ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley TH118 - is this normal?  (Read 8291 times)

Frederik Rosenkjær

Danley TH118 - is this normal?
« on: May 28, 2011, 01:44:59 PM »

I'd be very grateful is anyone with the proper knowledge could help verify this (hopefully):

I've just setup for a gig, and accidentally looked closely into my subs and saw what you see in the attached pic.

The thing I'm worried about is the light area where the cone meets the spider. Is it coming apart or is this just the way they look? The area seems to be a little "tapered" - ie. not equally wide as it goes around the side. (I think the picture bears this out somewhat). Don't know if that's an illusion, but it looks a bit as if the cone is pulling out of the spider.

The other sub looks KINDA the same, but the light area is not quite so wide. The subs are quite new, and have not been abused at all - max 2300W and only by me - ie. not buried into the limiters! The subs sound fine and show no (other) signs of wear.

So I'm essentially hoping for someone to put my mind at ease that this is just the way the B&C 18SW115 looks.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 01:51:17 PM by Frederik Rosenkjær »
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Uwe Riemer

Re: Danley TH118 - is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:37:50 AM »

I'd be very grateful is anyone with the proper knowledge could help verify this (hopefully):

I've just setup for a gig, and accidentally looked closely into my subs and saw what you see in the attached pic.

The thing I'm worried about is the light area where the cone meets the spider. Is it coming apart or is this just the way they look? The area seems to be a little "tapered" - ie. not equally wide as it goes around the side. (I think the picture bears this out somewhat). Don't know if that's an illusion, but it looks a bit as if the cone is pulling out of the spider.

The other sub looks KINDA the same, but the light area is not quite so wide. The subs are quite new, and have not been abused at all - max 2300W and only by me - ie. not buried into the limiters! The subs sound fine and show no (other) signs of wear.

So I'm essentially hoping for someone to put my mind at ease that this is just the way the B&C 18SW115 looks.

not much glue from the spider side, not that easy to judge from the picture

yes the tapering happens

put the transducer in free air, apply below 30 Hz sine wave, rise level until the speaker moves heavily ,but be careful not to destroy it and listen for mechanical noise

Uwe

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 04:41:02 PM »

Have you contacted Danley Sound Systems?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 05:58:07 PM »

I am aware of the question-as it is not so much a question about the Danely TH118-as it is a question about the B&C driver.  It is a stock driver.

I have not answered because I am out of the office untill tomorrow-at which time I will look and see if this is "normal".  My suspicion is that it is.  I seem to recall a small distance between the spider and the bottom of the cone.

If it were loose-it would be making a lot of noise/rattle/buzz etc-but since the OP said it appeared to be working OK, I don't think there is a problem.

Not all drivers have the cone that touches the spider.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 07:31:49 PM »

I am aware of the question-as it is not so much a question about the Danely TH118-as it is a question about the B&C driver.  It is a stock driver.

I have not answered because I am out of the office untill tomorrow-at which time I will look and see if this is "normal".  My suspicion is that it is.  I seem to recall a small distance between the spider and the bottom of the cone.

If it were loose-it would be making a lot of noise/rattle/buzz etc-but since the OP said it appeared to be working OK, I don't think there is a problem.

I'm sure that's the case - but don't you know that "Hm - why have I not noticed that before?"

Thanks to all who chimed in so far. Ivan, it would be great if you could confirm it!

Also, they performed as normal at the gig.

John Chiara

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 02:04:17 PM »

I'm sure that's the case - but don't you know that "Hm - why have I not noticed that before?"

Thanks to all who chimed in so far. Ivan, it would be great if you could confirm it!

Also, they performed as normal at the gig.

This has happened with almost all the old 18 Sound drivers in my TH 115's...I have reglued one twice. Haven't noticed it with a B&C replacement...yet.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 05:28:05 PM »

I seem to recall a small distance between the spider and the bottom of the cone.

In the picture the distance does not seem to be consistent around the circumference of the spider and cone.  Is that just lens distortion in the photo or does it actually look like that in real live, Frederik?

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 06:52:08 PM »

In the picture the distance does not seem to be consistent around the circumference of the spider and cone.  Is that just lens distortion in the photo or does it actually look like that in real live, Frederik?

Yes, that's what I tried to describe as the light area being "tapered". It does seem to be a little wider on the side that's facing outwards.

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 05:57:40 AM »

I wrote to B&C Speakers last night, and have received a reply this morning (very fast - good job!), which I thought I'd post:

Dear Frederik,

the speakers you have are ok.

First, depending on the cone depth  tolerance,  you may see slightly more or less voice coil former ( the gray part ) between the end of the cone and the spider.

Also the neck of the cone (the part where the voice coil is glued)  is not always cut perfectly parallel to the suspension edge, so you may see a little more former on one side and less to the other…

This not mean that the cone is skewed sideways!!  Infact, if this would be true, the woofer  will suffer of seriuos voice coil rubbing inside the gap, which is not the case.   

The important thing is that, seeing the woofer from the side,  the cone suspension edge and the spider must be parallel.

Hope this helps.

So I guess, I'm ok. Thanks to all who participated!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 05:57:40 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.