ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elation Platinum Spot 15R  (Read 5253 times)

Kevin Esprella

• No Regret Productions
Elation Platinum Spot 15R
« on: May 25, 2011, 02:31:07 AM »

Any one using these fixtures. Looking to upgrade to better movers and looking at these or maybe VL2500s or Mac 700s. I like the weight and size of the 15rs but I'm a little hesitate about the power output. Yes I've seen that Elation says the 15rs are 700-1200 light output comparable but is this really achievable with only a 300 watt bulb. Also I would like to get some input on what people think about the quality of these light as well.

John Strzalkowski

Re: Elation Platinum Spot 15R
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 10:33:24 PM »

I as well am interested in these. I heard through the grapevine that the lamp is very similar to an LCD TV bulb in terms of fragility. I do not know enough about the lamp tech to comment on it, but I would for certain like to know about light quality and rigidity over time. (obviously these lights are newer and there probably hasn't been too much wear and tear yet, but there may be some nuances that I do not know about)

Ray Cerwinski

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 11:54:01 PM »

While I haven't yet had first-hand experience with these fixtures, I will comment on the optical path of the fixture. Due to the extremely tight beam out of reflector, the gobos are outrageously small and we were unable to secure custom gobos for anything past a single block letter or low-res breakups. Picture if you will, trying to cut a gobo the size of a pencil eraser! This may or may not be an issue at some point down the road, but certainly something to keep in mind while the various gobo manufacturers are trying to keep up with all the new developments.
Ray Cerwinski

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 11:09:46 AM »

I've never used the 15R but have several 5R's.  I like them a lot.  For the price there's really nothing better, in my opinion.  However, if the 15R is in the same price range as a MAC700 or VL2500 I would probably go with one of those.  They're more available so easier to rent (and rent out) if you need more.

Kevin Esprella

• No Regret Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 12:11:46 PM »

While I haven't yet had first-hand experience with these fixtures, I will comment on the optical path of the fixture. Due to the extremely tight beam out of reflector, the gobos are outrageously small and we were unable to secure custom gobos for anything past a single block letter or low-res breakups. Picture if you will, trying to cut a gobo the size of a pencil eraser! This may or may not be an issue at some point down the road, but certainly something to keep in mind while the various gobo manufacturers are trying to keep up with all the new developments.

Ya I was thinking about that when I saw the housing for the yoke plus having that small of a beam angle doesn't give you the feel that I would want from a mover. I always liked the fact that with movers you got a large beam coming from the fixture. Also the fixture is very small so chances of getting custom gobos are going to be hard, at least right now. Great points!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 12:11:46 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.