ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wooden cable trunks.  (Read 882 times)

Brian Bolly

• Homeward Bound
Re: Wooden cable trunks.
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 08:58:59 PM »

Got a customer who is looking for some cable trunks. He saw some from Clair brothers where the lid flops all the way over. I know they make their own, has anyone else ever seen or heard of another company making those style of cases?

Any reputable case company can build them.  We've done runs of them in-house, on and off over the last 15 or so years with 18mm birch.  They're...fine.  They have their advantages and disadvantages.  If you have access to a CNC or good table saw, they're an easy "off-season" project if you need to roll out a bunch of trunks and keep staff busy.  A gallon of titebond and an air nailer get them assembled rather quickly, and then your usual duratex or fiberglass to get them coated.

As others have noted, the box itself is smaller than the final OD, and the framing that "holds" it together acts as bumpers and fills out your OD.  If you decide to go in-house and know your board thickness and blade/router kerf, you can lay out your cuts easily using an online cut list calculator.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2021, 10:30:47 PM »

Hmmm... I would have thought strength and stiffness would be just as valuable in a cable trunk hauling 1000lbs of cable as in a subwoofer.
Mac

Strength, yes.  Stiffness? Eh, who cares.  If the sides flex and deform a little, it doesn't really matter all that much, as long as the case stays intact.  The sides need to be thick enough not to crack and break. That's about it.

I've seen cases that are steel frames with essentially a canvas bag inside.  Strong, durable and light weight.
Brian Jojade

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2021, 11:29:18 PM »

Strength, yes.  Stiffness? Eh, who cares.  If the sides flex and deform a little, it doesn't really matter all that much, as long as the case stays intact.  The sides need to be thick enough not to crack and break. That's about it.

I've seen cases that are steel frames with essentially a canvas bag inside.  Strong, durable and light weight.

Steel frame and a canvas bag is basically a drape hamper.  I have never seen them used for anything other than drape or I did see someone bring a bunch of stingers in one.  You can't stack them in the truck easily either.  We keep 150 linear feet of drape in a hamper and just send them out in that increment unless it is a really small order. 

I have never seen the wood cases that are being described in this thread but we did get four cases from a touring theater production.  They are made from 3/4 plywood I think, no corners or extrusions of any type.  I will take a picture tomorrow.  Those cases take an amazing amount of abuse.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steven Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2021, 08:21:21 AM »

We use similar cases to the Clair trunks mentioned. We had them built by a local cabinet guy. 24"x30" OD.

John Halliburton

• White pointy beard, knows zip...about chicken.
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2021, 09:11:58 AM »

1"!?  That's heavy enough to survive being run over by a truck.

Never saw any from 25mm Baltic, their standard cable trunk is 18mm.   Then they 'glass 'em as well.  They mean it when the tag says "World's Toughest".

http://www.rrcases.com/fgtrunkmoreinfo.htm

Best regards,

John

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2021, 10:02:19 AM »

Never saw any from 25mm Baltic, their standard cable trunk is 18mm.   Then they 'glass 'em as well.  They mean it when the tag says "World's Toughest".

http://www.rrcases.com/fgtrunkmoreinfo.htm

Best regards,

John
Just for clarity, I think that's not a "flop over" lid, but a lid that stays vertical when opened. That style of lid should be banned, IMHO.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Mal Brown

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2021, 10:54:33 AM »

If I were building I would use 12mm Oakume or Baltic.  Rabbet and dado plus internal corner bracing.  Once glued up, pretty close to indestructible.
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2021, 02:14:36 PM »

Just for clarity, I think that's not a "flop over" lid, but a lid that stays vertical when opened. That style of lid should be banned, IMHO.

True. I know R&R will build the 270 hinged flat lids but their stock design is as illustrated.  The primary difference is the stock design is for stack loading.  The flat lid doesn't have the same capacity.  And yes, those big lids are not for amateurs. ;)
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2021, 12:12:27 AM »

I had a deal going to buy some caddy cases from Clair a couple years ago. The pricing was great, even with shipping they beat Anvil. Not sure if Clair will still sell them, as their business model has changed. Anvil does polyurea coating like truck bead liner, which is an expensive process requiring special equipment.

I ended up buying some remade caddies from Armando, they're bare wood with come sort of clear laminate that he'd bought and found he couldn't paint, so I got a steal on them.

One note, I had wanted recessed lids but ended up with top over lids. I was unhappy with that until the day I knocked a large beverage over on one and it rolled off the outside of the case instead of going inside.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealers for all this stuff

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #19 on: Today at 05:36:39 PM »

Douglas Fir is very strong and stronger than birch, fur Shure !

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: Today at 05:36:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 24 queries.