preamps cannot drive a long line, some don't have a balanced output, and some cannot withstand the application of phantom power.

Walter W Wright:

--- Quote from: Jon Koziel on January 17, 2011, 08:32:35 PM ---The Active Pickup solves these needs but running it into a pre amped channel may cause the signal to be too hot?
--- End quote ---

the active M1 is not especially loud, so it won't be an issue. unless you're running an onboard preamp in the guitar, get the active version, not for increased volume, but to eliminate signal loss.

--- Quote from: Jon Koziel on January 17, 2011, 08:32:35 PM ---Also I would need a 1/4" to XLRM in order to plug into the snake.  I can only find this in a Balanced TRS 1/4" to XLRM patch cable.  Does anyone know if this would cause any noise or hum issues?

--- End quote ---
you want a direct box. you won't be able to plug a balanced TRS cable into the active version, as its output jack uses the ring terminal to switch on the preamp when a mono cable is plugged in.

(all right, first post on the new forum!)

Jon Koziel:
So for the DI....If I go with the passive M1 should I use an active direct box such as the LR Baggs PARA DI?  If I go with the active M1 should I use a passive direct box such as the Radial Pro DI?

Keith Broughton:
Active pick up, passive DI
Passive pick up, active DI

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version