ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Walkie Talkie  (Read 7820 times)

Johnathan Chen

Walkie Talkie
« on: May 30, 2011, 12:18:34 PM »

Hi Guys,

What kind of communication equipment do you guys use to talk with each other during Live Sound?
I'm looking for a walkie talkie with a headset and microphone attached. something like the Midland GXT760VP4 (just an example).
My team exist of 5 to 6 persons.
What do you guys recommend?
The system must also be expandable, to at least 10 persons.

Dennis Awrey

Re: Walkie Talkie
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 01:14:41 PM »

Hi Guys,

What kind of communication equipment do you guys use to talk with each other during Live Sound?
I'm looking for a walkie talkie with a headset and microphone attached. something like the Midland GXT760VP4 (just an example).
Well known brands such as Clear-Com offer both wired and wireless stations that are compatible with each other. You can purchase wireless for "roamers" and wired for stationary positions.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 02:35:35 AM »

If you are considering FRS radios there are some things of which you should be aware.
FRS radio frequencies require no licensing but are limited to specific uses (or perhaps restricted from specific uses would be a better way to think of it).
Also, many FRS radios sold today have GMRS frequencies available.  Certain GMRS frequencies are legally useable only if you are licensed while others are useable without a license as long as you operate below certain power output requirements.

You really need to look into this if you want to use these frequency ranges for a church.

Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Johnathan Chen

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:24:03 AM »

If you are considering FRS radios there are some things of which you should be aware.
FRS radio frequencies require no licensing but are limited to specific uses (or perhaps restricted from specific uses would be a better way to think of it).

The only use of the radio will be communicating with each other and there will be max 3 groups (channels) used.
No other features are needed.  Is this within the limitation of the use of an FRS radio?

Also, many FRS radios sold today have GMRS frequencies available.  Certain GMRS frequencies are legally useable only if you are licensed while others are useable without a license as long as you operate below certain power output requirements.

You really need to look into this if you want to use these frequency ranges for a church.

How much of a (negative) influence can a FRS radio have on a church?

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:50:01 AM by Mac Kerr »

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 02:07:38 PM »

The only use of the radio will be communicating with each other and there will be max 3 groups (channels) used.
No other features are needed.  Is this within the limitation of the use of an FRS radio
?
Channels as typically used in production communications is a bit different than channels as applied to radios.  For example, in a typical comms system a Master Station could communicate with one channel, multiple channels or All Call, however with FRS radios you'd be limited to communicating on one channel at a time.  So if you had three 'groups' then it would not be possible to communicate with all three at once, just one at a time.  And changing channels is not just pushing a button for Channel 1, 2 or 3, it is likely to be more like going to a menu, selecting to change channels, selecting the desired channel from among all those available, confirming that selection and then possibly having to go through other menu items to get out.

You'd also be limited to half-duplex communication, i.e. you could talk or listen but not both at once.  If somebody starts a cue then you'd have to wait until they're done talking and release the channel before you could respond to tell them "Wait!", by which time it may be too late.

Don't trust the distances claimed for FRS radios, those are basically wishful thinking under ideal circumstances.  Indoors and with other RF sources and systems around can lead to much shorter practical distances.

Johnathan Chen

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 02:20:38 PM »

AAAHHH.. now I see the difference. It's a long way before you can chance a channel. Not so handy..!
So I'll have to dig deeper in my pockets to get a decent radio.

do you have any recommendations for me? max budget for 'walkie talkie system' for 6 people is $500. Will it be possible to get anything decent for that price?

quote author=Brad Weber link=topic=2858.msg15739#msg15739 date=1306865258]
Channels as typically used in production communications is a bit different than channels as applied to radios.  For example, in a typical comms system a Master Station could communicate with one channel, multiple channels or All Call, however with FRS radios you'd be limited to communicating on one channel at a time.  So if you had three 'groups' then it would not be possible to communicate with all three at once, just one at a time.  And changing channels is not just pushing a button for Channel 1, 2 or 3, it is likely to be more like going to a menu, selecting to change channels, selecting the desired channel from among all those available, confirming that selection and then possibly having to go through other menu items to get out.

You'd also be limited to half-duplex communication, i.e. you could talk or listen but not both at once.  If somebody starts a cue then you'd have to wait until they're done talking and release the channel before you could respond to tell them "Wait!", by which time it may be too late.

Don't trust the distances claimed for FRS radios, those are basically wishful thinking under ideal circumstances.  Indoors and with other RF sources and systems around can lead to much shorter practical distances.
[/quote]

for the record: will a average FRS radio work within a building of 60m x 40m?

Ron Balsom

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 03:13:43 AM »

Hi Guys,

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 09:04:46 AM »

Hi Guys,

Ron, did you mean to post something more than just the quote?

Johnathan Chen

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 09:06:45 AM »

Ron, did you mean to post something more than just the quote?

haha.. I thought so too!
But he posted his reply in my other post: Introduction..

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 09:14:44 AM »

for the record: will a average FRS radio work within a building of 60m x 40m?
It would probably work just fine within a 60mx40m space, but the critical word there is "within".  If that is a big open space then everything would probably be fine but if there are metal stud walls, reinforced concrete slabs, large ducts or conduit banks, etc. between people then the distances can decrease significantly.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 09:14:44 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 23 queries.