ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cobbling together a small system - advice?  (Read 3657 times)

pat rodriguez

cobbling together a small system - advice?
« on: May 26, 2011, 10:05:47 PM »

Hi! Just went through and did some inventory on my  stuff, and was wondering how to turn what I have into a decent , small portable PA.  The idea here is to keep some, sell some, and buy what's missing.
 Nothing fancy, but I do need it to sound good (the usual application would be living rooms, back yards, some bars that dont have sound systems, a little bit of dj, and some rock bands where the Pa does mostly vocal, some kick drum, perhaps keys) and the occasional outdoor movie in summertime.
- for mains I got a pair of bag end TA12's (love them) so I'll just build on that for now
-no subs, but I was considering getting one (1)Yorkville Ucs1 , would that be sufficient?

-I also have lying around a pair of Bag end ta12jr, 2 jbl mp410's
(thinking about using the ta12jr as monitors(?)
maybe selling the jbls?)
- Power: crown Power base 2, qsc rmx 1450, and a peavey plx 1000 (single rack space!)
- current board older mackie 1604 VLZ + a flight case w/ 6 space rack)
- guess I would need a crossover and an EQ and?

Anyway if any body has any suggestions of how turn all of this into a nice little system , that would be great!

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Real names are required
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 03:15:06 AM »

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real full name as required by the posting rules clearly displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section.
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

pat rodriguez

Re: cobbling together a small system - advice?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 06:12:45 AM »

oops! thought it would have carried over from the old board.
anywho- back to the topic?

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 07:05:05 AM »

You didn't really mention how much of an area you wanted to cover, so with that in mind and only slightly building off of what you currently have...

- your amps are fine (though, do you mean a Peavey CS 1000?)
- you will need a crossover and at least 2 x 31 band EQ channels (1 chnl each for FOH and monitor)
- you will need at least one sub.  The Yorkville will be fine - however, none of the amplifiers you have can "properly" drive that speaker.  The closest amp would be the Peavey 1000 in bridged mode.  May need to consider another subwoofer or get a larger amp.
- the Bag End TA12 speakers don't really support the kind of power you may need for live sound; as well, may be marginal power for DJ use
- mixing board is fine.

Mark Waker

• Balanced Output
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »

Cheapest route would be to buy a powered sub (QSC KW181 for example) and a graphic with a decent high pass filter. Use an aux from your Mackie to feed the sub, and knock the low end out of your mains with the high pass filter (80 Hz should do it) then sell your left over amps. JMHO Peace

Hi! Just went through and did some inventory on my  stuff, and was wondering how to turn what I have into a decent , small portable PA.  The idea here is to keep some, sell some, and buy what's missing.
 Nothing fancy, but I do need it to sound good (the usual application would be living rooms, back yards, some bars that dont have sound systems, a little bit of dj, and some rock bands where the Pa does mostly vocal, some kick drum, perhaps keys) and the occasional outdoor movie in summertime.
- for mains I got a pair of bag end TA12's (love them) so I'll just build on that for now
-no subs, but I was considering getting one (1)Yorkville Ucs1 , would that be sufficient?

-I also have lying around a pair of Bag end ta12jr, 2 jbl mp410's
(thinking about using the ta12jr as monitors(?)
maybe selling the jbls?)
- Power: crown Power base 2, qsc rmx 1450, and a peavey plx 1000 (single rack space!)
- current board older mackie 1604 VLZ + a flight case w/ 6 space rack)
- guess I would need a crossover and an EQ and?

Anyway if any body has any suggestions of how turn all of this into a nice little system , that would be great!

pat rodriguez

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 05:34:29 PM »

awesome...I'll look into the qsc sub, that might ease the number of boxes to tote around.  I've found that around here the size of the system is more than enough for a band's vocals, and house parties, and Low $$ gigs. Anything bigger, n I'd have to get paid real money (good luck with that in this town!)

Any recommendations on a good eq?  I was leaning toward those Peavey's that have the leds that light up when it feedbacks etc...just to make my life easier...
 thanx for the feedback!

ohh! and the Peavey amp is a DPC 1000, single rack space digital amp, pretty light and clear for its size, rated @ 1000 watts bridges 8ohm, 500w, stereo into 4ohm ...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 05:37:19 PM by pat rodriguez »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 05:34:29 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 25 queries.