ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Front of House from side of stage???  (Read 8908 times)

James A. Griffin

Re: Front of House from side of stage???
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 09:04:09 PM »

And just to make sure everyone know it:  most event planners don't know shit about anything other than tables and chairs, no matter what they claim. 

You've worked with a party planner who knows something about tables and chairs?  Most of the ones I see subcontract out that work, too.   
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Lee Brenkman

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 09:40:49 PM »

Then there was the time when the event planner didn't even want me at the side of the stage (I must be really ugly ::)).  Their preferred location was backstage...
GTD

I quite enjoyed being totally detached from the audience/gig and mixing next to my colleague, we could nose/listen at each others work in real time during the show.

SERIOUSLY stressful though, especially as I wasn't allowed in-front of the main system during soundcheck due to the dance floor/main area being "waxed"!!!!

been there, done that but in a convention center holding 4,000 people behind the stage AND behind the projection screen that with it's associated curtains completely blocked my, and the monitor guy's view of the band.

At least we didn't need a com to talk with each other.

I did however have a com to one of the spotlight operators.
Yes somehow it was okay to erect two 8 x 8 foot spot platforms at the back of the room. but not the 6 x 6 foot space I would have required.  He was an old friend who's ears I trusted.

It also helped that by that time I'd been mixing FOH for this band for about eight years.

As for the floor polishing I had to, on more than one occasion, do this band's sound checks from a second balcony "FOH" position but with a floor to ceiling balloon wall in front of the entire stage.  I didn't "see" the band until the first fanfare of the opening song when the wall exploded and "revealed" the band.

The event planner and their "scenic designer" always got their rocks off when that happened.

Rafi Singer

• Singer Production Company
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 11:38:04 PM »

I have to do this on a fairly regular basis in the context of doing sound for a few GB bands. It can be really easy or difficult depending on the room. Ultimately, my quick answer is "get a digital board that can be accessed by a tablet. However, that may or may not be an option.

Obviously, there will be quite a bit of walking, but make sure you periodically take a minute or so to stand in front of the band. I find that I tend to get into a trend of walking out, listening for half a second, then going back to make an adjustment. Usually I'm right, but sometimes what I'm hearing is a sudden, infrequent spike. Taking a minute to listen helps me get better idea of the whole mix.

Brian Lloyd

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 12:32:10 PM »

ive had to do this all as well. they stuck me SR about 15ft off stage by the distro's! great since i do monitors from FOH. i ended up using a combo of ipad for tuning, in-ears and nearfields to get the job done. all that plus alot of..."well theres nothing i can do...they SOLD out and left me 3 seats!"

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 12:58:18 PM »

Recently at a major fundraiser event, 3 stages in multiple closed halls (cocktail area, main dinner area and after show party area) mixer and galileo set up were in one fixed position. Used an A&H ILive system with iLive Editor on my macbook pro and an ipad with Mixpad app, (mon mixer did the same and from the same mixrack) we walked the different rooms .....wearing a tux! many thought I was connected to my broker trading stocks...... 8)

RayS

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 07:23:57 PM »

I read to do it once, but thank God I have a LS9 an could mix it from a laptop (no ipad around that time).
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

Larry Robbins

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 03:32:21 AM »

I regularly work a City operated auditorium where sound is always run from the side of stage.  The program usually consists of speech and track playback for commencements, dance contests and the like.  I tried to interest them in getting a digital mixer with remote capabilities but there is no budget.....a familiar response :-[

I have a hot spot at the mix, but usually keep it down when I am trying to feel the "heat" from the mains.  Where it really hurts to be out of the sound field of the mains is when I am playing hot tracks and want to EQ them on the fly.  It's really hard to discern how much 2.5K is hitting the audience from behind a proscenium and a leg!!!
Retired, went sailing, went broke, worked in Miami while living aboard, sold boat, bought house where family is (Redding CA). Bought a Motorhome to explore in covid isolation.  Making a nice music-media center out of dinette...off to the boonies as the smoke clears.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 07:48:55 AM »

Has anyone set up a mono or stereo mic out in the audience area to "hear" how the mix sounds from out in the audience while you are stuck near the stage?

Gus Housen

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 02:25:20 PM »

We actually do this pretty often. its not ideal but honestly unless its a band with a rider, it simply isnt worth fighting with the event coodinator. It costs a little more in shoe leather but thats fine.

I have set up a referance mic into a small mixer before to listem to the mix, but usually i try to just get myself and the band there early enough to do a sound check and bring someone who know enough about sound to tell me if something is really off and do hand gestures/text/etc

If its a AV gig, I almost always just do it unless there is no way I can walk the room during a a event.

I even do a couple of fesivals this way just because they wont let me use  or pay for yellow jackets and vehicles have to drive where the snake is layed.

I have actually gotten a few gigs just because i try to be easy
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:28:15 PM by Gus Housen »

Tracy Garner

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 03:43:53 PM »

I almost always do FOH from the side for track acts - especially if I am the one providing the playback. There is rarely more than two monitor mixes. Often, you are close enough to the FOH stack to know what is coming out of the front of the boxes.

If I'm not actually on the stage, I might consider doing FOH from the side. Its a toss up at that point.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 03:43:53 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.