ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Listen wedge at FOH  (Read 14254 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Listen wedge at FOH
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 09:36:13 AM »

I would think that most budget FOH mixers don't have the ability to monitor the aux sends individually.

Really?
I'd think the venerable GL2200 is the archetypal entry level "small gig with mons from FoH" desk, and it certainly can do it - I'd assume everything bigger/better than that would too.

Were you thinking of much smaller/cheaper desks perhaps?
Cheers,
David.

Yes, I was.

I've used a few of the GL series mixers, but many weekend warriors have either poorer or more portable setups. Just sayin.

Headphone jack.  Just sayin'.

The headphone jack won't help if the aux masters don't have AFL buttons.

I suppose it all depends on what mixer you use. Some can do it, some cannot.

So you're trying to do monitors from FOH with a board that has no cue jack and no way to solo the auxes.  I think the monitor situation is the least of your concerns.  You should keep looking in dumpsters until you find a better board......
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Schimpf

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 09:53:48 AM »

Does anyone do this when mixing monitors from FOH? I can see a few problems like confusion with FOH and pissing off punters...

I've actually convinced myself it's a bad idea.... uuummm.... may as well ask the question anyway....

Yes, I have done this, it works. Nothing replaces the ability to accurately judge what the musician on stage is actually hearing. Headphones can work if you really know what the wedges sound like beforehand.

It is amazing to me how often I see a monitoring setup that has no cue or a different speaker than what the people on stage are using, or have the speaker on a case lid. I don't get it..

Try it! Just don't piss off the audience in the process.

John

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 11:24:54 AM »

Actually, when mixing monitors from FOH, I hardly ever listen to the monitors.  I know my system well enough and know how to make the monitors sound good.  From there I just give the guys what they ask for and that's the end of it.  I really have no need to hear what they hear.  I can cue in with headphones if needed , but I rarely do.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 12:04:58 PM »

So you're trying to do monitors from FOH with a board that has no cue jack and no way to solo the auxes.  I think the monitor situation is the least of your concerns.  You should keep looking in dumpsters until you find a better board......

I don't know what prompted that rude comment, but apparently you felt it was necessary.

FYI, I run monitors from stage-side with a monitor mixer that can indeed cue all mixes. I also use the same model wedge and amp as the ones on stage. But, thanks for your help anyway.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 12:07:31 PM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2011, 12:20:30 PM »

I don't know what prompted that rude comment, but apparently you felt it was necessary.

FYI, I run monitors from stage-side with a monitor mixer that can indeed cue all mixes. I also use the same model wedge and amp as the ones on stage. But, thanks for your help anyway.

Rude, perhaps, but real... except for the dumpster diving part.  One can pay full retail for inadequate products.

Dick produces live broadcast feeds & recordings in addition to live sound reinforcement, and has been doing so since Marconi's spark gaps.  While he may be a bit coarse, he's spot on.  Don't take it personally unless, as they say, the shoe fits.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2011, 12:26:19 PM »

Does anyone do this when mixing monitors from FOH? I can see a few problems like confusion with FOH and pissing off punters...

I've actually convinced myself it's a bad idea.... uuummm.... may as well ask the question anyway....

Yes, I have done this, it works. Nothing replaces the ability to accurately judge what the musician on stage is actually hearing. Headphones can work if you really know what the wedges sound like beforehand.

It is amazing to me how often I see a monitoring setup that has no cue or a different speaker than what the people on stage are using, or have the speaker on a case lid. I don't get it..

Try it! Just don't piss off the audience in the process.

John

How can you tell what the wedge sounds like at FOH with the mains going? A wedge at FOH has no more relationship to the wedge onstage than a good pair of cans does. I liked in Dave Rat's recent article how he talked about using cans as a consistant point of reference for all parts of the system.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 12:28:24 PM by Jay Barracato »
Jay Barracato

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2011, 12:34:49 PM »

The comment is peer review because the professionals are not going to let nonsense stand.

This is still PRO sound web. The assumption that just because a post is in the lounge the user only has access to the cheapest and most basic tools (or just toys) lowers the conversation to the point where it is of no value. Before long all that is here is random opinion.

When the professionals talk about what the accepted best practices are in the industry, personally, I tend to listen.
Jay Barracato

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2011, 02:14:36 PM »

I don't know, I think it is possible to give advice without being rude and it should be expected if not required here.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2011, 04:02:12 PM »

I don't consider it to be rude and did not intend it that way.  If you think that's rude, you haven't seen very much rude.  As Tim said, coarse, but true. And as to the dumpster reference.......I have found very usable sound gear in dumpsters including a few older Yamaha 8 and 16 channel consoles, some HeathKit amps and preamps that still work, reverb units, graphic EQ's and more.  Most of it was still functioning.  Those that weren't have been given away  for parts.

Don't dis dumpsters.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

thomas jones

• NE WI
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 04:44:21 PM »

Plus you can sometimes find useable food items to replenish the body while doing the tricky maneuvers required.
I came late but I made up for it by leaving early.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 04:44:21 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.